1569 17 2018-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joshua Carlton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24094 ft
  • >>>
United States

[size=14.666666984558105px]The Mavic Air is the only drone that has asked me to calibrate the compass every flight, (about 6) Different locations including a large field with no obvious signs of interference. Are you guys experiencing this as well?
2018-2-5
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Not for mine. Are you carrying any device with you that could cause interference?
2018-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Where is it asking you, what I mean is it in the top left hand corner where go fly is, or is it on opening check list ?
2018-2-6
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Were do you store your MA, near some loudspeaker or other magnetic items in your room/ car/ bag?
2018-2-6
Use props
Joshua Carlton
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-6 09:55
Not for mine. Are you carrying any device with you that could cause interference?

No, I don't have any keys on me or a watch or anything.
2018-2-6
Use props
Joshua Carlton
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-6 10:10
Where is it asking you, what I mean is it in the top left hand corner where go fly is, or is it on opening check list ?

Top Left corner in red.
2018-2-6
Use props
Joshua Carlton
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Anoniem Posted at 2018-2-6 10:25
Were do you store your MA, near some loudspeaker or other magnetic items in your room/ car/ bag?

I keep it it my camera bag. Same place I kept the Mavic Pro.
2018-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Once your aircraft is turned off compass cannot be affected so you can rule that one out.

Is the message to calibrate compass or move to another location ?
2018-2-6
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-6 13:29
Once your aircraft is turned off compass cannot be affected so you can rule that one out.

Is the message to calibrate compass or move to another location ?

Metal materials like screws and shielding inside the mavic can be magnetic after being placed closely to a magnetic field. When you power on the drone, the compass can be influenced .

Ever seen this cfixer device, it is designed to demagnetize drones because of compass errors and fly aways. Did see a video clip that is being used when the drone is not powered on.
I hope this makes sense, what is your idea about internal parts getting magnetized?
2018-2-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Anoniem Posted at 2018-2-6 13:46
Metal materials like screws and shielding inside the mavic can be magnetic after being placed closely to a magnetic field. When you power on the drone, the compass can be influenced .

Ever seen this cfixer device, it is designed to demagnetize drones because of compass errors and fly aways. Did see a video clip that is being used when the drone is not powered on.

This is a brand new drone stored in his bag turned off he doesn’t need a cfixer, I have been flying drones for over 8 years never had to use cfixer and never will, short of OP putting his drone in a bag of nails this is not what he should be doing.
2018-2-6
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I just posted about this very issue today.
2018-2-6
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Joshua Carlton Posted at 2018-2-6 13:26
I keep it it my camera bag. Same place I kept the Mavic Pro.

Hi, there. I would recommend you fly in another environment and see if the error message disappears. Thanks for your support.
compass.JPG
2018-2-10
Use props
Supong
lvl.4
Thailand

Some said the iPhone X generates magnetic interferance. Do you use it as DJI Go 4 device?
2018-2-10
Use props
Joshua Carlton
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Happy to report that it is not asking me anymore, Maybe it just took a few flights to get a solid calibration. Thanks guys!
2018-2-10
Use props
RandyHat
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

My first drone experience was with the Inspire 1 and Phantom 3.  Compass calibration was just part of the regular pre-flight process.  It was pretty much required or suggested prior to each flight.  With subsequent drones (Phantom 4 pro+, Spark, and now Mavic Air) it is less of an issue.  Having said that though I too have noticed that the Mavic Air is requiring compass calibration frequently...more so than either the Spark or Phantom 4 pro.  It calibrates quickly and all is well but it does seem to be a little more sensitive magnetic interference than either of my other two drones.
2018-2-11
Use props
RandyHat
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-11 07:06
Not sure this is correct.  Once I sat my Vision+ overnight atop the box of of a huge Sony boombox I had purchased.  Never occurred to me at the time that there were some huge magnets in that box.  I had perpetual compass errors afterwards. I would calibrate & it would either fail or request another calibration each time I restarted the aircraft.  Realizing what I had done I was going to replace the compass (actually ordered one) but a friend had a wand deguasser which solved the problem.

Update:  Mavic AIR is requiring compass calibration now on almost every flight.  This doesn't sound normal.
2018-2-14
Use props
Kune
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2773465 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I also have the same issue..... but I realized that when I switch on my mavic air, having the controller connected to my iphone X, 5 meters away from the drone.... then It doesn't ask me for calibration. But if I have the iphone X + controller close when I I switch the mavic air on, then it asks for compass calibration again.  Only happens when I have the iPhone X. With iPhone 6 or ipads no problems.

A friend of mine who has also a mavic air.....  and he never had the compass calibration issue, I gave him my iPhone X becasue he fogot his own mobile phone at home. Then unespectally, he started to have the same issue as well..... that's when I realized  that the combination controller + iPhone x has something to do with this issue!!
Another thing is when I have the iPhone X close to the drone doing the calibration process, normally it fails. But when I take it away a few meters then it calibrates succefully...

a strange coincidence? Not sure about that..

2018-2-14
Use props
nhojyer88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144875 ft
Singapore

Kune Posted at 2018-2-14 05:17
I also have the same issue..... but I realized that when I switch on my mavic air, having the controller connected to my iphone X, 5 meters away from the drone.... then It doesn't ask me for calibration. But if I have the iphone X + controller close when I I switch the mavic air on, then it asks for compass calibration again.  Only happens when I have the iPhone X. With iPhone 6 or ipads no problems.

A friend of mine who has also a mavic air.....  and he never had the compass calibration issue, I gave him my iPhone X becasue he fogot his own mobile phone at home. Then unespectally, he started to have the same issue as well..... that's when I realized  that the combination controller + iPhone x has something to do with this issue!!

I’m having the same issue with my Mavic Air & iPhone X. I’ll try to use different phone on my next flight and see if the issue will disappear.
2018-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules