How to Correct Video Stutter
7579 11 2015-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RonnieBeckett
lvl.2

United States

Im very new to this and working on learning.
Just testing the Inspire out above my home I noticed that I get some stutter in the video playback.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to avoid this in the future.

Video was shot in 4K@30 with auto settings.
Its a basic boring slow 360 above my home catching the clouds and sky.

*EDITED POST
Correct link... Sorry

2015-4-28
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Italy

your homes a cruise ship ??
2015-4-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Hi Ronnie,

There are a few follow up questions before we zero in on what you're asking.

First of all do you mean stuttering in the final playback (i.e. YouTube) or do you mean your computer isn't fast enough to play the 4k files, or do you mean you get stuttering in your live view while flying?

If you mean it stutters while editing but not the final master on YouTube, it means your computer (or hard drive) isn't fast enough to play 4K straight from the Inspire.  This is not unusual but as soon as you master and upload it to YouTube it should play smoothly.

If you mean the video plays smoothly but you notice stutters during movement, it means your framerate isn't high enough.  Many people prefer the look of 60FPS because it's perfectly smooth.   Personally I HATE IT because it looks like a bad iPhone video and I much prefer the more cinematic look of 24FPS.   The side effect of a lower frame rate is slight stuttering in quick movement.   There are actually rules for camera work that dictate how quickly you should pan or move to avoid this.

If you mean your live view on your phone/tablet stutters then this isn't a big surprise.   The live view is great but doesn't always play smoothly (though it's pretty damn good for what it's trying to do.)

Hopefully one of these answers matches up.  Otherwise give some more info on your issue.

Jim

2015-4-28
Use props
RonnieBeckett
lvl.2

United States

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-4-29 06:18
your homes a cruise ship ??

Ha... sorry.
I was sharing the cruise vid with a co-worker and forgot to grab my link before posting.
Its been corrected now.

Thanks for pointing it out.
2015-4-28
Use props
RonnieBeckett
lvl.2

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-29 06:32
Hi Ronnie,

There are a few follow up questions before we zero in on what you're asking.

Thanks for the very insightful replay Jim.
I am talking about stutter in the final YouTube video and maybe the original raw video.
Could have swore I seen stutter in the original but can't tell at the moment on this small laptop on I'm  at the moment.
Will check it more closely once I got to a better PC later.

Regardless thanks for the in it will be very useful going forward.

Also... I fixed the link I had posted to the correct one.
2015-4-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

RonnieBeckett Posted at 2015-4-29 07:26
Thanks for the very insightful replay Jim.
I am talking about stutter in the final YouTube video a ...

Cool.   Yeah, the stuttering in the video is frame rate and completely normal.   Try 60FPS next time and compare.   It will look much smoother but also much more "videoish."   

This has divided people basically down the center.   People are usually very passionate and polarised between Smooth-and-Videoish vs Cinematic-and-Stuttering.  

Be interesting to take a poll to see where people on the forum land.
2015-4-28
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-29 07:52
Cool.   Yeah, the stuttering in the video is frame rate and completely normal.   Try 60FPS next ti ...

Jim,  I do not that great at video editing but could you not film at 60fpd and use a LUT filter to get your desired Cinematic look?  I prefer the Cinematic look but most of my real estate clients hate the stuttering.
2015-4-28
Use props
insectorchid3
lvl.2

United States

woud the new ND filters help out with this? and has any one tried them out yet?
2015-4-28
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

Hey Jim, answer me this if you can. Not exactly 'stutter' but...my video is fine...BUT on playback in the monitor while I'm shooting, all of a sudden I'm getting,'stutter' or distortion or like a ripple effect/smear effect from a bad horror movie or something.  any ideas?
2015-4-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

smcbrearty@roge Posted at 2015-4-29 10:03
Jim,  I do not that great at video editing but could you not film at 60fpd and use a LUT filter to ...

No, it's the frame rate that determines it, lack of blur between frames is a dead giveaway.

There's nothing wrong with it and the clarity is improved, so real estate, sports and reality TV are perfect uses for 60FPS.   

I just don't think it's immersive for storytelling and art.   Whenever I see a movie made in high frame rate, like The Hobbit, I feel like I'm watching the behind-the-scenes and not the movie.   Yech.    Other people love it, hence my original comment about polarising opinions.  
2015-4-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

insectorchid3 Posted at 2015-4-29 10:26
woud the new ND filters help out with this? and has any one tried them out yet?

No, the new ND filters will help get the shutter speed lower, which will eliminate jello, but the stuttering is caused by too low a frame rate, where the lens physically moves so far from frame to frame that you see a stutter.    By using a faster frame rate you care capturing the motion twice as many times, which reduces the jumps and appears as smooth motion.

2015-4-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

dbeck@promobox. Posted at 2015-4-29 10:57
Hey Jim, answer me this if you can. Not exactly 'stutter' but...my video is fine...BUT on playback i ...

Yeah, this is just the HD stream between the Inspire and remote/phone/tablet getting jammed up once in a while   It's a huge amount of data to stream over a long distance so I'm amazed it works as well at it does.

Basically any issues you see while shooting should be considered normal.  You can fine tune it by trying different channels rather than using AUTO, but  personally I don't find it to be a big problem.
2015-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules