Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
restrictions on phantom 2? & get it instead of phnatom 3?
1249 8 2015-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronequestions
lvl.1

Canada

I am wondering maybe if I should get a phantom 2 instead of a phantom 3.

Phantom 3 seems to have several restrictions - No fly zones built in (and you can't do anything about it), arbitray "max" height of 500m (so flying up mountains, etc is a no-no).

Does the phantom 2 have these same restrictions, or if not, what are they?

Thanks!

2015-4-28
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

That 500m restriction is from ground level, your take off point.  
2015-4-28
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

The new versions of software upgrades has the no fly zones built into it for the Phantom 2. So it's your choice the 2 or 3 both are similar as far as flying. There are some third party software that lifts some of the restrictions. however, I would recommend staying within the FAA regulations if in the U.S. Line of sight and 400 ft. High. However, I do have to admit when flying autotomus that 1,625 ft is beyond sight. But I do watch the FPV and keep up with the bird.
2015-4-28
Use props
I. P. Freely
lvl.4

United States

That's an interesting point!  Flying up a mountain.  So, from the takeoff point you can likely fly 1500 feet up but still be less than 500 feet from the ground further up the mountain.
2015-4-28
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

I. P. Freely Posted at 2015-4-29 09:57
That's an interesting point!  Flying up a mountain.  So, from the takeoff point you can likely fly 1 ...

They have had flights take off from the base camp of Mt Everest.  As long as you are within 500 feet altitude of your takeoff point, you won't be breaking the restriction.
2015-4-28
Use props
dronequestions
lvl.1

Canada

roy@mcscomputer Posted at 2015-4-29 09:42
The new versions of software upgrades has the no fly zones built into it for the Phantom 2. So it's  ...

hi - what 3rd party software can you recommend? not flying in the us.
2015-4-28
Use props
dronequestions
lvl.1

Canada

and pps

b) does the same software work for both 2 & 3?
c) where can I get the 1.0.8 version?
2015-4-28
Use props
roy
lvl.4

United States

Some of the guys that fly third part software can better answer the question there. I know that a 3rd part mod by ilovecoffee removed the restriction on the distance of autonomous flying where DJI had a restriction of around 1,625 ft out. You just have to be mindful of flight time out and back and the number of way point to be sure your battery can get your bird back home safely. You can look on you tube and see where others have made unbelievable flight up and out and see what software they are running. That may help.
2015-4-29
Use props
davidw1963
lvl.2

United States

Ultimate flight and Vision Plus Apps allow longer distance. Also the furthur you go the faster you go.. So you get back without running out of battery.
2015-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules