3221 7 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mrbill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,
   I have a job flying in a Scottish Estate, part of which falls under the military Highlands Restricted Area, flying on a saturday. I understand that military flights are not conducted over weekends, and I'll be checking notams etc. My question is, the job is liable to be at very short notice - will there be any DJI geo-fencing I'll have to unlock before being able to fly
in this area? Any advice much appreciated.

Bill
2018-2-6
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They even publish the times https://www.gov.uk/government/pu ... -training-timetable

And as per DJIs Fly Safe using all latest firmware and App's it is marked as an 'Enhanced Warning Zone', which means you have to tick a box in DJI Go 4 App' saying that you take full responsibility for your flight. Which under the Drone code you do anyway. The 'Drone Assist' App from the CAA drone code site is a good tool to have as well. It gives specific local information regarding low level hazards etc.

My experiences flying up in Sutherland area have been good, with no unlocking required.

Which estate are you heading too ?
2018-2-6
Use props
mrbill
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-6 07:00
They even publish the times https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/operational-low-flying-training-timetable

And as per DJIs Fly Safe using all latest firmware and App's it is marked as an 'Enhanced Warning Zone', which means you have to tick a box in DJI Go 4 App' saying that you take full responsibility for your flight. Which under the Drone code you do anyway. The 'Drone Assist' App from the CAA drone code site is a good tool to have as well. It gives specific local information regarding low level hazards etc.

Yes, I checked out the timetable already, although another user (in another forum) described a saturday encounter with a low flying hercules, so I thought it best to ask around! Is there an ATC unit you contact out of courtesy? I'll be quite close to Spean Bridge - first gig with shiny new PfCO..
2018-2-6
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mrbill Posted at 2018-2-6 07:06
Yes, I checked out the timetable already, although another user (in another forum) described a saturday encounter with a low flying hercules, so I thought it best to ask around! Is there an ATC unit you contact out of courtesy? I'll be quite close to Spean Bridge - first gig with shiny new PfCO..

If it's commercial work you're doing then you would need the permissions from CAA etc.

https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro/info#downloads

I only fly as a hobby so don't have the same requirements as you would have. Presumably the PfCO is your permission ?

As a recreational flyer there is no requirement for me to contact ATC so I have never done so.
2018-2-6
Use props
mrbill
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yes, the PfCO is my permissions from the CAA, but I'm advised by my NQE that there are no permissions required from them for the HRA - already have estate permissions in place for take off, so all good.
My main worry was the geo-fencing, but that seems to be aok. Thanks for your input, appreciated.
2018-2-6
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

mrbill Posted at 2018-2-6 07:06

There is no ATC as such for the low flying areas, they are class G, but you can call the enquiry line which should be listed on the timetable and they will tell you if they are actually flying and in what areas.  You can also call to request they don't fly in a certain area even if they are timetabled to be using the low fly area and they may agree.

The Hercules was almost certainly using normal flight regulations along with any civilian aircraft using the area on a non-timetabled day, not the low fly regulations, so would have been above 400ft.  A Hercules at 500ft looks very low since you always misjudge the size of the thing!

As said, I would expect to just tick the two tick boxes before take-off, no need for prior approval or an internet connection.
2018-2-6
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mrbill Posted at 2018-2-6 07:38
Yes, the PfCO is my permissions from the CAA, but I'm advised by my NQE that there are no permissions required from them for the HRA - already have estate permissions in place for take off, so all good.
My main worry was the geo-fencing, but that seems to be aok. Thanks for your input, appreciated.

Have fun, good luck for the first job:-)

Just make sure your DJI Go 4 App' is logged into your account and that you've not inadvertently logged out again, otherwise the 30m altitude & 50m radius restriction would be limiting.
2018-2-6
Use props
mrbill
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-6 07:46
Have fun, good luck for the first job:-)

Just make sure your DJI Go 4 App' is logged into your account and that you've not inadvertently logged out again, otherwise the 30m altitude & 50m radius restriction would be limiting.

Yes, I've upgraded my aircraft from a p3p to a p4p with Marionville Models - we're having a little set up session next week. It's for broadcast so had to bump up the video bitrate. Very exciting but must stop spending money..
2018-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules