2672 14 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drshiwas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 892339 ft
Spain

Hello DJI,

In recent days i spotted some small amount of rust on some bolts on A/C and controller. Do i have to be worried about internals on drone or not? Im living in Canaries islands, so im close to the ocean, and nowdays we have strong rains and less sun, so it's much more humid than usual.

Thanks in advance.
2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would get this checked out - rust is not something to ignore, especially on 1.4kg drones...  
2018-2-6
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Gently wipe down the areas with a rust remover and soft cloth.
2018-2-6
Use props
Drshiwas
lvl.4
Spain

A CW Posted at 2018-2-6 06:23
I would get this checked out - rust is not something to ignore, especially on 1.4kg drones...

any suggestions how to check it out ?
2018-2-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drshiwas Posted at 2018-2-6 07:15
any suggestions how to check it out  ?

I can fly these things and know the app like the back of my hand but I'm no engineer - either someone more qualified can help you or I'd suggest returning it to DJI to look it. I personally wouldn't fly a drone with rust in the bolts - you don't want that thing falling apart at 40 odd MPH 400' up! And who's to say the rust hasn't spreaded intenally?!
2018-2-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Is this a deep-seated rust, or just a surface bloom which could be removed by gentle cleaning? Can you tell without dismantling the drone?
2018-2-6
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

The structure is plastic and aluminium/magnesium alloy, so as long as the steel screws are not so rusted that they don't hold the parts together then there wont be a problem.
If the screws are damp enough to rust then possibly the electronics inside are also damp enough to corrode, you should store it somewhere less humid.

I suggest putting a very small drop of bicycle oil on each screw, that will stop any further rust.  Don't use WD40, it contains solvents which may damage the plastic.
I also keep mine in it's polystyrene box with a couple of packets of silica gel which dry the aircraft out every time I put it away.  I occasionally recharge the silica gel in the microwave.
2018-2-6
Use props
Drshiwas
lvl.4
Spain

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-2-6 07:30
Is this a deep-seated rust, or just a surface bloom which could be removed by gentle cleaning? Can you tell without dismantling the drone?

i think it is only surface bloom, it's easily cleanable.because it appear only two-three days ago, im asking if it's possible to have internal problems in this short period of time.
2018-2-6
Use props
Drshiwas
lvl.4
Spain

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-2-6 07:58
The structure is plastic and aluminium/magnesium alloy, so as long as the steel screws are not so rusted that they don't hold the parts together then there wont be a problem.
If the screws are damp enough to rust then possibly the electronics inside are also damp enough to corrode, you should store it somewhere less humid.

thanks, i was thinking about silica gel as well, so i will put some inside my backpack, by the way, im using Manfrotto D1 backpack, i was thinking that is safe enough inside.
2018-2-6
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Unfortunately  our drones are slowly decaying from day one , Oxygen is the corrosive element and with the introduction of water and salts this will accelerate the rate of corrosion , we have all seen a piece of polished brass tarnish over time ? , inside your drone are pcb's and micro chips which are made up of  many different metals and alloys  and these too will corrode in time (normally years ) , even the gold connections will tarnish to a degree .
All you can do is slow the rate of corrosion by reducing exposure to water and salt etc but you won't be able to stop it altogether .
  What i would suggest is have a good look inside the battery pocket , check the terminals and any pcb's you can see , if corrosion is present it  will show as a white residue on the solder ( tin/lead ) and a pale green on brass and copper. also check inside the motors for corrosion on the shaft and windings .  if you find corrosion  you will have to evaluate it's severity and act accordingly , a small dusting can be removed with a brush and or low pressure air line. From my experience as an Engineer corrosion would have to be very obvious before the component failed  also the micro chips are sealed to a degree and would need to be
immersed in salt water for them to  fail .
2018-2-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

Drshiwas Posted at 2018-2-6 08:04
i think it is only surface bloom, it's easily cleanable.because it appear only two-three days ago, im asking if it's possible to have internal problems in this short period of time.

The salt content of coastal humidity is likely to be more corrosive, perhaps, than elsewhere. If you've stored the gear away damp that may account for the surface bloom.  The silica gel sac in the carrying case helps to keep things dry, but there are limits to its effectiveness as commented by another poster.
As to internal corrosion - there's only one way to find out.....
2018-2-6
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Never really thought much about the rubber gasketed connections in marine electronics until this thread.  Okay, the car's under the hood connectors as well.

Brother had a Moto Guzzi motorcycle with a lot of chrome when he lived at Vandenburg AFB on the coast of CA.  It turned into a pile of red rust in a year along with sundry electrical issues involving the switches.
2018-2-6
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2018-2-6 09:40
Never really thought much about the rubber gasketed connections in marine electronics until this thread.  Okay, the car's under the hood connectors as well.

Brother had a Moto Guzzi motorcycle with a lot of chrome when he lived at Vandenburg AFB on the coast of CA.  It turned into a pile of red rust in a year along with sundry electrical issues involving the switches.

It's and interesting subject ... another type of corrosion is Galvanic  more commonly known as dissimilar metal corrosion where two metals ( or alloys ) which have different electrode potentials  come into contact with an electrolyte , one metal acts as an anode and the other a cathode .  
2018-2-6
Use props
Drshiwas
lvl.4
Spain

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-2-6 08:45
Unfortunately  our drones are slowly decaying from day one , Oxygen is the corrosive element and with the introduction of water and salts this will accelerate the rate of corrosion , we have all seen a piece of polished brass tarnish over time ? , inside your drone are pcb's and micro chips which are made up of  many different metals and alloys  and these too will corrode in time (normally years ) , even the gold connections will tarnish to a degree .
All you can do is slow the rate of corrosion by reducing exposure to water and salt etc but you won't be able to stop it altogether .
  What i would suggest is have a good look inside the battery pocket , check the terminals and any pcb's you can see , if corrosion is present it  will show as a white residue on the solder ( tin/lead ) and a pale green on brass and copper. also check inside the motors for corrosion on the shaft and windings .  if you find corrosion  you will have to evaluate it's severity and act accordingly , a small dusting can be removed with a brush and or low pressure air line. From my experience as an Engineer corrosion would have to be very obvious before the component failed  also the micro chips are sealed to a degree and would need to be

Thanks for detailed answer.I'm working in aircraft maintenance but its bit different as far as A/C have much better protection against corrosion that is why i was concern about my phantom i understand perfectly that nothing is time proof. And yes there are corrosion only on surface of bolts and nowhere else. So now im calm
2018-2-6
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Good stuff ,  i need to get out more ! lol  fly safe
2018-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules