Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans070125dc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11551627 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hi guys , new to the forum here but long time dji user and fan ,

I bought a MPP the other day and it’s been flying very well although I can’t get more than 18 mins out of the batteries and max range is 1.5 km then the drone starts going haywire , on the five occasions I have flown it 1.5 from takeoff the warnings that come up are

“warning : weak GPS signal . Positional accuracy may be compromised . Please fly with caution “

“Warning : in flight, working IMU encounters heading exception, please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally “

“warning : compass error . Exit P-GPS Mode”

I have been flying from the edge of cliff . 5m AGL and flying the drone straight and each time this error comes up .   I also have a phantom 4 and can reach 3km .

Drone has been calibrated and I wait for home point to be updated each time , sensors for imu and compass are all normal .

Any help on this would be great with regards to range and also battery life .   Also to note when flying there is very little wind and the unit is not put into sports mode .

Thanks guys. Much appreciated with any help possible

Cheers
2018-2-4
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

To add . 1.5 km in distance from take off horizontally . At average 100m AGL
2018-2-4
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Is there nearby something , luke big antennas , high buildings, seaport( radar) or powerlines , which can trigger gps , compass error?
2018-2-5
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

dronybaloney Posted at 2018-2-5 00:27
Is there nearby something , luke big antennas , high buildings, seaport( radar) or powerlines , which can trigger gps , compass error?

Hi , thanks for the reply , no there is nothing nearby and I should have added that I am flying directly east out over the ocean , there are no tv antennas etc , the drone flies brilliantly then nearly right on que at 1;5km it goes haywire and then when I return the gps doesn’t kick back in till Aprox 800m from home point
2018-2-5
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Any help anyone with this ?????
2018-2-6
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Fly in a different location to take that out of the equation.
2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Possibly a defective unit - my average flight time on my MPP to date is >25 minutes with sub zero temperatures and fast winds included - my last flight, yesterday morning, was nearly 27 minutes shutting down at 13%. 1.5KM is far less than you should be getting. With no major interference in the area this range coupled with 18 minute flight times does show a malfunction of some description. I would return it.
2018-2-6
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-2-6 02:00
Possibly a defective unit - my average flight time on my MPP to date is >25 minutes with sub zero temperatures and fast winds included - my last flight, yesterday morning, was nearly 27 minutes shutting down at 13%. 1.5KM is far less than you should be getting. With no major interference in the area this range coupled with 18 minute flight times does show a malfunction of some description. I would return it.

Thanks A CW , I am begging to suspect this may be the case of it being a defective unit . As when I fly I am in gps mode , and 18 mins is the max I can get . And distance of 1.5km , as soon as it hits this then the bird starts with all the error messages , when flying home I do not recover gps mode till 600 metres from home point so for 1.5km to 600 metres , meaning I’m in atti mode on the route back . I would have thought the return home would be better than the flight out to the distance .   When flying I am flying there is literally nothing in view of causing interefnce , I am flying directly east out over the Pacific Ocean ,   Cheers for your reply kind sir . I’m flying the bird again tomorrow so will report back and if still persisting I will return to the shop in which I purchased it from , thanks for your reply much appreciated as new to this whole forum do ..
2018-2-6
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Simmo1 Posted at 2018-2-6 01:57
Fly in a different location to take that out of the equation.

Gday simmo1, I have flown this MPP over 20 times now and have flown it at the farm also with no interference and still getting this distance and flight time with the batteries going to 5% at 18mins , I have been flying out over the ocean of late as I would imagine that with line of sight and nothing of any note of interference, this would have given me a good base line , but to now avail as in many locations 1.5 is the max and also batery time
2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-2-6 02:15
Thanks A CW , I am begging to suspect this may be the case of it being a defective unit . As when I fly I am in gps mode , and 18 mins is the max I can get . And distance of 1.5km , as soon as it hits this then the bird starts with all the error messages , when flying home I do not recover gps mode till 600 metres from home point so for 1.5km to 600 metres , meaning I’m in atti mode on the route back . I would have thought the return home would be better than the flight out to the distance .   When flying I am flying there is literally nothing in view of causing interefnce , I am flying directly east out over the Pacific Ocean ,   Cheers for your reply kind sir . I’m flying the bird again tomorrow so will report back and if still persisting I will return to the shop in which I purchased it from , thanks for your reply much appreciated as new to this whole forum do ..

I did a range test in the middle of nowhere and still had 2 bars when 2.334 miles away (12,500') and turned around of my own accord and had 40% remaining when overhead. Don't recommend flying like that but I wanted to test the range and thats what I got in a CE area... 2.5 times further than when yours initiates RTH - defects happen mate - had 4 in my time. Best to ship it back asap whilst still under return warranty. What device are you using BTW?
2018-2-6
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-2-6 02:19
I did a range test in the middle of nowhere and still had 2 bars when 2.334 miles away (12,500') and turned around of my own accord and had 40% remaining when overhead. Don't recommend flying like that but I wanted to test the range and thats what I got in a CE area... 2.5 times further than when yours initiates RTH - defects happen mate - had 4 in my time. Best to ship it back asap whilst still under return warranty. What device are you using BTW?

Using an a iPad Pro 10.5 , with iOS 11.2.5 and dji go 4 , I use this IPad only for flying my drones , I also have an iPad mini 4 and have flown with this and the same result .
2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-2-6 02:29
Using an a iPad Pro 10.5 , with iOS 11.2.5 and dji go 4 , I use this IPad only for flying my drones , I also have an iPad mini 4 and have flown with this and the same result .

Make sure the antenna is positioned correctly (45 degree tilt, parallel and perpendicular to the drone etc), try changing the USB to lighting cable but to be honest it's not looking too good mate and the 18 minute flight time is a defect for sure. 22 minutes is my lowest time on one battery and that was flying in -5c and 30MPH winds over Christmas...
2018-2-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

what does 5m AGL mean? When the errors occur have you tried raising your altitude? what percentage battery do have remaining on landing. Rememeber that 10% = about 2.7 min ie 30% = about 6.5min - add that to 18min fly time you getting and it close. Hovering also takes more juice than slow flying.
2018-2-6
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-2-6 02:33
Make sure the antenna is positioned correctly (45 degree tilt, parallel and perpendicular to the drone etc), try changing the USB to lighting cable but to be honest it's not looking too good mate and the 18 minute flight time is a defect for sure. 22 minutes is my lowest time on one battery and that was flying in -5c and 30MPH winds over Christmas...

Hi A CW , I’ve flown with the aerials as you describe , have also changed the cable three times and all apple store bought lightning cables so i would imagine this to be of good quality . With your insights and help I am now more than confident that it’s a unit error and I’ll hesd back to the shop on Saturday then .  A friend of mine used His magic pro platinum on the same day as mine in the same locations and he got 25mins plus and over 2km each way ...
2018-2-6
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-2-6 02:38
what does 5m AGL mean? When the errors occur have you tried raising your altitude? what percentage battery do have remaining on landing. Rememeber that 10% = about 2.7 min ie 30% = about 6.5min - add that to 18min fly time you getting and it close. Hovering also takes more juice than slow flying.

AGL , above ground level ..   when the bird is back on land after the flight the batterie is at 5%.  I have set RTH at all different levels of battery left  and can’t get any more than 18mins
2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ok - mate, ship/take it back today if you can - it’s a DOA! Where did you buy it?
2018-2-6
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-2-6 02:59
Ok - mate, ship/take it back today if you can - it’s a DOA! Where did you buy it?

Bought it from Harvey Norman here in Australia , they have been brilliant in the past as I had another drone not able to calibrate compass no matter how hard and varies I tried . The franchise owner verified and I had a refund within minutes when this was presented .
2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-2-6 03:03
Bought it from Harvey Norman here in Australia , they have been brilliant in the past as I had another drone not able to calibrate compass no matter how hard and varies I tried . The franchise owner verified and I had a refund within minutes when this was presented .

Thats good to know - I'm sure you'll get a replacement on the spot then - shut it all down and pack it up - don't fly it again in case the issue is more serious and you crash it. Good luck and let us know how the new one performs.
2018-2-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

l would support CAW suggestion that there appears something fautly. At least you should be getting better fly time even - so on this basis i am most suspicious. i imagine an outside possibliity exists that reception is not ideal - but this is a guess only - could be tested by changing flying locations and concentrating on antennae position relative to drone to see if cut out persists - but short of specific advise as to exactly what the problem is, it may be yr best bet to return the drone for a replacement.
2018-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules