Questions anwered from DJI at NAB!
1496 15 2015-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chase.contrastf
lvl.1

United States

Hey guys,

First time posting a topic here. I wanted to mention a conversation I had with one of the DJI camera engineers at NAB this month. I don't know if this has been officially anounced or spoken of yet. Sorry if I missed it. Anyways...

I really only had one question for him. Are you guys going to fix the sharpness issue with the camera? His response was an absolute yes. They are aware and see the problem. He also went on to tell me that they are going to be releasing a more flat LOG priofile for the camera and stronger ND's for it! His wording made me believe it would be soon. Just wanted to share this!

2015-4-28
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

if you are looking for a stronger ND filter you can see that Rennat is selling ND filters foe the inspire 1
2015-4-28
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

joekeantang@gma Posted at 2015-4-29 12:31
if you are looking for a stronger ND filter you can see that Rennat is selling ND filters foe the in ...

Many of us ordered them and they should arrive soon.   

There will be a lot of info posted on them very soon I suspect!  
2015-4-28
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-29 13:42

There will be a lot of info posted on the ...

Please let us know how you get on with the new filters Jim.
2015-4-29
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

Jim are you on that first order? i know he will be shipping the first 150 orders of filters. I feel like i should just order it and hope that its a great product. Also did you order the additional filter ND64? I have been following you, You do an amazing job with your videos you seem to know your stuff. I love shooting but lack on the technical part of it.  Is there a way to get a hold of you besides this forum? i wanted to share some of the stuff that i have shot and hopefully hear  some positive criticism so that i can do a better Job on when it comes to shooting with my inspire 1.
2015-4-29
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Unfortunately I found out about them too late and although I immediately put in an order, I've been told that I'm in the second batch, to be shipped closer to the end of May.  So I will be drooling at the footage the early adopters post, and "patiently" waiting for mine to arrive.  
2015-4-29
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

I really only had one question for him. Are you guys going to fix the sharpness issue with the camera? His response was an absolute yes.

When you refer to the "sharpness" issue, what were the two of you talking about?  The BIG issue is the VERY highly compressed H.264 file, which takes perfectly good looking camera footage and compresses the hell out of it.  For the most part it doesn't read as a loss of sharpness so much as the addition of compression artifacts which pulse between keyframes as the data decays.  If THAT fix is getting a definite "yes," I'd love to hear what else he said about it.  How are they planning to address it?
2015-4-29
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

joekeantang@gma Posted at 2015-4-30 02:12
Jim are you on that first order? i know he will be shipping the first 150 orders of filters. I fee ...

Hi Joe,

I'm guessing I'm part of the first shipment, the info I received back was talking about shipment at the end of April and haven't heard anything different.

I just ordered the standard set to start with.  I think having twice and three times the ND strength will be enough for me.

I'll let you know how I go.

You can contact me offline through my website, www.harebrained.com.au
2015-4-29
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-30 02:32
When you refer to the "sharpness" issue, what were the two of you talking about?  The BIG issue is  ...

The sharpness issue has always been a lack of fine tuning in the setting.  0 is too strong and -1 is too soft.   

Some have said the latest firmware changed this but I haven't tested it myself.

The compression is a whole other issue.   Would be great to have much less compression across the board as the artifacts can be crippling.  
2015-4-29
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Jim

I received my email and DHL document and the price is 69 bucks for the set of three.  Am I correct?
He said it would ship in May

Rich
2015-4-29
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-30 06:12
Hi Joe,

I'm guessing I'm part of the first shipment, the info I received back was talking about s ...

So now that you will have your filters you think that you will be able to get better footage quality?
2015-4-29
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-30 06:15
The sharpness issue has always been a lack of fine tuning in the setting.  0 is too strong and -1  ...

Ah - okay, different issue.  Of course this isn't really sharpness, which is strictly a product of lens quality - it's edge enhancement.  Effectively, it's a real-time unsharp mask effect.  Personally I'd rather not have that baked into the image since it can ALWAYS be added in post if desired, but not removed once added.  So -1 is fine, because then if desired, a tiny amount of sharpening can be added in post, and I have control over how much (if any).

To me the MUCH bigger problem is the overcompression, because there's absolutely no way to fix that in post.
2015-4-29
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

joekeantang@gma Posted at 2015-4-30 08:19
So now that you will have your filters you think that you will be able to get better footage quali ...

Should certainly be able to get the shutter speed down to where it should be.   As for better footage probably not unless you were having a problem with jello.

Just received my tracking number so won't be long now!
2015-4-29
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-30 10:02
Ah - okay, different issue.  Of course this isn't really sharpness, which is strictly a product of  ...

Yes, just under the app control as "Sharpness" so easiest to refer to it that way.

What would be good is a checkbox to turn it on or off.   I would much prefer to just shoot what the lens sees and do the rest in post.  Problem is no one can say what setting that would be.   Probably like -.4 or something you can't even dial in.
2015-4-29
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-4-30 11:13
Yes, just under the app control as "Sharpness" so easiest to refer to it that way.

What would be g ...

Yes - agreed.  And as you no doubt know, I wasn't making the distinction for your benefit (I know YOU know this stuff), but I'm aware that we have a lot of readers who are learning about these things for the first time.  So when I explain that positive "sharpness" values are actually degrading the image to create the illusion of sharpness - what broadcast cameras generally refer to as the "DTL" or "Detail" setting - it's to help these other readers.  And the important point I always make is that you can always add it in post, but because of the way it works, you can't remove it once added.  So it's always better to use none or "too little" rather than too much.
2015-4-30
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-30 21:00
Yes - agreed.  And as you no doubt know, I wasn't making the distinction for your benefit (I know  ...

Good point Pete!   
2015-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules