Lost connection mid flight.....
4528 11 2018-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RandyHat
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Got the Mavic Air today and took it out for a couple of short flights.  Everything went fine.  On the third flight I was in my back yard and took it straight up to about 300ft.  Got a message that there was "strong interference".  Then off and on I would get a disconnect message on my controller.  The first couple of times it reconnected but finally it disconnected and remained disconnected.  After a few seconds I got the message that the aircraft would land.  It began its descent....until it got to about 12ft.  It was coming down pretty close to the edge of the roof of my house.   Apparently it was too close and the sensor stopped the descent.  So, the Mavic was just above me...out of reach and I had no control of it.  I have a Spark and a Phantom 4 Pro but had never lost control of either of them so I was a bit panicked at first but I thought that since it was disconnected already that it would do no more harm to turn off the remote controller and turn it back on, hoping it could reestablish connection.  It did, and as soon as it did I got a message to the effect that the landing area was not suitable.  I assume it was due to the proximity to the roof.  As soon as I flew it a couple of feet away from the roof it completed its fail safe landing.  I flew a bit more after that and had no more connection issues.  I have to assume it was a WiFi interference issue.  Just glad I was able to regain control of it.
2018-2-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Glad that you could get the control back. If it doesn't happen again, it may be caused by the interference around. Basically, we suggest flying in an open area and stay away from the interference. You can also check the WiFi Settings on the app, choose a channel with fewer noises. Keep flying safely.
2018-2-5
Use props
RandyHat
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-5 19:24
Glad that you could get the control back. If it doesn't happen again, it may be caused by the interference around. Basically, we suggest flying in an open area and stay away from the interference. You can also check the WiFi Settings on the app, choose a channel with fewer noises. Keep flying safely.

In reviewing other messages in the forum I see that I am not the only one who has experienced a disconnect.  I flew the Mavic Air in the same area where I have flown the Spark and Phantom 4.  I never experienced any connection or interference issues before.  I'm not saying this is a common problem with the Mavic Air but there is at least some evidence that my experience is not isolated.
2018-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You probably only lost connection from phone to RC , when you switched off RC it triggered RTH , I presume you were within 20 metres of homepoint so Aircraft goes into landing mode.

It would help if you put up your flight log.
Just click on link and follow instructions come back here and post link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-2-6
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

United States

Any suspicious activity in your area? Guys with weird SDR equipment or war drivers?
2018-2-6
Use props
RandyHat
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-6 07:52
Any suspicious activity in your area? Guys with weird SDR equipment or war drivers?

Well...I had to google "SDR equipment" and "war drivers" to find out what you were talking about.  I doubt that activity is occurring in my neighborhood, but you never know what your neighbors are up to.  :-)
2018-2-6
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

United States

RandyHat Posted at 2018-2-6 08:37
Well...I had to google "SDR equipment" and "war drivers" to find out what you were talking about.  I doubt that activity is occurring in my neighborhood, but you never know what your neighbors are up to.  :-)

At least you learned something... And war driving is more common than maybe perceived by general public. Not to mention Cali, ppl putting jammers (both WiFi and GPS) on their properties to protect from drones.
2018-2-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Taking your drone straight up is what caused your problem. watch this video the whole way through - the probable cause of your problem is explained 47 seconds into the clip. remember it is not just where the signal is best transmitted from the rc but also the position of the antennae on the drone. Probably most confusing is the message which tells of strong interferance but maybe more accurately should say "poor signal /losing signal strength - adjust your antennae or adjust your drones position "
2018-2-6
Use props
MFPullen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6257444 ft
  • >>>
United States

Straight up is never a way you want to fly while trying to maintain good signal strength.  Every DJI drone has a weak link and that is straight over your head.
2018-2-6
Use props
RandyHat
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

MFPullen Posted at 2018-2-6 15:23
Straight up is never a way you want to fly while trying to maintain good signal strength.  Every DJI drone has a weak link and that is straight over your head.

Thanks for the information.  I did reposition the antennas to account for the overhead position of the drone but I see that this is still not an optimum positioning.  I am not sure I have ever had an occasion to take the drone straight up over my head without any horizontal movement before and I will avoid this maneuver in the future.
2018-2-6
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

U took it straight up this is why you lost connection... if you do go straight up next time orientate your antennas flat so they are aiming to the sky (flat side to sky)
2018-2-6
Use props
COMTHRE3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1609478 ft
Kuwait

Hello all,

Just got my Mavic Air today, nifty little thing. I tried flying it between the exact same two points I fly my Mavic pro. I've flown that path numerous times with the pro. When I tried it with the Air, it lost video signal at around 30 meters up, then lost the signal, and commenced the RTH sequence. The area im trying to fly at is a highly populated area with many skyscrapers around. My Mavic Pro has no issues flying that path, not my Air sadly.

The distance between the two points is around 1K and 90meters up.

Is this normal?

Thank you
2018-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules