DISABLE Remote Controller from charging phone battery **POLL
816341 816341 2018-2-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DebG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30138 ft
United States

I have been trying to find out how to disable charing my phone while the USB is connect to the Mavic RC. I have not found a solution.
Reasons; Drain RC battery, Phone heats up, Phone cpu locks up/crashes, Phones brightness throttles, (not wanting to carry extra power banks, etc.

Others looking for the same fix/option;
floco Avoiding charging your smartphone with the RC?
george_007 Disable USB charging?
Jr. Stafford Controller charging phone battery?
realitycheck Remote charging android phone
Sctcorolla How do you prevent your RC from charging your tablet?
PGP How to Stop RC Unit from charging Android phone?
MBoshoff DISABLE SAMSUNG S8 CHARGING FROM THE REMOTE
ronnietong Mavic controller charging the connected phone..
billhines66 Phone Charging from Remote
Dougcjohn USB w Android, drains RC controller, Fine w iPhone
Philly Phantom Mavic Controler charging phone and draining battery.
jhnix Controller charging the phone?

Dabbler90 Controller charging my phone

Stef Cellphone charging while using OTG connection
s54chris Mavic controller charges android device?
Blue Drone Mavic Remote Charging Phone

Newlands My Controller is Charging My Phone?

BerndM, Controller charging my smartphone??
Mr Spock Android phones and tablets stuck in USB "charging" mode can't select MTP mode!

app Disable Battery Charging ROOT
Fred F RC Contrroller charging the phone too?
Single SelectVote, Total 328 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-2-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ensure your RC and device are 100% charged before heading out and buy a battery to power bank adaptor if your flying more than 6 batteries and the answer is number 3.
2018-2-3
Use props
DebG
lvl.3
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-3 14:40
Ensure your RC and device are 100% charged before heading out and buy a battery to power bank adaptor if your flying more than 6 batteries and the answer is number 3.

Thanks for the suggestion. That may solve the RC dying but does not solve the other issues.

Still trickle charges. -- Phone heating up, CPU heating up crashing, brightness throttle, etc.
2018-2-3
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

Use an iOS device, it doesn't charge them!
2018-2-3
Use props
BigBird2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 883645 ft
  • >>>
United States

Seems like one diode in the right place on the circuit board would solve this.
2018-2-3
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What issues? I’ve flown 8 flights consecutively before without any issues.
2018-2-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But that is on IOS which doesn’t charge the RC.
2018-2-4
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Yes please
2018-2-4
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 902034 ft
United Kingdom

What makes you think its a Mavic RC problem? its more of an android problem. It may not be fixable at the RC end given the RCs current hardware.
2018-2-4
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
United Kingdom

What makes you think its a Mavic RC problem? its more of an android problem. It may not be fixable at the RC end given the RCs current hardware.
2018-2-4
Use props
Ivanski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 714977 ft
Hong Kong

I fully charge all the devices before flying (use ipad mini 4) and I only have 3 batteries to fly.
I don't have any problems at all. So my answer is 3.
2018-2-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I'm guessing this is an Android OS  issue that DJI has no control over. Have you looked at this? Requires rooting your device: https://play.google.com/store/ap ... pcharging&hl=en
2018-2-4
Use props
rantanlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 69698 ft
Germany

thanks for the link Ex Machina, I'll keep that app in mind.
2018-2-5
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

I use an Android and it makes no difference to me.  I don't use the side USB.  I use the USB-A on bottom.  No charging from there.  I tried the side port when I first got it, but as you said, battery, heating....  Haven't had a problem since I switched.  Samsung Note 5.  Android 7.0
2018-2-6
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-2-3 19:30

It seems to be charging my iPhone.
2018-2-6
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-2-6 16:46
I use an Android and it makes no difference to me.  I don't use the side USB.  I use the USB-A on bottom.  No charging from there.  I tried the side port when I first got it, but as you said, battery, heating....  Haven't had a problem since I switched.  Samsung Note 5.  Android 7.0

I use the USB-A on bottom.  No charging from there.

just tried and it's charging my phone from that port as well.   good thing too as phone battery was quite low when i went out to fly yesterday
2018-2-8
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

AIister Posted at 2018-2-8 04:21
I use the USB-A on bottom.  No charging from there.

just tried and it's charging my phone from that port as well.   good thing too as phone battery was quite low when i went out to fly yesterday

well, if mine is charging, its at a lower rate.  When I first started, I used the side port and my phone would get hot.  Now I use the bottom and my phone is nice and cool.  Beats me.  Someone said that the bottom didn't charge and mine acts totally different using that one.  Oh well.  
2018-2-8
Use props
DebG
lvl.3
United States

Newlands My Controller is Charging My Phone?
2018-2-13
Use props
DebG
lvl.3
United States

BerndM, Controller charging my smartphone??Mr Spock Android phones and tablets stuck in USB "charging" mode can't select MTP mode!
App Disable Battery Charging ROOT
Fred F RC Contrroller charging the phone too?
2018-2-16
Use props
Thoarax
lvl.3
Flight distance : 488484 ft
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-2-3 19:30

Just tested on my iPhone 6, plugged into the side of the Mavic Air remote it does indeed charge the phone. Started at 88%, did some chores, when I came back 10 minutes later it was at 90%.

Plugged into the bottom connection via standard apple lightning usb cable, it did not charge the iPhone.
2018-3-10
Use props
RimasRS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3225 ft
Lithuania

Would be great
2018-3-21
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft
United Kingdom

Mine charges the iphone but I haven't tried the bottom USB yet.
2018-3-21
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft
Spain

Both ports do charge my Samsung Note 8. What I am currently doing before plugging in the phone to the RC is to turn off the fast charging. This helps quite a lot.
2018-3-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Info on possible Data Transfer only USB cabling
2018-4-5
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Some Android phones and tablets have a disable fast charge option. That seems to reduce the battery drainage on the RC. Works on my Note 8 and Gal Tab S3
2018-5-8
Use props
Gala
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8035 ft

RocketChap Posted at 2018-2-4 16:39

It is an RC issue. On IOS this does not happens, just on Android devices. If it was normal would have happened also on IOS devices.
2018-5-20
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

I also use a Samsung Note 8, but I have not had any of these problems. No heating, no crashes, no brightness issues. I'll fly my Air for a good hour (3 full batteries worth), and when I'm done my RC will be down to 2-3 blinking lights.

Can you provide some details like:
  • How long you're flying?
  • Whether you fully charge before flying?
  • What your RC charge level is after flying?

That said, if you don't want to charge your phone while flying, perhaps a data-only USB cable would work?

See:
  • https://www.amazon.com/Data-Only-Audiophile-USB-Ungrounded/dp/B00WFF5FZS
  • http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Data-Only-USB-Type-B/

2018-5-20
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Gala Posted at 2018-5-20 14:10
It is an RC issue. On IOS this does not happens, just on Android devices. If it was normal would have happened also on IOS devices.

It doesn't happen on IOS devices - but it does on (some**) Android devices so you assume its the RC that is the problem - where is the logic in that?

**On later Android devices you have the ability to switch off charging.
2018-5-20
Use props
Gala
lvl.2

RocketChap Posted at 2018-5-20 15:19
It doesn't happen on IOS devices - but it does on (some**) Android devices so you assume its the RC that is the problem - where is the logic in that?

No, you do not have this option. You only have an option to switch off fast charging.  It will charge anyway from RC but it will not drain it so fast.
2018-5-23
Use props
Gala
lvl.2

RocketChap Posted at 2018-5-20 15:19
It doesn't happen on IOS devices - but it does on (some**) Android devices so you assume its the RC that is the problem - where is the logic in that?

It is charging all Android devices, latter Android devices will just drain RC faster if you dont disable in phone fast charging option.
2018-5-23
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Gala Posted at 2018-5-23 03:31
It is charging all Android devices, latter Android devices will just drain RC faster if you dont disable in phone fast charging option.

Nope - on the Sony xz premium for example it gives 3 options when plugging in a USB data cable:

1. Do nothing
2. charge phone
3. Charge connected device.

So its an android issue not a RC issue.
2018-5-23
Use props
Gala
lvl.2

RocketChap Posted at 2018-5-23 14:56
Nope - on the Sony xz premium for example it gives 3 options when plugging in a USB data cable:

1. Do nothing

First of all Android its a phone OS launched for a commercial Android device in September 2008. Any app developed for this OS must work ok for the majority, not only for 1 phone . I do not own a Sony xz premium ( which I dont know if its listed as a compatiblea  device) and DJI did not instruct me or other buyers to purchase a Sony xz premium so that everithing works ok. I only know that I have one phone that its suppose to work ok, but after using one battery for my drone RC is already almost half discharged.  
2018-5-24
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is an interesting debate.  For me, it doesn't matter.  I've taken 75 successful flights (and one very unsuccessful flight) and haven't had any problems or issues with my phone/controller combo.  My phone hasn't heated up, and my app hasn't crashed.  The only problems that I've had have been firmware related, which is a completely different thread.

I'm using a Samsung Note 4 Edge with my Mavic Air controller

My answer to the question was 3.  

It is likely that i'll be switching to an IPad or some sort of tablet soon though.  I'd like something brighter so it's not so difficult to see in the sun
2018-5-24
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

A simple solution to the problem. Keeps phone and controller fully charged while in use.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-148871-1-1.html
2018-5-24
Use props
SubUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 74140 ft
Netherlands

BigBird2 Posted at 2018-2-3 19:32
Seems like one diode in the right place on the circuit board would solve this.

No, I have already tried it.
2018-5-24
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Gala Posted at 2018-5-24 03:25
First of all Android its a phone OS launched for a commercial Android device in September 2008. Any app developed for this OS must work ok for the majority, not only for 1 phone . I do not own an Sony xz premium ( which I dont know if its listed as a compatibleand  device) and DJI did not instruct me or other buyers to purchase a Sony xz premium so that everithing works ok. I only know that I have one phone that its suppose to work ok, but after using one battery for my drone RC is already almost half discharged.

I'm Just pointing out that there is no evidence for your statement "It is an RC issue..."
2018-5-24
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never had an issue with my iPhones or iPads. Battery life good in general anyway and the remote doesn’t charge either way.
2018-6-20
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

I dont see this as a problem, I connect a external Battery to the Micro connector on the controller, and connect the my Tablet or phone the standard USB on the back of controller. In this configuration my controller and Tablet stay fully Charged. One note, I would like DJI to change the Micro USB to USB-C  on there next controller.
2018-6-20
Use props
djiuser_RzPtC98IFcwU
New

United Kingdom

I have stopped my Mavic Air controller charging my honor 7 phone by tricking the phone and controller.
This definitely stops any power been taken by the phone. It is an easy mod to the cable.
2018-7-3
Use props
djiuser_RzPtC98IFcwU
New

United Kingdom

I have stopped my Mavic Air controller charging my honor 7 phone by tricking the phone and controller.
This definitely stops any power been taken by the phone. It is an easy mod to the cable.
IMG_20180703_213447.jpg
2018-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules