Didn't think it would happen to me . . .
1891 28 2015-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13 ft
Canada

So I was out for a normal flight today everything checked out including all cell levels on my battery.  Long story short, I'm at 30% battery figured it was time to bring it in, before I do that I throw it into ATTI mode to fly back and my battery drops from 26% to 7% instantly.  This immeidiately initiated emergency landing right where it was (no return to home once you get to 10%)  luckily I was in a field. . . . I can't imagine being anywhere else.  Any ideas? its my 10th charge using this battery, and normally I stop and recharge at about 40% . . . . here is the flight video . . .   
2015-4-28
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

Please show us a screenshot of the battery screen.
2015-4-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Wow, that's scary, glad you weren't over the ocean at the time!

I've heard of it doing that when the battery drops under 20% but haven't seen it drop from 26% before.

Hope there's an explanation somewhere to give us all some comfort and confidence.
2015-4-28
Use props
jimk714
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Nightmare!  Which battery TB47 or TB48?  Which Inspire 1...A Version or B Version?  So looks like the flight was started with reportedly 40% or so on your battery....do you know how many lights were lit up on the battery in the Inspire 1?  Thanks for the post.
2015-4-28
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

jimk714@aol.com Posted at 2015-4-29 09:22
Nightmare!  Which battery TB47 or TB48?  Which Inspire 1...A Version or B Version?  So looks like th ...

I would like to know which battery also!
2015-4-28
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Canada

Tb47, I don't know what version of inspire.  and I knew the battery did have less than 50 percent when I started... I had flown the other 50 percent just previous to that...
2015-4-28
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

Nightmare!  Which battery TB47 or TB48?  Which Inspire 1...A Version or B Version?  So looks like th ...

When this happened to me my batteries were about 80% when I started the flight. The 2 times it happened that day both batteries fell from 35% to less than 10. Lesson learned?  Never start a flight with batteries that aren't full when they are inserted in the I1.
2015-4-28
Use props
SkySight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143566828 ft
United States

I've had this happen twice. Literally the exact same numbers. They both occurred on the same original battery that came with the I1 which is a TB-47 and I believe my model is the A model. What's the difference between an A, B, or C if anyone knows? I can post it as a separate thread if you prefer.
2015-4-28
Use props
gennacide
lvl.3
Flight distance : 551056 ft
  • >>>
United States

How do you tell what version of inspire you have??? and what's the difference?
2015-4-28
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
South Korea

If I remember well, what I red on an other post. You can make the difference by the type of carbon fiber used on the arms. If the carbon fiber is made of a regular design formed by multiple square it is a Version B, if not it is an A.

Excuse my English, I had some trouble to explain my thought on that one...
2015-4-28
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

Having read numerous stories of the sudden-drop phenomenon, I am wondering if the smart battery computation of remaining power is less accurate when powered up from less than a fully charged state? It might then recalculate and realize there is less power available than previously thought. I also wonder it is merely a software/firmware glitch? This deserves a systematic investigation probably by people smarter than me, but I am going to conduct some trials with my 3 TB47's in safe flying areas from fully charged states, and then with various lower charged states in areas where a critically-low battery forced landing won't destroy my bird.
2015-4-29
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

I don't know the difference between version A and B but I believe that version C shipped with the quick release props. Other than that C may be the same as B.
2015-4-29
Use props
fullyestablishe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I certainly think that for now it is prudent to fly only with full packs. I do seem to recall that there might have been instances even with full batteries dropping precipitously.    At least the individual cells should be able to be monitored from the main screen with with appropriate annunciation of error states.                                       
2015-4-29
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

With version C you get the new props, new plastic case for the camera filter, camo pattern on the frame, loaded with recent firmware.  

Same case and same foam internally that crumbles and bits come off  when coming into contact with the engine threads.  Also the velcro pads for all the straps seem to just lose all adhesion.  The case is probably the least of worries, although I am concerned that foam will get into one of the engines and cause problems.  A solution for DJI may be to provide some hard plastic insert linings into the engine cut-outs on the case lid, so that the engine doesn't rip into the foam every time you close the case.
2015-4-29
Use props
dshanesmith
lvl.2
Flight distance : 920577 ft
United States

I find rapid drops in my TB47. I do not trust that battery for anything other than short flights. My TB48 has been amazing.
2015-4-29
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Canada

So here is the battery after charging, looks the same way it did when I started it last flight. Sooo I guess if your battery looks like this you might want to consider not flying passed 50% or you'll be asking for trouble....
2015-04-29 10.21.59.jpg
2015-4-29
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'm not sure I'd undertake a new flight with just 50% battery. But the more concerning point is the drop in % you are seeing.
2015-4-29
Use props
chrisfromalbany
lvl.2

United States

I like a fly TB48 better then TB47.. if flying over water or longer distances recharge all batteries the same day or night before.  I have seen power loses or seem drop power quicker on week old charges.  And always fly with fully charged batteries.  But even with that seen people have problems.. Now wondering if check voltage levels of each cell before I take off.  If there is a differences of +/- .2 voltage then could be issue.
2015-4-29
Use props
kappaOS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1276778 ft
Italy

Had this issue with both TB48 after the recent update.
Never happend before.
2015-4-29
Use props
Acidsnow
lvl.4
Canada

I'm not sure calling this an "issue" is the correct term, maybe down right crazy is better way to describe this problem? why is DJI not on this like a fat kid on a Smartie???  
2015-4-29
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

Acidsnow Posted at 2015-4-30 02:51
I'm not sure calling this an "issue" is the correct term, maybe down right crazy is better way to de ...

Something is indeed wrong...You battery looks like it is in pristine condition...This is very strange...I honestly don't have an answer for you....I am flying with the tb47 battery that came with the Inspire and it behaves very well. I just bought a tb48 and I am going to run a tun of tests on it. This is possibly a firmware problem.
On another note is the firmware on the battery up to date as well?
2015-4-29
Use props
amorrison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325230 ft
  • >>>
United States

If the battery percentages are calculated on voltage alone, those voltage changes are VERY small and take an really accurate meter to measure. It may be a good idea to keep track of the flight time on each battery from full charge, so you know that a TB48 will typically give you 14 mins of flight time (example) to 20%.  This will vary some based on how aggressively you fly but still, its a good cross-check for the DJI Battery percentages. If that time changes, i.e. all of a sudden you are only getting 10 mins to 20% and your flight habits haven't changed, you might want to be careful with that particular battery. Don't use it on critical flights and keep watch on individual cells when you are flying...
2015-4-29
Use props
stevenstringer
lvl.3

United Kingdom

My TB47 Battery, did the same think, went from 30% to 6% instantly, then lander, lucky was only in the garden!!
2015-4-29
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

I have a watt meter and a timer.
I know exactly how much mah I use, how much I have left, how long it takes to use it, and I measure how much I am putting back in (to confirm my numbers).
I will NOT leave my I1 to "chance" like most of you are doing.

In all my years of electric flight, I have never had a red light blink on my controller to tell me when it's time to land.

FWI, there is nothing wrong with the lipo cells, it is the firmware that is causing the problems.

Also, I have heard zero talk about measured flight times, (guys relying on Mom to tell them when they have flown long enough?).

Bob "full pack" Marley
2015-4-29
Use props
jimcloud74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1298317 ft
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-30 09:05
I know exactly how much mah I use, how much I have left, how long i ...

You, my friend, are hilarious! Please keep it up. You make forum surfing enjoyable
2015-4-30
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-30 09:05
I know exactly how much mah I use, how much I have left, how long i ...

You Da Man!

Crab "6 pack" Hawk
2015-4-30
Use props
dmytchak
lvl.3

United States

jimcloud74@yaho Posted at 2015-5-1 02:01
You, my friend, are hilarious! Please keep it up. You make forum surfing enjoyable

2015-4-30
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Your such an idiot.

My post comments on the TOPIC, (and your post is a personal attack on myself).

So who's the Troll?

You think others are stupid and they don't see that, but they do, (troll)

Bob "troll proof" Marley
2015-4-30
Use props
dmytchak
lvl.3

United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-5-1 03:55
Your such an idiot.

My post comments on the TOPIC, (and your post is a personal attack on myself) ...

Hey there Bob.

Lets talk about this.  Take a good hard look at your behavior on these forums (DJI, InspirePilots, RC Groups).  You state your opinion as fact.  If someone disagrees, you stomp your feet like a toddler having a little tantrum.  You're a narcissistic fool and the sad part is, you don't even see it.   Its so bad, your posts are being deleted not because of censorship but rather you being a complete ass.

If your up to the challenge, lets open it up to the forum and see how people truly appreciate your 'feedback'.  I for one am sick and tired of your shit.

To the rest of the forum - sorry - had to be done. Please hit the support button if you agree.

-David
2015-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules