2018-2-6
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Suggested Camera Settings

Easy Workflow : Color - D-Cinelike / Style - 0, 0, -1

♥ Best Quality (IMO) : Color / D-Cinelike / Syle - 0, -3, -2 + contrast LUT in post

Suggested Gimbal Settings :
Yaw Movement Limit - 35Max
Gimbal Pitch Speed - 9
Extend Gimbal tilt Limit - Yes (to tilt up)
Gimbal Pitch Smoothness - 19
2018-2-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes, that is a great tutorial if you aks me.
2018-2-6
Use props
ianpatrocinio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388199 ft
  • >>>
Philippines

nice tutorial
2018-2-7
Use props
fans69d4f866
New

Philippines

Just got my mavic! Gonna try this later, thanks!
2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, this is an excellent tutorial
2018-2-7
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

Very informative! Thank you for sharing mate
2018-2-7
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Awesome video, great find! Thanks for sharing!
2018-2-7
Use props
Surface2Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

Thanks for sharing!
2018-2-7
Use props
MrArtDept
lvl.1

United States

I am new to this, so forgive my ignorance. But I am basically copying his settings just to play around with it, and I see the -5.0 at the bottom, and that slider can't be adjusted. What setting is that for?
2018-2-7
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOLA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

MrArtDept Posted at 2018-2-7 07:43
[view_image]

I am new to this, so forgive my ignorance. But I am basically copying his settings just to play around with it, and I see the -5.0 at the bottom, and that slider can't be adjusted. What setting is that for?

I believe that the -5 is for exposure compensation. While the slider itself  perhaps can't be adjusted, moving the ISO slider or the shutter speed slider above it should move that value (either up - towards the 0 or + side, or more negative - depending on what adjustments you made.

Hopefully I'm correct. I'm sure someone will pound on me if I'm not!  LOL
2018-2-7
Use props
Surface2Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 167441 ft
Canada

MrArtDept Posted at 2018-2-7 07:43
[view_image]

That is your 'Exposure' and is there for reference and can't be controlled directly. You would have to adjust the shutter speed and/or ISO sensitivity to get the Exposure correct (0). In the picture the (-5) means it's 'underexposed' and will result in a darker image then what the camera defines the scene should be in order to be properly exposed, a balance between darkness & brightness is (0). So in this case you would want to slow down your shutter speed (lower the number) and/or raise your ISO sensitivity (higher number) to find a balance where the Exposure number is (0) or as you prefer.. because in some cases a person may choose to underexpose or overexpose an image intentionally for 'artistic' reasons.

Keep in mind though - a low ISO is always preferred and results in a cleaner image, less noise - Used in bright environments. Raise this number to have the camera's sensor be more sensitive to light, but keep in mind the higher you go the more you'll deal with a 'depreciated' image. The first thing you would want to adjust is lower (or raise if the exposure reads +#) the shutter speed, so that light has more time to enter the camera and 'expose' the image more. Find a happy balance to get the exposure meter to (0) or intentionally over/under if that is what is wanted.  

One last thing to keep in mind when you shoot video (not photo's). The shutter speed should be double or a factor of itself relative to the framerate you are shooting in (24, 30, ..)
So if I'm shooting 4k at 24 fps (framerate-frames per second) I would want my shutter speed to ideally be  at 50 (1/50 of a second.) This will produce 'smoother' footage, it will look proper. Otherwise it will look weird. For 30 fps, a shutter speed of 30, 60, 90.
I don't have any examples off hand, but if you watch a bunch of Mavic footage on youtube and you keep an eye on the background of a shot, like mountains in the distance and you'll sometimes see 'juddering' where the video looks like it's skipping frames. Not smooooth.

I hope this helps!
And if someone can enlighten me as to why in the DJI Go camera settings Exposure is labled as M.M (something Metering?)

Edit:
I wanted to add & this doesn't apply to the Mavic, Air, etc. but lot's of camera's have a way to adjust the aperature too, the opening and closing size of the lense 'hole' (for lack of a better description) to let in more or less light. So in those cases you would find a balance between your Shutterspeed (speed of the opening), Aperature size (size of the opening) & ISO (Light sensitivity) to expose the image properly.

And sorry if I've drifted into territory that may already be of your knowledge, figured this would be helpful to some. And maybe I should have just started a new thread with this subject.

2018-2-7
Use props
escore
lvl.4
Flight distance : 775568 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Excellent tutorial!
2018-2-7
Use props
andym91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 113166 ft
United States

Pretty cool!
2018-2-7
Use props
MrArtDept
lvl.1

United States

Surface2Air Posted at 2018-2-7 09:59
That is your 'Exposure' and is there for reference and can't be controlled directly. You would have to adjust the shutter speed and/or ISO sensitivity to get the Exposure correct (0). In the picture the (-5) means it's 'underexposed' and will result in a darker image then what the camera defines the scene should be in order to be properly exposed, a balance between darkness & brightness is (0). So in this case you would want to slow down your shutter speed (lower the number) and/or raise your ISO sensitivity (higher number) to find a balance where the Exposure number is (0) or as you prefer.. because in some cases a person may choose to underexpose or overexpose an image intentionally for 'artistic' reasons.

Keep in mind though - a low ISO is always preferred and results in a cleaner image, less noise - Used in bright environments. Raise this number to have the camera's sensor be more sensitive to light, but keep in mind the higher you go the more you'll deal with a 'depreciated' image. The first thing you would want to adjust is lower (or raise if the exposure reads +#) the shutter speed, so that light has more time to enter the camera and 'expose' the image more. Find a happy balance to get the exposure meter to (0) or intentionally over/under if that is what is wanted.  

Really appreciate all the information and the time you took to explain it. Thank you so much!
2018-2-7
Use props
Desertcruiser
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5203159 ft
Switzerland

A good comparison! Thanks for your work.

Chris
2018-2-7
Use props
Gregs77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22451 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thx for the good info
2018-2-7
Use props
KindaichiShota
lvl.2

Bangladesh

nice tutorial.
Keep up the good work...
2018-2-8
Use props
Dexter.Zed
lvl.3

Philippines

amazing footage.
2018-2-8
Use props
zofiazoey
New

Pakistan

Google
2018-2-8
Use props
djiuser_xy6tc2h3Xuh8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 197123 ft
United States

[tr][/tr]
[tr][/tr]
I agree completely

2018-2-8
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

Hey do you have your best Mavic Pro settings as well for post processing? Thanks
2018-2-8
Use props
fansc33cff15
New
Flight distance : 78465 ft
Canada

Thank you berry much
2018-2-8
Use props
maggies
lvl.2

United States

Thank you for sharing it with us, it was indeed one of the best tutorials.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.

2018-2-8
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15869 ft
Switzerland

@Jos A
Nice video, thank you!

Are those settings just for the air or also for the pro? What settings would you recomend on the pro?

You mentioned to put back the exposure while protection the heighs. How do you do that? What program do you use for editing?

Thanks for the Lut too :-)
2018-2-8
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Netherlands

For pro I just verify with the maker. (Mavic Pro) I use Davinci Studio 14, but there is also a free version.

2018-2-9
Use props
Leftyguy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1282638 ft
United States

Great Info , Thanks
2018-2-9
Use props
fans2137a6e6
lvl.2
United States

Excellent instructional video. Big help for a newbee
2018-2-9
Use props
Alexurrutia20
lvl.1
United States

Jos A Posted at 2018-2-6 05:10
Suggested Camera Settings

Easy Workflow : Color - D-Cinelike / Style - 0, 0, -1

are these settings for video or photos?
2018-2-9
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Netherlands

Both, I use 2.7 K and 30fps, style 0,-2,-2 , d-log , camera manual, iso 100 shutter 60 and  Davici Resolve studio for edit and color correction.
I have also a NEAT noise reduction for Davinci if you like for filming like above settings @4k for Mavic Pro
2018-2-10
Use props
DJI Bryan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1637372 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great
2018-2-11
Use props
DJI Bryan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1637372 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hello Jos,

I have a different menu, so as show in you video ???

2018-2-11
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

As a still photographer making the jump to video this is a great help.  Thanks.
2018-2-11
Use props
Mr Smith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3621066 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing, great tips! I still see so may people out there who have had Dji drones for a decent amount of time, but have never bothered to mess with the gimbal speed/sensitivity settings or the camera settings. Every time, I just want to go over there and show them how easy it is to make their shots look better.

And I'm definitely gonna be looking into that Neat Video plugin, because to me, that was a huge difference! So much better
2018-2-13
Use props
fans8af70312
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2329 ft
United States

I loved this video, until your comment about the shorter distance you can fly from your house without losing transmission. I am assuming from your accent you are here in the US. If so, you shouldn't be flying farther than line-of-sight. Are you telling us that you lost transmission within line-of-sight???
2018-2-14
Use props
bernardb
lvl.1
United States

Where can I find the sharpness settings for the camera?
2018-2-19
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Netherlands

under style
2018-2-19
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

Nice video, thanks for taking the time, DJI is going to blow peoples minds going forward I am certain of this
2018-2-19
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

Nice video, thanks for taking the time, DJI is going to blow peoples minds going forward I am certain of this... like all products there is a release then tweaking stage of their products and next you watch DJI explode with incredible things
2018-2-19
Use props
Mr Ed
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the post
2018-2-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules