Mavic Air gimbal going down on it's own
11252 63 2018-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
exos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 425486 ft
Canada

First,  you don't have to be rude. This is my first drone. Several people told me this is not normal. Even DJI told me to return it after seing the first video. Second, this happened to me once this afternoon in Tripod mode... so how slow do I have to go???
2018-2-8
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

Also, if somebody here with the Mavic Air would like to replicate this to show me all Mavic Air do this, then I will be happy.
2018-2-8
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Dji always tells people to return their ac even if its an app issue....look good luck in the future man
2018-2-8
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Also mine does do this ...and i explained to you why that it does this. I don't really care to put a video up... like I said man good luck
2018-2-8
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

Just watched this video with a Mavic Air fighting the wind. The footage was rock steady.....

The user also made an active track video and the funny thing is that at his first run the gimbal was twichy ..... so obviously there seems to be an issue with some gimbals
2018-2-9
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

it's not normal.
go to the gimbal settings, advanced settings, and enable upwards gimbal tilt thing.
no idea if it will do anything, but worth a try.
ok just watched your video.
why do you tilt the gimbal that much up before you start?

e: changed my mind, disable the upwards gimbal tilt thing.
i guess it is normal that if you overextend the gimbal to its upper limit and tilt the drone, that that happens, as the gimbal has no more room left to go anwhere higher.

first video does not look normal. second video seems like you are doing it wrong.
2018-2-9
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

Isn't it obvious that there is a proble, with the gimbal? If the gimbal is tilted upwards and the drone moves obviously  there is no way to compensate for the movement. BUT the gimbal should remain at that position and NOT drop by itself to centered or lower position. That behaviour is not normal.
2018-2-9
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-8 13:58
Dude this is the most dumbest pist i ever seen....if u cant clearly tell tgats a limitation of the gimabl idk what to tell u....u are flying and attitude of ac is pitching down so gimbal is trying to compensate. Then u stop and put gimbal Max all the way back up to the top I don't know who would film all of the sky anyway no one ever really does that (thirds rule for good video) it's like you are trying to find a limitation of the aircraft I don't know what to tell you but I can guarantee when you get your next mavic Air it will do the same exact thing tried to explain this to you before but do as you please it is your aircraft after all. I'm just trying to explain that because the attitude of the aircraft is pitching down the gimbal simply cannot keep up it is a tiny gimbal on a tiny aircraft what more do you expect?

Ow come on, with a 100 times more flighttime/experience than Topic Starter you must have seen way more dumb things.
2018-2-9
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

ggeorgis Posted at 2018-2-9 01:15
Isn't it obvious that there is a proble, with the gimbal? If the gimbal is tilted upwards and the drone moves obviously  there is no way to compensate for the movement. BUT the gimbal should remain at that position and NOT drop by itself to centered or lower position. That behaviour is not normal.

That's what I'm thinking too. Of course the gimbal doesn't have room to go higher, but why would it go down and not stay there?
2018-2-9
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

Just found this on youtube. Exact same problem I have :
2018-2-9
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

exos Posted at 2018-2-8 12:47
So I was able to record my phone screen. Note that when the gimbal goes down fast, I have no input. When it goes up, it's me. Here's the video :

Like some have already mentioned, you're making use of the 'extended gimball limit' and are tilting the camera upwards above the horizon, by doing so you are effectively taking away the aircrafts capability to gimbal out the aircrafts movements. If you tilt it 10 degrees upwards, you'll just have 12 degrees of aircraft tilting left before you hit the end of the crafts capabilities. (that's why I said you should test tilting the camera down and see if the issue persists, which it won't)

When you say that it doesn't go back to the 10 degrees upwards tilt after movement, I can confirm. DJI could probably fix that, but then again, it could be that by doing so will give more complaints than it solves, because it doesn't really give a nice touch if the picture keeps swaying up and down.
In any case, this wouldn't be a problem if you don't pitch up withind the 'extended gimball limit' with the exeption of high winds.

Both UCBarkeeper and $gambino$ advice is solid, don't use the extend gimball feature, its use is for specific angle video/photo's anyway. And reduce braking force if still needed.

And to confirm, I've just tested and my Mavic Air does exactly the same as in your second video. Only when creeping forward really, really, really slowly it keeps the gimball from moving.

So I'd also say, don't use the extended gimball limit, unless you need it for specific footage, and shoot some more of that great Canadian snowy footage! (or buy a more expensive drone with bigger and free gimball movements)

2018-2-9
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-9 05:43
Like some have already mentioned, you're making use of the 'extended gimball limit' and are tilting the camera upwards above the horizon, by doing so you are effectively taking away the aircrafts capability to gimbal out the aircrafts movements. If you tilt it 10 degrees upwards, you'll just have 12 degrees of aircraft tilting left before you hit the end of the crafts capabilities. (that's why I said you should test tilting the camera down and see if the issue persists, which it won't)

When you say that it doesn't go back to the 10 degrees upwards tilt after movement, I can confirm. DJI could probably fix that, but then again, it could be that by doing so will give more complaints than it solves, because it doesn't really give a nice touch if the picture keeps swaying up and down.

Thank you. But in my first video, where the problem is exactly the same, the gimbal extend limit is NOT activated.
2018-2-9
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

exos Posted at 2018-2-9 06:12
Thank you. But in my first video, where the problem is exactly the same, the gimbal extend limit is NOT activated.

Your welcome, it's a learning experience for me to.

It could still be the wind up high in the first video, I'd test some more if I were you
2018-2-9
Use props
exos
lvl.2
Canada

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-9 06:37
Your welcome, it's a learning experience for me to.

It could still be the wind up high in the first video, I'd test some more if I were you

I agree it must be the wind. But I have a hard time understanding why the gimbal does not stay to it's upward limit, why does it have to go down violently like that? I've tested it more inside without the gimbal limit extend activated, and there is no issue. I've tested it outside, there's almost no wind on ground, and I was again able to reproduce the issue... BUT, sometime, if I go very very slow on the FWD stick, the issue is not present. So I've decided to hold off the replacement for now and give me more time to test. I surely don't want to replace it for nothing and get a new one that does the same. I wish some people could try and replicate this on this thread.
2018-2-9
Use props
fans31a5f31e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 934026 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've got the same problem.  Flying any altitude, wind conditions and temp can produce the problem.  Flying straight and level the other day no wind and about 10 MPH when all of a sudden the gimbal points down on its own about 5 degrees.  No extreme conditions at all no reason at all.  DroneU review said this is a "feature"  not sure that's true.  I believe its a defect.
2018-5-18
Use props
losga77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11270 ft
Italy

i have the same problem on my mavic 2 pro. how did you solve?
2019-3-28
Use props
Ccook129
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2140636 ft
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-8 14:04
Also when u are doing 20mph and the mavic air puts on the brakes the gimbal compensates! Damn doing 20 mph to full braking will cause this because the ac stops violently.do u not see this?...why dont u  try flying slow and then slowly let off right stick so active brake doesnt kick in as hard!.  Also turn braking down from stock 120 to 80...just be careful braking distance will be longer.

I did not see 20 mph
2019-4-25
Use props
Karolina
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106299 ft
Poland

I have kind of a similar problem with a warranty replaced Mavic air - but the gimbal is going slightly up. I noticed that the gimbal that is pointed all the way down jerks/moves up a little bit during breaking and does not return to the 100% downward position. I need to readjust it with the controller to point downward again. When I switch to the Cinema Mode with the longest breaking distance possible and the jerk does not happen even if I abruptly let loose of the forward stick. So there's that. I'm pretty sure that my first original drone didn't exhibit such behaviour.
But I didn't perform IMU calibration yet nor the gimbal calibration. Maybe I'll try and I'll let you know if it helps...
2019-4-27
Use props
fans4b21e804
lvl.1

United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-8 13:58
Dude this is the most dumbest pist i ever seen....if u cant clearly tell tgats a limitation of the gimabl idk what to tell u....u are flying and attitude of ac is pitching down so gimbal is trying to compensate. Then u stop and put gimbal Max all the way back up to the top I don't know who would film all of the sky anyway no one ever really does that (thirds rule for good video) it's like you are trying to find a limitation of the aircraft I don't know what to tell you but I can guarantee when you get your next mavic Air it will do the same exact thing tried to explain this to you before but do as you please it is your aircraft after all. I'm just trying to explain that because the attitude of the aircraft is pitching down the gimbal simply cannot keep up it is a tiny gimbal on a tiny aircraft what more do you expect?

Yeah same problem. I go up, hover, and then go forward, even when not in sport mode, and at about like 10mph the gimbal drops.
It is not a normal function. There is no way you would be okay with your gimbal dropping every time you exceed 10mph.
2019-4-30
Use props
mylzq
New
Guam

sounds like a bad problem
2019-4-30
Use props
mylzq
New
Guam

sounds like a bad problem
2019-4-30
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221906 ft
United States

exos Posted at 2018-2-6 12:54
Sorry I forgot the video link : https://youtu.be/canekh-qiuU

Looks like it going in and out of Sport Mode by itself.
2019-4-30
Use props
Alex1976
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556867 ft
Italy

Like others have said it's a normal behaviuor of the Mavic Air due to gimbal limit. My Mavic Air make the same....i wouldn't send it to DJI because you have high chance that the next drone you will receive have the same problem.
2019-5-1
Use props
GMyoda
lvl.2

Got this same gimbal problem with my Mavic 2 Zoom.
2019-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules