Final round of the big question: Pro Platinum of Air?
831 14 2018-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MS Eierfeile
lvl.1
Switzerland

Hello guys,

I am Martin from Switzerland and first of all I am really looking forward to  and discuss a lot of things in the following years since I am pretty new to the drone community but nevertheless eager to learn.

DJI seems to be making a really great job and thats what brought me to them to buy my first (semi-) professionel drone after several cheap ones around 100$.

Although now I'm really uncertain if I want to buy the Mavic Pro Platinum or the Mavic Air.

To me the Pro Platinum feels more like a real drone like you got something on your hand. The Air - despite it's qualities - has more like a toyish feel to me. Also range, flight time and the quiet 8331 blades of the Platinum convince me pretty much. Plus I'd love to fly in fixed wing mode with the googles
2018-2-5
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

With all those Alps around it will be a lot of hiking with Air and just a nice looong flight with Platinum Pro.
2018-2-5
Use props
MS Eierfeile
lvl.1
Switzerland

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-5 13:34
With all those Alps around it will be a lot of hiking with Air and just a nice looong flight with Platinum Pro.

On the other hand the rear sensors, the onboard memory as well as the steering with gestures of theAir are top notch selling points.
In the end for me it comes down to two questions no one could answer me so far:
Will the Pro Platinum get an update which allows the advanced gesture control 'Smart Capture' so that you can or start or steer the drone with gestures? (Jedi-Mode as I call i
or
Will the Mavic Air get an update which allows it to get into fixed wing mode to get the same jet-pilot-like DJI-google-experiance as with the Pro Platinum?
or
Should I eventually wait for something upcoming? Like a Mavic Pro 2?
2018-2-5
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

MS Eierfeile Posted at 2018-2-5 13:36
On the other hand the rear sensors, the onboard memory as well as the steering with gestures of theAir are top notch selling points.
In the end for me it comes down to two questions no one could answer me so far:
Will the Pro Platinum get an update which allows the advanced gesture control 'Smart Capture' so that you can or start or steer the drone with gestures? (Jedi-Mode as I call i

Well, DJI could but probably won't.
2018-2-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Mavic Pro and Platinum integrate so well with the Goggles that if using the goggles is one of the primary deciding factors then without a doubt it has to be the Mavic Platinum (Pro can be bought cheaper though). Occusync wireless connect to Goggles; this is a big one, phone or tablet can be connected at same time, making it easy to meet the DJI Go 4 'login' requirement to eliminate the 30m height, and 50m radius restriction, the range and performance outshines that of the Air. Otherwise its a cable swap between devices, as with P4 series etc.
2018-2-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And a good point in this other post regarding live view resolution:-

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=154551
2018-2-5
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

MS Eierfeile Posted at 2018-2-5 13:36
On the other hand the rear sensors, the onboard memory as well as the steering with gestures of theAir are top notch selling points.
In the end for me it comes down to two questions no one could answer me so far:

Mavic Pro/Platinum has gesture mode too.

Rear sensors and onboard memory are NOT huge improvements, They are both very cool features but both of them are just safety measures that you might never use.

No one knows if the Air will get fixed wing mode. There have been no announcements or rumors about this particular feature lately, so we can't know.

Do not wait for the Mavic 2. It's not a smart move because no one knows when it's coming out. It could come out in a month like it could come out in years. It's all speculation at this point!

You decide if you're ready to pay the additional hundred Swiss Francs for the Platinum instead of the Pro. The Platinum is quieter, has better ESC's which reduces the motors RPM (they could last longer) and you will get a flight time of about 24 minutes instead of 21. Your choice!
2018-2-5
Use props
MS Eierfeile
lvl.1
Switzerland

All good points. The google-connection and picture quality was new ti me. I'll keep that in mind.
speakung of gesture mode: with the Pro you can just use gestures to get tracked and initiate a selfie. With the Air you can steer it left right frint back make it start or land. Not neccecary but cool as hell
Youtube: DJI Mavic Air Tutorials Smart Capture
2018-2-5
Use props
MS Eierfeile
lvl.1
Switzerland

https://youtu.be/EEPUXkdF9aA
2018-2-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Dear Martin,
Thanks for your support. If you want to experience the amazing Smart Capture, you can consider purchasing the Mavic Air. And yes, if you consider the range and flight time, Mavic Pro Platinum will be the better choice. You can also make a comparison between these two drones via https://www.dji.com/products/com ... ones?from=mavic-air
If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us. We will be here to help always.
2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can’t really comment as yet to fly the Mavic Air but out of the drones I have owned/own (which are listed under my profile) the Mavic Pro Platinum is my go to drone - highly recommend it! Which one is best for you will depend on what you want out of the drone. Both have features that are better than the other but the MPP has a superior transmission, much longer flight time and is a lot quieter. The Air is packed with the latest tech and records 4K @ 100MBPS and 2.7K at 60p with a more robust gimbal. It’s also cheaper. Having said that there is no way I am selling my MPP to buy the MA but that doesn’t mean the MA isn’t right for you.
2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

One other thing - if you intend to use goggles well, OcuSync is designed for FPV - the Mavic Pro and Google’s are basically made for each other! The other drones are more compatible than optimised.
2018-2-6
Use props
lovec1990
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36158 ft
Slovenia

what is the price diffrence between Air and Pro Plantium in Switzerland, becouse here in my country(Slovenia) Air is 350€ cheaper?
2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lovec1990 Posted at 2018-2-6 03:54
what is the price diffrence between Air and Pro Plantium in Switzerland, becouse here in my country(Slovenia) Air is 350€ cheaper?

The official RRP according to the DJI online store set to Switzerland is (in Euro's) 849 for the MA standard combo, 1299 for the MPP standard combo so a 450euro difference.
2018-2-6
Use props
lovec1990
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36158 ft
Slovenia

Still OP needs to chose if fixed wing mode with the googles is worth 300€+ price diffrence. To me the Pro Platinum feels more like a real drone like you got something on your hand. The Air - despite it's qualities - has more like a toyish feel to me i belive this i kinda a good thing people will think Air is a toy so you might get less negative reactions plus Pro Plantium is a old tech
2018-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules