3366 32 2018-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Msorbs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 20588182 ft
  • >>>
United States

My mavic air after initial take off sounds like the motors are all off balance. Jitters and is very loud as if nothing is balanced. As it is hovering either 6 feet off the ground or up 300+ feet above. I have done 2 full factory restores, IMU and compass calibrations with no luck. i have tried also installing the prop guards thinking it was just a software glitch with thinking they were on and hoping it would recalibrate itself once off again. Has anyone had any issues with this? Any Ideas as to what? There is no setting to turn off prop guards in the DJI GO 4 software. I am hoping it is not a defective unit. Any help would be appreciated. I own a Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro platinum, Phantom 4 as well and nothing sounds like this and very well versed in the App and aircraft. Thanks in advance
2018-2-3
Use props
Msorbs
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

add on: I have also tried different new props supplied in my fly more combo
2018-2-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I hate to say it but based on everything you have already done if the problem still persists then this may simply be a DOA unit and it's best to face that fact and get it returned to DJI asap for a brand new replacement.
2018-2-3
Use props
Msorbs
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Yea, I’m also leaning towards that and agree. I was just hoping it was something I missed. There’s nothing worse then getting a brand new item and having to ship it right back. Appreciate the message tho. Thanks
2018-2-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I’ve seen many in previews I’m sure you have yourself and they seem to hover exceptionally, so you are entitled to the same, if you’ve done all the necessary troubleshooting then you might be forced to  return as a DOA. Tough break but if it’s not right it’s gotta go back.
2018-2-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I’ve seen many in previews I’m sure you have yourself and they seem to hover exceptionally, so you are entitled to the same, if you’ve done all the necessary troubleshooting then you might be forced to  return as a DOA. Tough break but if it’s not right it’s gotta go back.
2018-2-3
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

Had a Mavic Pro sound loud at startup once, landed immediately. Found the 3 bolts that hold one of the motors to the arm were loose and the motor was moving around. Took off the cover and tightened the bolts and it has been fine since. Thought it was weird because it had flown fine the day before...
2018-2-3
Use props
Msorbs
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

HyLenz Posted at 2018-2-3 13:52
Had a Mavic Pro sound loud at startup once, landed immediately. Found the 3 bolts that hold one of the motors to the arm were loose and the motor was moving around. Took off the cover and tightened the bolts and it has been fine since. Thought it was weird because it had flown fine the day before...

Yea I also did that as well.. pulled off the props and checked with small star wrench. No luck tho. Appreciate the thought
2018-2-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Is it anything like this.

2018-2-3
Use props
Msorbs
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-3 14:52
Is it anything like this.

https://youtu.be/RCi-L-DE5-I

yes! exact same thing!
2018-2-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Msorbs Posted at 2018-2-3 15:08
yes! exact same thing!

Think you may have to contact support about that, it seems to be a problem, well this is the third case I’ve seen could be a firmware issue, you could try contact a moderator here they might be able to help.
2018-2-3
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
Netherlands

Sounds like a IMU / PID error
2018-2-3
Use props
Msorbs
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Thanks! Yes I sent in an email and video with exact issues.

Funny thing is after my IMU/ Gyro and compass calibrations. My numbers are ridiculously low. .0000-.0002. I’ve performed 4 and all come out great. Obviously it’s more. Motors have also been checked. Nothing is loose. New props. Pretty sure it’s going back.
2018-2-3
Use props
Bulldog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 816158 ft
United States

DJI strikes again!
2018-2-3
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

There is like a huge amount of tuning parameters in the firmware of each DJI device so my very wild guess is some of these are off for some reason.
But, yeah, these are not meant to be changed by the end users.
2018-2-3
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Msorbs Posted at 2018-2-3 15:08
yes! exact same thing!

Mine was doing the exact same thing today.  Thought it might have been the cold (-20°C).  It oscillated along the roll axis, a sign of too much gain in the control loop.  It only did it on hover, in forward flight it was smooth.  After a while it was smooth in hover, I attributed that to it warming up.  Later in the day I tested it in the house and on take-off it hovered smoothly.  If it did it when warm I would send it back.
2018-2-3
Use props
Msorbs
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2018-2-3 18:27
Mine was doing the exact same thing today.  Thought it might have been the cold (-20°C).  It oscillated along the roll axis, a sign of too much gain in the control loop.  It only did it on hover, in forward flight it was smooth.  After a while it was smooth in hover, I attributed that to it warming up.  Later in the day I tested it in the house and on take-off it hovered smoothly.  If it did it when warm I would send it back.

Yea it was quite warm. I checked the C° in the battery temp and was well over 30° C. Also did try multiple batteries also thinking along the lines of what you said. What’s weird is it still did it about 200 Ft up. I have about 3 acres of woods behind my house so flew it out about 500 feet and you could still hear the drone vibrating in forward motion. So immediately turned around and landed. Figured 3 battery tests. 2 hover and 1 with distance was enough to confirm there’s more of a problem. Thanks for the idea tho! Appreciate it
2018-2-3
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

Msorbs Posted at 2018-2-3 18:43
Yea it was quite warm. I checked the C° in the battery temp and was well over 30° C. Also did try multiple batteries also thinking along the lines of what you said. What’s weird is it still did it about 200 Ft up. I have about 3 acres of woods behind my house so flew it out about 500 feet and you could still hear the drone vibrating in forward motion. So immediately turned around and landed. Figured 3 battery tests. 2 hover and 1 with distance was enough to confirm there’s more of a problem. Thanks for the idea tho! Appreciate it

Interesting that the vibration continue for such a long time.  I my case it stopped the instant it entered forward flight.  With my homemade drones I would turn down the P gain just a bit.  I think there is a screen to adjust the gain but I've never used it. (GO4 app, Main Controller Settings, Advanced Settings, Gain, Roll < make it less.
2018-2-3
Use props
Mark Blaide
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246014 ft
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2018-2-3 18:27
Mine was doing the exact same thing today.  Thought it might have been the cold (-20°C).  It oscillated along the roll axis, a sign of too much gain in the control loop.  It only did it on hover, in forward flight it was smooth.  After a while it was smooth in hover, I attributed that to it warming up.  Later in the day I tested it in the house and on take-off it hovered smoothly.  If it did it when warm I would send it back.

Mine does this briefly and goes away. I'll have to do some more testing tomorrow. Hopefully this can be fixed in software...
2018-2-3
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

Mark Blaide Posted at 2018-2-3 19:30
Mine does this briefly and goes away. I'll have to do some more testing tomorrow. Hopefully this can be fixed in software...

Try changing the setting in the Main Controller Settings as I've stated in the post above, reduce the roll gain by 5 and see if it helps.
2018-2-3
Use props
Jason WAI
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3136201 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

sounds like a problem of the First batch I guess
2018-2-3
Use props
fans27468af5
lvl.1

United States

Same issue here see why
2018-2-4
Use props
fans27468af5
lvl.1

United States

fans27468af5 Posted at 2018-2-4 16:31
Same issue here see why

2018-2-4
Use props
slyfox0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118 ft
Mexico

If you are flying in cold weather, read the manual. You have to let the motors run for 1 to 2 minutes before your fly. See if this makes a difference.
2018-2-4
Use props
Msorbs
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

slyfox0 Posted at 2018-2-4 17:36
If you are flying in cold weather, read the manual. You have to let the motors run for 1 to 2 minutes before your fly. See if this makes a difference.

Read it. 6 years ago and every time I get a new drone. Thanks tho.. always let the drone warm to a certain battery temp and acquire the 10+ Min gps before any flight
2018-2-4
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Cold motors? Bahahahaha no such thing dude... u mean cold imu...the imu warmed is all
2018-2-4
Use props
Msorbs
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-4 18:20
Cold motors? Bahahahaha no such thing dude... u mean cold imu...the imu warmed is all

Agreed. IMU and battery are key
2018-2-4
Use props
fans27468af5
lvl.1

United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-4 18:20

http://So the manual states to let the motors run for 1 to 2 min I suppose that is for the imu to warm up?
2018-2-5
Use props
fans27468af5
lvl.1

United States

So the manual states to let the motors run for 1 to 2 min I suppose that is for the imu to warm up?
2018-2-5
Use props
fans6d0133cb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 400 ft
United States

Mine has a similar issue when I first take off for about 20 seconds or so then everyone seems fine. This does not seem normal to me should we be sending these back?
2018-2-5
Use props
Msorbs
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fans6d0133cb Posted at 2018-2-5 13:07
Mine has a similar issue when I first take off for about 20 seconds or so then everyone seems fine. This does not seem normal to me should we be sending these back?

Well for me, $1000 and for flight safety issues I personally am. I guess if it didn’t happen all the time or a imu/compass cal fixed the issue I wouldn’t worry. But flying DJI products for many years I’m not taking the chance. If it was a software glitch or something in the build of the aircraft I’d rather be safe and send it in
2018-2-5
Use props
fans6d0133cb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 400 ft
United States

So after some research into the issue I guess the mavic air is really sensitive to cold weather. I was able to hover in my house with no issue.
2018-2-5
Use props
Msorbs
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fans6d0133cb Posted at 2018-2-5 16:58
So after some research into the issue I guess the mavic air is really sensitive to cold weather. I was able to hover in my house with no issue.

Unfortunately I’ve tried indoor with same issue. But glad yours has been figured out! Thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it
2018-2-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules