Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air gimbal going down on it's own
12Next >
11247 63 2018-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
exos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425486 ft
Canada

Hi,

After a few flights, this has hapenned to me on several occasions : the gimbal goes down by itself with no imput as soon as I go forward from hover. If I adjust it back up and keep going forward, it will go down again, sometimes not as much, and trying to get it upwards is problematic, it's like it doesn't want to go, or just a little bit at a time. After a while, it's back to normal... Any ideas?

2018-2-5
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

I also have the wobble and shake after take-off others have been reporting. It goes away after around 20 seconds
2018-2-5
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Is your controller in mode 2? Will the gimbal stay tilted to the ground when the quad goes back to hover?
Have you tried resetting the gimbal settings? Is the gimbal tilting sideways when the quad is going sideways? Do you have the same problem when going backwards?

Honestly it looks like you have a faulty unit.
2018-2-5
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

Controller mode is default, I believe it's mode 2 yes. Gimbal stays down when going back to hover. I have not touched the gimbal settings yet.  I did not check when going backwards. The gimbal is in follow mode, not "FPV".
2018-2-5
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

exos Posted at 2018-2-5 16:42
Controller mode is default, I believe it's mode 2 yes. Gimbal stays down when going back to hover. I have not touched the gimbal settings yet.  I did not check when going backwards. The gimbal is in follow mode, not "FPV".

Could you post a video of the problem when you have the chance? Did you buy the quad from a store or from a guy?
2018-2-5
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

exos Posted at 2018-2-5 15:06
I also have the wobble and shake after take-off others have been reporting. It goes away after around 20 seconds

Are you sure the shaking is really gone after 20 seconds and isn't comming back? Could the shaking cause the gimble to be shook downwards?

I would hate to see my Mavic shaking like I've seen on some video's, I'd sent it back.

2018-2-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Dear exos,
Just to verify, have you updated your device to the latest vision? If so, you can try to calibrate the gimbal before taking off your drone. If the problem persists, please kindly provide us with the video showing the phenomenon. We will check and help.
Thank you in advance.
2018-2-6
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-2-5 20:52
Could you post a video of the problem when you have the chance? Did you buy the quad from a store or from a guy?

I'll post later today maybe. I bought direct DJI
2018-2-6
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-2-6 01:56
Dear exos,
Just to verify, have you updated your device to the latest vision? If so, you can try to calibrate the gimbal before taking off your drone. If the problem persists, please kindly provide us with the video showing the phenomenon. We will check and help.
Thank you in advance.

I was chating with DJI support yesterday. My firmwares were all up to date, but I did updated them again except the RC. Dji assistant would not see the RC, and with my phone I did not have an option to update in the "about" section.  I will do another flight later today cause it was night when I updated.
2018-2-6
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-2-6 01:56
Dear exos,
Thank you in advance.

Hi,

So I did another 2 flights a few minutes ago, and the 2 problems remain the same. The initial shaking/wobbling after take-off stops approx. 10-20 seconds after hovering in place. On one occasion, it came back just a few seconds after initial shaking, then went away for the rest of the flight.

As for my biggest problem, well here's what I've noticed : Every single time the gimbal goes down on it's own, I get the 2 warning "Attitude too large" for both forward and backward vision sensing and a warning for "High velocity winds". Note that the wind today is 15-20 km/h at most (4 to 5.5 m/s). The warnings come just after gimbal goes down, or at the same time. Problem occurs when going from hover to forward, and also when going from backward to stop/hover. It does not occur sideways. Everytime you see the gimbal go down in the following video, I don't have my finger on the dial.
2018-2-6
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

Sorry I forgot the video link :
2018-2-6
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

So just chatted with support, and it seems like I'll have to send the drone back... bummer.
2018-2-6
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

Im a bit confused about instructions to send back the drone. Here's the 2 points of confusion :

5. Any product returned for a refund or exchange that does not include all original accessories, attachments and packaging, cannot be processed.

7. Items returned in retail packaging with shipping label attached will not be processed for refund or exchange. All items must be secured within separate packaging acceptable for transport.

So I need to use a different box than the retail one, right? So what does it mean in point 5  that original packaging must be included? I guess I need to put original box in another box, same as when I got it?
2018-2-6
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Thats gonna happen with alk airs...my mavic dies it to some degree also. Basically u are flying forward and the mavic Air does not have enough gimbal pitch to maintain the gimbal height u placed vecause of attitude of aircraft pitching down.... when I watched your video I thought you were joking because I didn't really see nothing bad I thought you meant your camera was facing down really to me this is nothing to complain about and I guarantee the next one you get will do the same exact thing.
2018-2-6
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

2 things to note were u in sport mode? It will for sure do this all the time in sport mode ... and did you try again gimbal calibration...excuse my typos on the mobile do not see an edit button!
2018-2-6
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

Not in sport mode and gimbal was calibrated, as everything else.  It also happens backwards. It also happens when going really slowly forward. And the gimbal going down is pretty violent. So I don't know. Also, I'm getting "high wind velocity" warning and "attitude too large" when the wind is only 15 km/h.
2018-2-7
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

So now I'm even more confused. Should I send it back or not?... Who else thinks this is normal?
2018-2-7
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

BTW, when you see the gimbal go back up, it's from my input. It does not come back up on it's own when I stop and hover. And another note : I don't have the issue inside, or when lower then 20 meters.
2018-2-7
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

If a DJI tech would care to chime in on this, that would be great! I want to make sure I'm not returning the Mavic Air for nothing.
2018-2-7
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

Anyone? Need input. Please?
2018-2-7
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

Allrighty then. I'm in the dark here. Since I got my case # and my UPS sticker, I guess I'll send it back. I wish some of you gurus here would have let me know if sending it back was a good idea or not. Or a DJI moderator.
2018-2-7
Use props
spookster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

exos Posted at 2018-2-7 06:49
BTW, when you see the gimbal go back up, it's from my input. It does not come back up on it's own when I stop and hover. And another note : I don't have the issue inside, or when lower then 20 meters.

This sounds to me like wind issue.
If my Mavic or Spark tells me there is wind up there all gimbal shakes/drops/tilts are an effect of high wind.
Winds can be pretty harsh just 30 meters up.
2018-2-7
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

Sorry but I don't buy this. First, wind was not very fast, only 15 km/h. Second, the gimbal drops down violently on a set of factors, it's not random, as the wind is.
2018-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

exos Posted at 2018-2-7 17:09
Sorry but I don't buy this. First, wind was not very fast, only 15 km/h. Second, the gimbal drops down violently on a set of factors, it's not random, as the wind is.

I don’t know if you have tried an IMU calibration followed by a gimbal calibration. It may not help but if you want to give it one last try.
2018-2-7
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

All possible calibrations have been tried, and done successfully.
2018-2-7
Use props
cyborg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

i don't think that's normal.  Do you get this only when you fly above a specific height ? Does it happen when you fly may be 6ft from the ground ? If it still happen without wind, then i think you have to send it back.
2018-2-7
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

exos Posted at 2018-2-6 15:46
Im a bit confused about instructions to send back the drone. Here's the 2 points of confusion :

5. Any product returned for a refund or exchange that does not include all original accessories, attachments and packaging, cannot be processed.

yes, all items in retail box then inside shipping box.
2018-2-8
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

spookster Posted at 2018-2-7 16:45
This sounds to me like wind issue.
If my Mavic or Spark tells me there is wind up there all gimbal shakes/drops/tilts are an effect of high wind.
Winds can be pretty harsh just 30 meters up.

You could be right, since the attitude messages indicate that the Angle of Attack is to steep for the Object Sensing, it could very well be that the Gimbal reaches its movement limits.
This is what would happen when moving forward threw the wind.
In the case of backwards flying, the Mavic Air in its standard settings stops (brakes) very abruptly (130%), again the Air will tilt a great deal forward when comming to a full stop, reaching the gimbals end as it would do when forward flying.

It does look like wind to me.

You could try to test it by tuning down the braking speed to 80%, and then take the Mavic for a spin, fly backwards at maximum speed and then come to a full stop and look if the camera still tilts.

2018-2-8
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

Thought of another way to test this, pitch the gimbal down to about 45 degrees and see if the issue persists. If it doesn't, it's absolutely due to the gimbal pitch up limit, which will get worse when you fly around in windy conditions
2018-2-8
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

What I don't get is : why is the camera not staying at it's upper limit when it's reached? Why does it have to tilt down?
2018-2-8
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

exos Posted at 2018-2-8 05:28
What I don't get is : why is the camera not staying at it's upper limit when it's reached? Why does it have to tilt down?

I think it's not the gimbal tilting down, but the Air itself, and its tilting more than the gimbal can handle. It then looks like the gimbal is tilting down on the video, while its actually the Air itself exceding the gimbal limit.

The gimbal has a tilt limit of 22 degrees, so everytime the Air is titling more than 22 degrees forward, due to wind, fast forward flying or braking to a stop when backwards flying, the footage will look like the gimbal is tilting downwards.

That's why you could test this with a starting position of the gimball at a 45 degrees angle downwards, it then has 67 degrees tilting room. If the gimble stays in that position while testflying you can conclude that indeed is the Air's tilting more then the gimbal can handle.

2018-2-8
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-8 05:51
I think it's not the gimbal tilting down, but the Air itself, and its tilting more than the gimbal can handle. It then looks like the gimbal is tilting down on the video, while its actually the Air itself exceding the gimbal limit.

The gimbal has a tilt limit of 22 degrees, so everytime the Air is titling more than 22 degrees forward, due to wind, fast forward flying or braking to a stop when backwards flying, the footage will look like the gimbal is tilting downwards.

The gimbal is INDEED tilting down, because every time I come to a stop, I need to tilt it up again manually, as you can see in the video.
2018-2-8
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

exos Posted at 2018-2-8 05:54
The gimbal is INDEED tilting down, because every time I come to a stop, I need to tilt it up again manually, as you can see in the video.

Ah, I'm sorry, can't make out that you were giving gimbal input in the video.

I would still give it some more test flights before sending it back though.
2018-2-8
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31896 ft
United States

exos Posted at 2018-2-5 15:06

I saw a YouTube video this morning where a guy claimed that the shaking was due to the cold temperature outside.  He flew inside, no shake.  Outside at 12F, shake.  The claim is that it has to do with a cold IMU sensor.  Once the sensor warms up some the shake stops.
I mention this because I see in your video that there is snow on the ground.
Can't comment on the camera tilt.
2018-2-8
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

exos Posted at 2018-2-7 06:49
BTW, when you see the gimbal go back up, it's from my input. It does not come back up on it's own when I stop and hover. And another note : I don't have the issue inside, or when lower then 20 meters.

screenvideo please, how ist the gimbal dot on the display moving?
2018-2-8
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

PedalingDuo Posted at 2018-2-8 06:48
I saw a YouTube video this morning where a guy claimed that the shaking was due to the cold temperature outside.  He flew inside, no shake.  Outside at 12F, shake.  The claim is that it has to do with a cold IMU sensor.  Once the sensor warms up some the shake stops.
I mention this because I see in your video that there is snow on the ground.
Can't comment on the camera tilt.

Is that 'the guy' who claims a IMU calibration of a COLD bird (one night in the garage) is the solution?
Actually that was because of strange take off behavior, but: IMU cold calibration if flying in cold conditions should help!
2018-2-8
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-2-8 07:33
screenvideo please, how ist the gimbal dot on the display moving?

I don't know yet how to do a video of my screen. But I'll check what the dot is doing later today.
2018-2-8
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

So I was able to record my phone screen. Note that when the gimbal goes down fast, I have no input. When it goes up, it's me. Here's the video :
2018-2-8
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Dude this is the most dumbest pist i ever seen....if u cant clearly tell tgats a limitation of the gimabl idk what to tell u....u are flying and attitude of ac is pitching down so gimbal is trying to compensate. Then u stop and put gimbal Max all the way back up to the top I don't know who would film all of the sky anyway no one ever really does that (thirds rule for good video) it's like you are trying to find a limitation of the aircraft I don't know what to tell you but I can guarantee when you get your next mavic Air it will do the same exact thing tried to explain this to you before but do as you please it is your aircraft after all. I'm just trying to explain that because the attitude of the aircraft is pitching down the gimbal simply cannot keep up it is a tiny gimbal on a tiny aircraft what more do you expect?
2018-2-8
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Also when u are doing 20mph and the mavic air puts on the brakes the gimbal compensates! Damn doing 20 mph to full braking will cause this because the ac stops violently.do u not see this?...why dont u  try flying slow and then slowly let off right stick so active brake doesnt kick in as hard!.  Also turn braking down from stock 120 to 80...just be careful braking distance will be longer.
2018-2-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules