Drone are cool, Finding a place to fly them is not.
3749 33 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70745 ft
Australia

From an Australian perspective is very hard to find a place with our restrictive rules to find a place to fly our drones.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology ... 0180206-p4yzjz.html
2018-2-6
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

In your huge country with that much uninhabited space? Hard to believe for me...
2018-2-6
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

avoid people and fly where you wont get caught (ie no people around) - good luck
2018-2-6
Use props
fans63eb6c3c
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

100% agree with you, I live at Goldcoast, unless one drive far away from city, there’s no place to fly.
2018-2-6
Use props
fans63eb6c3c
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

100% agree with you, I live at Goldcoast, unless one drive far away from city, there’s no place to fly.
2018-2-6
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Australia

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-6 15:25
In your huge country with that much uninhabited space? Hard to believe for me...

You forget that the distance between places is quite long here. With nothing much between, and often limited or no roads to get to places. Our country is like the size of North America but with only 21 million people .
2018-2-6
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Australia

fans63eb6c3c Posted at 2018-2-6 15:40
100% agree with you, I live at Goldcoast, unless one drive far away from city, there’s no place to fly.

Yeah I've found the closest place on the GC is like at the spit ? Even then the constant helicopters makes it a challenge to keep vertical separation.
2018-2-6
Use props
Outie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266926 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with you. Even here in the US, there are so many restrictions. I live in California and there are drone rules down to city level. It’s a pain to find out where you can fly 100% legally.
2018-2-6
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Similar problem here, only different. I live in rural Alabama on top of a mountain.  There's not much to see except the tops of trees, thousands and thousands of trees. Everywhere there's not trees there are pastures full of cows. Cows and tree tops, not very interesting. So, I drive a little and find something cool to take photos of.
2018-2-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Dear. Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.
Some restrictive areas are set up to protect local wildlife and some are set up to avoid sensitive areas. If you need any help with unlocking restrictive areas, you can contact our relevant department by sending Email to flysafe@dji.com.
Thanks for your support and understanding.
2018-2-6
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-6 15:25

I'm in Canada often and I'm having a hard time finding a place that is appropriate to fly in. Yes it is a big country but I cannot drive for an hour each time I want to fly my drone.  I am surrounded by rural areas.
2018-2-6
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Australia

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-2-6 20:01
Some restrictive areas are set up to protect local wildlife and some are set up to avoid sensitive areas. If you need any help with unlocking restrictive areas, you can contact our relevant department by sending Email to .

Thanks DJI Paladin,

Not my article, more just a conversation starter about regulations.
2018-2-6
Use props
fans63eb6c3c
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

nottuppaware Posted at 2018-2-6 16:02
Yeah I've found the closest place on the GC is like at the spit ? Even then the constant helicopters makes it a challenge to keep vertical separation.

The only place I can fly is at the park.What a pity,, spent thousands of dollars to fly and take pictures
of a park!!!
2018-2-7
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Australia

fans63eb6c3c Posted at 2018-2-7 15:46
The only place I can fly is at the park.What a pity,, spent thousands of dollars to fly and take pictures
of a park!!!

I do fly over the river a lot. Haha
2018-2-7
Use props
fans63eb6c3c
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

nottuppaware Posted at 2018-2-6 21:02
Thanks DJI Paladin,

Not my article, more just a conversation starter about regulations.

I just returned from Lady Elliot Island. I was hoping I can fly and take pictures of this magnificent island.But before I left, I checked and found that it is a restricted flying zone..because there is an airstrip with small planes flying in and out all the time.So I had to unpack the bird from the luggage.
Unfortunately when I arrived, and one afternoon, I noticed a man flying Mavic pro at the lighthouse side..,what a shame.He could have cause plane crash and lost lots of lives.
2018-2-7
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Australia

fans63eb6c3c Posted at 2018-2-7 15:56
I just returned from Lady Elliot Island. I was hoping I can fly and take pictures of this magnificent island.But before I left, I checked and found that it is a restricted flying zone..because there is an airstrip with small planes flying in and out all the time.So I had to unpack the bird from the luggage.
Unfortunately when I arrived, and one afternoon, I noticed a man flying Mavic pro at the lighthouse side..,what a shame.He could have cause plane crash and lost lots of lives.

Ohh do you have Can I fly there app ?

You could of flown there, its a non-controlled airport so just like flying near helipads - see and avoid. If you see a manned craft you bring down your drone.
2018-2-7
Use props
fans63eb6c3c
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

nottuppaware Posted at 2018-2-7 16:03
Ohh do you have Can I fly there app ?

You could of flown there, its a non-controlled airport so just like flying near helipads - see and avoid. If you see a manned craft you bring down your drone.

What a pity, it’s expensive to go there, hope I can have chance to go there again.
Thanks for telling me..I don’t hv Can I Fly app, .
2018-2-7
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

Yep, drone regulations are getting stricter and pretty soon we won't be able to  fly pretty much anywhere. Ps. I live in Brisbane and I usually fly at Fingal Heads quite often.
2018-2-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

nottuppaware Posted at 2018-2-6 16:01
You forget that the distance between places is quite long here. With nothing much between, and often limited or no roads to get to places. Our country is like the size of North America but with only 21 million people .

Actually it's very far from that. Both United-States and Canada are bigger than Australia. Australia is not that big compared to North-America.
2018-2-7
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Australia

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-2-7 17:05
Actually it's very far from that. Both United-States and Canada are bigger than Australia. Australia is not that big compared to North-America.

You are somewhat right,

Again remember population is only on the coast, 21m -v- 320m people. Is the point I'm getting at.
2018-2-7
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Canada

nottuppaware Posted at 2018-2-7 18:23
You are somewhat right, [view_image]

Again remember population is only on the coast, 21m -v- 320m people. Is the point I'm getting at.

Measuring country sizes like that is really inaccurate

Australia = 7 692 060 km²

Canada = 9 984 670 km²

United-States =  9 833 517 km²

I get what you mean though.
2018-2-7
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Australia

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-2-7 18:45
Measuring country sizes like that is really inaccurate

Australia = 7 692 060 km²

Canada doesn't count right ? :-P
2018-2-7
Use props
Hexacopter
lvl.4

Australia

If you ever visit the NSW-Vic border area it's not much better (Albury airport, hospital helipads, military base NFZ's)  but just 15 min out of town, plenty of places to fly safely although I found that one has to be on the lookout at Lake Hume during the bushfire season as the waterbombers come in at 0.0 ft to scoop up the lake water. Only warning is the dummy low altitude run to clear the boats away. Time to land immediately as they do not come up as an NFZ warning so keep your eyes and ears open.

Same thing with cropdusters, they fly down on the deck and do not appear on the NFZ map, Until CASA can give real time updates it is safer to visit local farmers and let them know what you are up to....... even picked up a few customers for the heavy lifter hexacopter with the multi spectral camera setup.
Yep, it does use dji flight (A2) controller technology but the old girl is pretty solid after 3 hard years of bush bashing . Btw, got my CASA ticket and insurance

Also I believe it's not a good idea to fly on a Total Fire Ban day as apart from low level air assets  a bad crash with a resultant LiPo fire could be catastrophic.

* hex *
2018-2-7
Use props
AussieFlyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 165213 ft
Australia

Hi nottuppaware
Have to agree with you, I'm on the Mornington Peninsula in Victoria and nearly all of it is restricted. It's either a National Park (no fly zone) or the real coastal fringe is controlled by Parks Victoria, also a no fly zone.

All National Parks are NFZ's in Victoria, but I can take my dirt bike or 4WD drive in them and rip up the bush. I can't take a firearm or my dog either. Can't really see what problem flying a drone over the top of it can be. I get that disturbing nesting wildlife may be an issue. If so, why not ban drone's during Spring or breeding season?
I understand othe states have similar restrictions, South Australia is also very much a no fly zone.

2018-2-8
Use props
Syncro89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 432782 ft
Finland

You should visit in Finland, we have here quite open sky to fly drone's
2018-2-8
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Australia

Syncro89 Posted at 2018-2-8 05:03
You should visit in Finland, we have here quite open sky to fly drone's

I'm planning to later this year!
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Considering Australia has one of the lowest population densities in the world with just 3 people per square KM compared to the UK’s 271 people per km2 it’s quite amazing how difficult it is for you to find the space to fly but I guess being a coastal country means 2-3 hours drives to the middle of nowhere to get the space to fly away from people and airports.  One of my favourite flight locations here is a 10 minute drive from my house and I live in London with 9m people in just this city.  
2018-2-8
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-2-8 16:23
Considering Australia has one of the lowest population densities in the world with just 3 people per square KM compared to the UK’s 271 people per km2 it’s quite amazing how difficult it is for you to find the space to fly but I guess being a coastal country means 2-3 hours drives to the middle of nowhere to get the space to fly away from people and airports.  One of my favourite flight locations here is a 10 minute drive from my house and I live in London with 9m people in just this city.

Not the matter of finding places to fly. Its just that the interesting stuff is where population is, or its restricted national park or reserve land.
2018-2-11
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I bought an Osmo Mobile.  Now when I find places that don't allow drones, I just break out the Osmo.  Sometimes I'll post an Osmo video on this Mavic site since lots of folks here know me, but other times I post  only on the Osmo page and on Facebook.  Anyway, it's a good fall back when you're in a beautiful place and can't fly your Mavic.
2018-2-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-2-6 20:01
Some restrictive areas are set up to protect local wildlife and some are set up to avoid sensitive areas. If you need any help with unlocking restrictive areas, you can contact our relevant department by sending Email to .

No need to apologize.  

The restrictions are being set by various government agencies.  Some with best interest of public in mind, such as around Airports and Hospital Helipads.  While other restrictions are being set by what is in best interest of particular government agency, which does not mean interest of public.

Of concern is new Parcel restriction zone.  Which could quickly expand in number and size of area covered, under the best interest of business dollars.  

Wonder if we could lobby for Drone Fly zone, whereby everybody has to stay out?  
2018-2-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nottuppaware Posted at 2018-2-11 20:26
Not the matter of finding places to fly. Its just that the interesting stuff is where population is, or its restricted national park or reserve land.

I get that - there are only so many farmers fields you can video until they all merge into one LOL. Thats why I like the MPP - because it's very quiet
2018-2-11
Use props
nottuppaware
lvl.4
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-2-11 23:39
I get that - there are only so many farmers fields you can video until they all merge into one LOL. Thats why I like the MPP - because it's very quiet

I have to admit I can only do so many photos of the coast line.
2018-2-12
Use props
Amie Louise Green
New

Australia

fans63eb6c3c Posted at 2018-2-7 15:56
Unfortunately when I arrived, and one afternoon, I noticed a man flying Mavic pro at the lighthouse side..,what a shame.He could have cause plane crash and lost lots of lives.

I’m a regular on the island. If you wish to fly your drone on LEI you must first gain permission, being only allowed to fly your drone in safe time spaces. The island manager knows when planes are coming and going, there is never a plane arriving without knowing. There for seaming it safe to fly passengers in and out and safe to fly your drone. A drone will only fly on the lighthouse side of the island in a small area. The island manager will give you a time in which you can fly your drone and you must adhere to that
2020-11-1
Use props
itsdavesdrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6763835 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You are right. And it is only getting worse. There's registration coming next year for drones here in Australia.
2020-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules