That Was Cold! P4P in Extreme Cold Weather
1692 22 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TravelPhotoFilm
lvl.2

United States

It has been a cold, cold winter here in Mongolia, so I put together this video on how the Phantom 4 Pro performed one morning.  Apologies--the spoken audio gets better after a few seconds.

2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great video!        
2018-2-6
Use props
TravelPhotoFilm
lvl.2

United States

Thank you for taking a look!  Hope you found it to be a helpful data point!
2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I did - thanks again
2018-2-6
Use props
dobova
lvl.3
Flight distance : 664337 ft
Italy

Interesting... So you got a frozen Ipad and no problem on the P4P at all...
2018-2-7
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Good video !Thanks for sharing
2018-2-7
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

That is seriously cold. Here's me complaining about -5 C, still I am British it is in our genes to complain about the weather!
2018-2-7
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.2

Canada

Great test !

thx

PS  Why is there someone walking backwards in the end of your video lol
2018-2-7
Use props
Timinator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3481985 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Awesome.  Did you notice any flight control changes?  With air that cold it is pretty dense so I'd expect awesome rates of climb.
2018-2-7
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Working well
2018-2-7
Use props
TravelPhotoFilm
lvl.2

United States

dobova Posted at 2018-2-7 00:30
Interesting... So you got a frozen Ipad and no problem on the P4P at all...

The P4P battery for sure had some degradation, but the drone overall held up well.  With a switch to the second battery, I expected similar performance.  In this case, the iPad was the limiting factor, so time for me to find some ways to keep my screen warm!  Many thanks for taking a look at the video!
2018-2-7
Use props
TravelPhotoFilm
lvl.2

United States

embayweather Posted at 2018-2-7 05:44
That is seriously cold. Here's me complaining about -5 C, still I am British it is in our genes to complain about the weather!

Everything is relative!  A few days earlier it was -45 on my walk to work!  Enjoy your "warm" weather, and thank you for taking a look at the video!
2018-2-7
Use props
TravelPhotoFilm
lvl.2

United States

It's a little known fact that all Mongolians walk backward as default. . . .

Actually, I've seen this in other parts of Asia.  Seems to be a form of calisthenic, probably an exercise to maintain/improve balance!  Many thanks for taking a look at the video!
2018-2-7
Use props
TravelPhotoFilm
lvl.2

United States

Timinator Posted at 2018-2-7 09:29
Awesome.  Did you notice any flight control changes?  With air that cold it is pretty dense so I'd expect awesome rates of climb.

I can't say I noticed a lot of changes, though I had on very thick gloves so I didn't have the fine motor skills I usually do.  Certainly the drone was responsive!
2018-2-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No prop icing? humidity must have been quite low?
2018-2-7
Use props
TravelPhotoFilm
lvl.2

United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-2-7 22:31
No prop icing? humidity must have been quite low?

At those temps here, usually between 60-70% humidity, and the lowest humidity that day was 52%.  But it looks like the dew point was -29C, and I think it's just too cold for the humidity to stick to anything at those temps.  In the end, there was no ice on the props when I removed them.  It's not a great shot, but you can see the props at the end of the video, when I'm walking back to the car, and they are basically ice free.  Really appreciate your comment and viewing the video!
2018-2-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's good, I was flying in freezing fog the other day, props and legs froze over lol, soon packed up and went hone5
2018-2-8
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Lol I feel cold just by looking!
2018-2-8
Use props
TravelPhotoFilm
lvl.2

United States

Timinator Posted at 2018-2-7 09:29

Had one additional thought.  UB sits at almost 5000 feet above sea level.  I wonder if the thinner air makes for less apparent variations in density.  Anyone know?
2018-2-10
Use props
Timinator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3481985 ft
  • >>>
Canada

TravelPhotoFilm Posted at 2018-2-10 06:22
Had one additional thought.  UB sits at almost 5000 feet above sea level.  I wonder if the thinner air makes for less apparent variations in density.  Anyone know?

That might make sense.  It's just a question  if the altitude has a greater effect than the temperature.
2018-2-11
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Obsidian will not even start at 34f. I have a DJI Lemon.
2018-2-11
Use props
TravelPhotoFilm
lvl.2

United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-2-11 17:48
My Obsidian will not even start at 34f. I have a DJI Lemon.

That does sound a bit odd.  Did you try keeping the battery warm before flying?  Just keeping it inside your jacket should do the trick.  If you can keep the drone warm-ish before flight (i.e. not leaving it in the cold overnight or something), in my experience it should fire up and fly decently.  
2018-2-13
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

TravelPhotoFilm Posted at 2018-2-13 19:20
That does sound a bit odd.  Did you try keeping the battery warm before flying?  Just keeping it inside your jacket should do the trick.  If you can keep the drone warm-ish before flight (i.e. not leaving it in the cold overnight or something), in my experience it should fire up and fly decently.

Not a Battery issue.  It is the Phantom itself
2018-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules