Mavic Air bad camera?
123Next >
7637 80 2018-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dcdegallier
lvl.1
United States

I'm having the same issues with mine, warped horizons and as a result none of my panos are stitching very successfully. Should I wait for a FW update or try to exchange my unit? Will warranty cover this? I ordered it on the launch date and received it the following week. I also have perpetual gimbal drift since day one. It got "better" after a fw update, but still noticeable on the horizon drift.
2018-2-23
Use props
fansd86c82a3
lvl.1
Botswana

Im not sure if it bodes well for Mavic Air users as I have been liaising with their support people and after sending them test video of the warping, this is the answer I have had back

"I have provided all your videos to our R&D team and they checked it for you, according to the R&D team, the videos that you provided are normal, there is no problem of your drone"

I have already asked them if there will be a firmware update to correct this issue and they have omitted to answer that.... so I don't know where we stand
2018-2-24
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-19 04:26
So, I finally had some time to upload a video

https://youtu.be/mv1aDyIGX-M

for me that distortion in vid is really annoying! I would just exchange unit.
2018-2-24
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

KREMi Posted at 2018-2-24 02:02
for me that distortion in vid is really annoying! I would just exchange unit.

I'm seriously considering that option, but because it seems to be a very common problem, I think a new unit would have the same issue.
2018-2-24
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

fansd86c82a3 Posted at 2018-2-24 01:08
Im not sure if it bodes well for Mavic Air users as I have been liaising with their support people and after sending them test video of the warping, this is the answer I have had back

"I have provided all your videos to our R&D team and they checked it for you, according to the R&D team, the videos that you provided are normal, there is no problem of your drone"

That does not sound promissing...
2018-2-24
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

If 2nd unit would be also so bad - then just return it and take a full refund. As drone don't give/offer/record what was advertised as his key points. Sorry, but I just don't see any such distortion in vids they presented officialy, in webpage/press materials neither. So...it's not normal. But with that explanation "there is no problem with your drone" 8/10 person will accept it, even tho they got (IMHO) faulty unit. And for DJI it's 8 drones which they don't have to fix/replace. so it's a sales bullsh...ing. BTW if R&D team don't see distortion in that video...then DJI next drone will be a great FAIL, as they must be blind.
but it's up to You.
2018-2-24
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

KREMi Posted at 2018-2-24 05:39
If 2nd unit would be also so bad - then just return it and take a full refund. As drone don't give/offer/record what was advertised as his key points. Sorry, but I just don't see any such distortion in vids they presented officialy, in webpage/press materials neither. So...it's not normal. But with that explanation "there is no problem with your drone" 8/10 person will accept it, even tho they got (IMHO) faulty unit. And for DJI it's 8 drones which they don't have to fix/replace. so it's a sales bullsh...ing. BTW if R&D team don't see distortion in that video...then DJI next drone will be a great FAIL, as they must be blind.
but it's up to You.

You are right, can't ague anything you say.

I'm still hoping that they're just saying 'there is nothing wrong with your unit' to refrain you from sending it back and that there is a firmware patch on its way. But that  might indeed be in vain.

Moderators not replying on the issue, while there seems to be quite a few experiencing this, is not comforting either.
2018-2-25
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-25 00:47
You are right, can't ague anything you say.

I'm still hoping that they're just saying 'there is nothing wrong with your unit' to refrain you from sending it back and that there is a firmware patch on its way. But that  might indeed be in vain.

IMHO ussualy Mods jumps into such topic pretty early with "we wanna help You", "go support" advice.
(based of dozens, or maybe hundrets forum "I got a problem" posts)
and in this case with hard proofs (photo, vids) they just avoid topic completly - so I can be pretty sure - there is already a internal DJI rule/order to skip/avoid those potentially "dangerous" topics. DJI must be pretty aware of it... and they now worrying that it might lower sales or start a big refund/replace action.
Not long ago it was a diselgate fun, maybe now it's time for a focusgate? ;)

that enough Sherlocking ;) for today
2018-2-25
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

KREMi Posted at 2018-2-25 12:17
IMHO ussualy Mods jumps into such topic pretty early with "we wanna help You", "go support" advice.
(based of dozens, or maybe hundrets forum "I got a problem" posts)
and in this case with hard proofs (photo, vids) they just avoid topic completly - so I can be pretty sure - there is already a internal DJI rule/order to skip/avoid those potentially "dangerous" topics. DJI must be pretty aware of it... and they now worrying that it might lower sales or start a big refund/replace action.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, I'm sad to say they seem to make sense
2018-2-25
Use props
fansd86c82a3
lvl.1
Botswana

Here is the final response from DJI support after supplying yet more test videos...

"Dear Roger,

Good news to you, according to our R&D team, there is no problem with your drone, the video that you provided is normal. Please be noted.

Thank you and have a nice day!"

.... apparently its good news that this drone has warping and bubbling as standard and that its quite "normal"

Frankly Im appalled at the attitude and its seems that I will get this even if they replace it.... so I have wasted my money on the drone.
2018-2-26
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

fansd86c82a3 Posted at 2018-2-26 21:07
Here is the final response from DJI support after supplying yet more test videos...

"Dear Roger,

I'm so glad I didn't buy at DJI directly, I'll hang on for it a few firmware updates, and if it doesn't get resolved I'll bring it back to the store I bought it from.
2018-2-27
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
United Kingdom

If it is normal i don't expect a firmware update for it. The best thing is to wait for a good lens profile for post corrections.....
2018-2-27
Use props
MennoH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75118 ft
Netherlands

i have the same... come on DJI. please acknowledge the fact this is not how it should be?
2018-2-27
Use props
ulfw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 281381 ft
Turkey

I regret dearly that I sold my Spark (and before the heavier bigger Mavic Pro). The Mavic Pro took so-so pictures but the Spark (while taking bad video) took wonderful pictures. Especially panoramas were colourful, sharp, a real delight. Especially for small comparatively cheaper drone.

This Mavic Air is a disaster. Even with lowest ISO I have seen noise that I haven't seen since the days of my 2MP Canon back in 2001. It's bad no matter what settings I try. The sharpness is worse than my original iPhone with it's 2MP fixes lens.
DNG barely improves things and HDR barely either. It's like the lens is misaligned as hell or made out of the cheapest plastic elements mankind can find and no one at DJI bothered to even test it. It's blurry, fuzzy spots all over and distorted. Even a 45MP Panorama scaled down in Photoshop to a 12MP image is less sharp than a Spark direct 12MP image was.

And don't even get me started about the lack of colours or the completely lacking dynamic range. Good luck trying to get rid of blown highlights because as soon as something is even a tiny bit less than well-light, the noise levels are out of this world.

I wish I could return this thing.
2018-2-27
Use props
MennoH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75118 ft
Netherlands

lets hope a FW fix will come... between the last two updates there were 13 day's in between. (see release notes) last update was on the 9th this month... so in theory.. ;-)
2018-2-27
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Netherlands

ulfw Posted at 2018-2-27 11:17
I regret dearly that I sold my Spark (and before the heavier bigger Mavic Pro). The Mavic Pro took so-so pictures but the Spark (while taking bad video) took wonderful pictures. Especially panoramas were colourful, sharp, a real delight. Especially for small comparatively cheaper drone.

This Mavic Air is a disaster. Even with lowest ISO I have seen noise that I haven't seen since the days of my 2MP Canon back in 2001. It's bad no matter what settings I try. The sharpness is worse than my original iPhone with it's 2MP fixes lens.

Then use RAW. The RAW photo's are VEY usable. You can get a much better result......
2018-2-27
Use props
NFG
lvl.2
Australia

I have the same problem with my Mavic Air.  I'm very surprised, considering DJI's reputation, that the warping issue is this bad.  It's embarrassing, frankly.  Most of us have a phone in our pocket that does a better job, at a much smaller size.

It's not really forgivable, IMO.  Lens manufacturing is not a new science.  It's not even a tremendously difficult science, it seems.  Someone at DJI just forgot, or didn't bother, or didn't want to correct this distortion before it went to manufacturing.  Our loss.
2018-2-27
Use props
fansd86c82a3
lvl.1
Botswana

DJI,  who are reading this.... clearly don't have the balls to respond... and thats lacks professionalism and awareness of customer dissatisfaction....
2018-2-27
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

Tadango Posted at 2018-2-27 12:11
Then use RAW. The RAW photo's are VEY usable. You can get a much better result......

No option for video though...
2018-2-28
Use props
Viridis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Most mobile devices have this.
It's a corrective lens for the rediculous barrell distortion wide lenses create.
Difference is, mobiles record video cropped, so you pretty much don't see it.
You do on photos tho..
large (1).jpeg
2018-2-28
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

Viridis Posted at 2018-2-28 04:01
It's a corrective lens for the rediculous barrell distortion wide lenses create.

There is your problem, its an MSI keyboard, those come warped right out of the factory.
2018-2-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Viridis Posted at 2018-2-28 04:01

Huh, what mobile did you use to take this?
2018-2-28
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mmh, i see just a little on my phone (Moto G5+) to, but much less then with the Air
2018-2-28
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489446 ft
United States

JBInspire Posted at 2018-2-3 14:20
Thanks, does help a little I guess, but I would like to hear other peoples experience of the air to see if they are having similar issues to discount an issue with my camera/lens.

I have noticed it too, it's all in the lens design and construction, like another poster stated, more expensive lenses have shown that notable "wave" lens correction firmware should be able to fix it just like photo editing software can. the magic air id defiantly a flawed jewel right now, hope dpi fixes the issues but I'm not holding my breath.
2018-3-10
Use props
John Mclaughlin 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489446 ft
United States

at least the tree line hides it a little, I thought I was being too picky when I saw it, funny thing is that the spark's lens isn't this bad.
2018-3-10
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The MP and MPP appear to be spot on, wonder why there is distortion in some of the MA lenses , might be the UV filter QC
2018-3-10
Use props
rockface
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9386 ft
United States

"Unfortunately, the Mavic Air is not an approved device for insurance missions."

The above response was received from DroneBase support. Just tried to register my Mavic Air to do aerial photography for real estate and insurance.

So sad!!!
2018-4-10
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

rockface Posted at 2018-4-10 09:58
"Unfortunately, the Mavic Air is not an approved device for insurance missions."

The above response was received from DroneBase support. Just tried to register my Mavic Air to do aerial photography for real estate and insurance.

Hmmm, That answer screams for a follow up question.
2018-4-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry for the late cover of this thread. Please help to confirm this, no filters mounted and the lens was clean right? Could you please provide me with the original pictures on the drone for further checking? Please upload to Dropbox and paste the link here. Thank you.
2018-4-11
Use props
DH_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-4-11 19:26
Sorry for the late cover of this thread. Please help to confirm this, no filters mounted and the lens was clean right? Could you please provide me with the original pictures on the drone for further checking? Please upload to Dropbox and paste the link here. Thank you.

I could confirm this unpleasant barrel effect on two Mavics Air I own. I could confirm no filter used. Happening in auto and also in M mode.
2018-4-12
Use props
DH_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

DH_Pilot Posted at 2018-4-12 07:31
I could confirm this unpleasant barrel effect on two Mavics Air I own. I could confirm no filter used. Happening in auto and also in M mode.

One photo with issue visible. Visible in the corners of photo and in the center.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5g2f8fy4jt7q0e/DJI_0026.JPG?dl=0
2018-4-12
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

Can confirm as well, And I see it in virtually every Mavic Air video as well, once you've seen it it can't be unseen.

I'll be shooting some vids in the weekend for some examples.
2018-4-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

DH_Pilot Posted at 2018-4-12 07:41
One photo with issue visible. Visible in the corners of photo and in the center.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5g2f8fy4jt7q0e/DJI_0026.JPG?dl=0

Thank you for your info. I had forwarded this case to the engineers to confirm. Will come back if I hear any news. Appreciate your patience.
2018-4-13
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

DJI strikes again!
2018-4-13
Use props
Karolina
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106299 ft

I have noticed the barrel distortion right from the beginning. It looks awful in videos, especially when panoraming (yawing). It is really annoying... Now what can be done?
2018-4-13
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

Karolina Posted at 2018-4-13 23:31
I have noticed the barrel distortion right from the beginning. It looks awful in videos, especially when panoraming (yawing). It is really annoying... Now what can be done?

Hi Karoline,

I suggest everybody who encounters this issue to upload example video's and respond to DJI Thor's message https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=133180&page=2#pid1301465

I haven't come around to it myself, and will try to get footage this weekend.
2018-4-14
Use props
Lucian Vaduva
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59114 ft
Romania

I bought Mavic Air yesterday. Unboxed and first video in 4k@30fps, big distorsion in the center when yawing, panning horizontally. Please let me know if this is fixable by firmware or should I return to the store!! I have only 14 days to return safely !
2018-4-24
Use props
Johnny C!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44839 ft
United States

I have been intending to move up from my Spark to
an Air to be able to have access to raw images &
retain the pano options.

Has this distortion issue been resolved?

Thanks!
2018-7-24
Use props
djiuser_xLE6O03jcrPU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1198346 ft
Romania

I have the same problem , I regret that I sold my Spark !
2018-10-10
Use props
QuadFunAus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38835 ft
Australia

KREMi Posted at 2018-2-24 05:39
but it's up to You.

Is this why horizontal pano's are all curved on the MA?
2018-10-11
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules