Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Using external mic with Osmo
10058 4 2018-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ben.siddall
New

United Kingdom

Hi There,

I purchased an Se Electronics shotgun mic to use as an external mic with my Osmo (https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ ... tm_source=txn-email).

This was before I saw the 'compatible hardware' list on the official website, that list a number of mics as being compatible (Sennheiser MKE400, Sony ECM DS70P , Rode VideoMic Pro, Rode, VideoMicro, Mymyk Smartmyk, DED DV-889).

When the Se Electronics mic is connected, all video clips on the SD card are silent (i have 'record audio' enabled in settings on the DJI app) -and the audio is instead recorded by the iphone; either the iphone mic itself, or the iphone gives a message saying an external mic has been connected, and it seems to use the Se Electronics mic somehow.

So my quetion is, before I send this mic back and buy one from the 'compatible' list:-

if I buy a compatible mic, will it record to the sd card, in sync with the video?
or does using an external mic mean the audio always record to the iphone?

thanks,

Ben

2018-2-5
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

I’m a bit confused by your post.  Which version of the Osmo are you using?

IPhones do not have micro SD cards, so I am assuming you are not using an Osmo Mobile, but if your using one of the other Osmos than why are you attaching your microphone to your phone?

The audio you are hearing was not recorded by your phone, it was recorded by the Osmo’s internal microphone, to attach an external microphone you must plug it into your Osmo, not your phone.  There is a standard 3.5 mm audio jack on the front of the Osmo’s handle, above the trigger, you plug your microphone into that, not your phone.

You will also need some way to hold your microphone.  DJI makes a 360 degree cold shoe mount that clips to the phone holder, or you can get a straight extension arm and a universal mount and attach a cold shoe to that (it should come with one).
2018-2-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello Ben, when you purchase the mic in our compatible list, the audio will be recorded by the external mic, there will be audio in the footage in SD card. Please note to enable 'record audio'.
At the same time, the audio will also be recorded by the mobile device, then you will hear the audio in the video cache.
2018-2-5
Use props
ben.siddall
New

United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-2-5 23:09
Hello Ben, when you purchase the mic in our compatible list, the audio will be recorded by the external mic, there will be audio in the footage in SD card. Please note to enable 'record audio'.
At the same time, the audio will also be recorded by the mobile device, then you will hear the audio in the video cache.

Hi DJI Mindy - ok great, thanks for confirming -I've just ordered a compatible mic now.

thanks,

Ben
2018-2-6
Use props
ben.siddall
New

United Kingdom

9245 Posted at 2018-2-5 11:07
I’m a bit confused by your post.  Which version of the Osmo are you using?

IPhones do not have micro SD cards, so I am assuming you are not using an Osmo Mobile, but if your using one of the other Osmos than why are you attaching your microphone to your phone?

The camera is the Osmo on a gimbal, not the Osmo Mobile -and yes I plugged the mic into the Osmo, not the phone. For some reason (presumably as it's not 'compatible') the Osmo can't use the Se Electronics Mic, but I'm not sure why as it's a standard 3.5mm jack,...

Anyway I've ordered a compatible Rode mic so should hopefully work ok!

thanks
2018-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules