External Audio
25012 36 2018-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
prescottvideo
lvl.1

United States

Does anyone know what the options are to attach a mic like a Rode Videomicro? Looks like the Osmo Mobile 2 does not use the same mount as the Osmo Mobile.
2018-2-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, there is no port in Osmo Mobile 2 to insert external mic, so is the Omso Mobile, the port in the grip is used to charge instead of attaching mic.
2018-2-7
Use props
Mikeauknz
New
New Zealand

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-2-7 00:41
Hi there, there is no port in Osmo Mobile 2 to insert external mic, so is the Omso Mobile, the port in the grip is used to charge instead of attaching mic.

80 % of any Video is Good Audio -- Yes this is a critical and fatal DJI design flaw as I too have this same MIc External problem -- We have a Samsung G8 Note which has very poor audio recording in the open with the gain pumping up and the Omso 2 does not have even a plug space to insert the audio cable either into the camera directly or on the Omso it self and we need to URGENTLY plug into the Samsung a Robe mic with a standard 3.5mm socket that simply does not fit with the Omso where the phone holder backs up.
2018-2-11
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

In most cases you are better off recording on an external recorder anyway.
2018-2-11
Use props
prescottvideo
lvl.1

United States

Mikeauknz Posted at 2018-2-11 15:35
80 % of any Video is Good Audio -- Yes this is a critical and fatal DJI design flaw as I too have this same MIc External problem -- We have a Samsung G8 Note which has very poor audio recording in the open with the gain pumping up and the Omso 2 does not have even a plug space to insert the audio cable either into the camera directly or on the Omso it self and we need to URGENTLY plug into the Samsung a Robe mic with a standard 3.5mm socket that simply does not fit with the Omso where the phone holder backs up.

I prefer to record straight to the phone and avoid syncing audio later. I've ordered this bracket based on some Smooth Q set ups I checked out on YouTube. Should solve the issue. Bracket arrives tomorrow!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2018-2-11
Use props
djiuser_9ecpbcTy4u4M
lvl.2
Hong Kong

I have the same concern.
I love using OM2 + tripod + Samsung Note 8 as selfie recording, where I must keep myself at least 3-4 feet away.
In order for Note 8 to get clear audio recording in 3-4feet away, i must yell to the phone.

Could DJI go be modified so that when an external bluetooth microphone is attached to phone,
DJI go be smart enough to channel automatically the audio captured from BT microphone as video clip's audio?
2018-2-14
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Here are some external mics that work with the Osmo and are considered compatible:

Microphones (Confirmed)        Sennheiser MKE400
Sony ECM DS70P
Rode VideoMic Pro
Rode VideoMicro
Mymyk Smartmyk
DED DV-889
2018-2-14
Use props
prescottvideo
lvl.1

United States

prescottvideo Posted at 2018-2-11 17:18
I prefer to record straight to the phone and avoid syncing audio later. I've ordered this bracket based on some Smooth Q set ups I checked out on YouTube. Should solve the issue. Bracket arrives tomorrow!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UNAK0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Update: Bracket and Rode Video Micro work great together!
2018-2-14
Use props
prescottvideo
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_9ecpbcTy4u4M Posted at 2018-2-14 11:32
I have the same concern.
I love using OM2 + tripod + Samsung Note 8 as selfie recording, where I must keep myself at least 3-4 feet away.
In order for Note 8 to get clear audio recording in 3-4feet away, i must yell to the phone.

You could use the Rode Video Micro or a SmartLav. See my post about the L-Bracket and Video Micro. They work great together.
2018-2-14
Use props
djiuser_9ecpbcTy4u4M
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DJI-Mark Posted at 2018-2-14 12:46
Here are some external mics that work with the Osmo and are considered compatible:

ty Mark.

But I wonder if a long phone like Note 8 can be balanced in landscape mode, as the external mic does create extrusion in bottom of the phone?

Is the balancing with ext mic on long phone tested ?

(N.B. I can totally forgo OM2 and use a clamp that came with the tripod, but doing so, there'd be no action tracking, which is absolutely essential in my case)
2018-2-15
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

djiuser_9ecpbcTy4u4M Posted at 2018-2-15 09:18
ty Mark.

But I wonder if a long phone like Note 8 can be balanced in landscape mode, as the external mic does create extrusion in bottom of the phone?

You do not need an external mic when balancing your mobile device. if you have a long mobile phone such as the Note 8, try taking the mobile device out of its case before balancing in the Osmo Mobile 2.
2018-2-15
Use props
djiuser_9ecpbcTy4u4M
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DJI-Mark Posted at 2018-2-15 09:31
You do not need an external mic when balancing your mobile device. if you have a long mobile phone such as the Note 8, try taking the mobile device out of its case before balancing in the Osmo Mobile 2.

hi mark. Do u mean, after balancing the phone, take-out the phone, plug-in ext-mic and remount to gimbal?
I am already testing it, and without any phonecase.

My concern is, I already slided the horizontal slide-knob-thingy to its MOST RIGHT
The mount after-ext-mic plug, is ~12mm-15mm more left than without ext mic.
When I carry the mounted gimbal, I feel the whole thing has a net torque toward LEFT.
(centre of gravity left shifted, off handle)
Would it create stress for motors to do all their jobs?
2018-2-15
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

djiuser_9ecpbcTy4u4M Posted at 2018-2-15 10:46
hi mark. Do u mean, after balancing the phone, take-out the phone, plug-in ext-mic and remount to gimbal?
I am already testing it, and without any phonecase.

Just make sure to update the firmware. Calibrate the Osmo. You can always calibrate it as well with the mic in.
2018-2-15
Use props
djiuser_9ecpbcTy4u4M
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Anyone succeed in getting an ext mic hooked up to OM2?
Could you share how you do it? Many many thanks =)
2018-2-18
Use props
prescottvideo
lvl.1

United States

djiuser_9ecpbcTy4u4M Posted at 2018-2-18 23:00
Anyone succeed in getting an ext mic hooked up to OM2?
Could you share how you do it? Many many thanks =)

Check out my post above with a link to a $10 L-Bracket on Amazon. Works great with a Rode Video Micro. You screw the bracket into the bottom of your Osmo 2, then attach the mic to the top cold shoe mount & plug the mic into your phone.
2018-2-19
Use props
dewarner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 87536 ft
United States

prescottvideo Posted at 2018-2-19 08:47
Check out my post above with a link to a $10 L-Bracket on Amazon. Works great with a Rode Video Micro. You screw the bracket into the bottom of your Osmo 2, then attach the mic to the top cold shoe mount & plug the mic into your phone.

The bracket looks great for holding the mic, but how do you plug the mic into your phone if its in landscape mode so that it will balance in the Osmo Mobile 2?
2018-2-19
Use props
Chazila
New
United States

dewarner Posted at 2018-2-19 10:53
The bracket looks great for holding the mic, but how do you plug the mic into your phone if its in landscape mode so that it will balance in the Osmo Mobile 2?

I have the same question. Maybe a 90degree cable would shorten the distance from the end of the phone to the U holder on the gimbal.

Also wondering if anyone has found an adapter for an iPhone that would allow you to run an external mic and a power cable at the same time. I checked out a bunch of lightning + 3.5m to lightning and 2x lightning female to lightning adapters, but these most seem to do audio out only for headphones. They are supposed to be a listen to music while you charge solution. Some say they are able to make phone calls using the Apple headphones, so a mic might work. Just wanted to see if anyone else has had any luck before I drop $40 on an adapter.

Thanks
2018-5-10
Use props
Marko-F
lvl.1
Netherlands

I'm quite disappointed with the lack of possibilities to add external mics without turning the Osmo Mobile 2 into a circus with all kinds of brackets and constructions. It kinda goes against the freedom the Osmo offers while filming. I have a Rode VideoMe and plugging is quite difficult, as my jack entrance is on the right site, obscured by the Osmo. I found a 4-pin hooked connector on the Internet (That was quite a search search!. I hope I can put the mic on top, plugged into the connector. I still have to find a way to make sure it's a sturdy solution (and the mic not falling forward of backward).

Question to the administrations: If my solution doesn't work, Is there a clip of mount available to have a small and light mic on the right site of the phone?
2018-6-8
Use props
p.pan
New

Namibia

Marko-F Posted at 2018-6-8 06:44
I'm quite disappointed with the lack of possibilities to add external mics without turning the Osmo Mobile 2 into a circus with all kinds of brackets and constructions. It kinda goes against the freedom the Osmo offers while filming. I have a Rode VideoMe and plugging is quite difficult, as my jack entrance is on the right site, obscured by the Osmo. I found a 4-pin hooked connector on the Internet (That was quite a search search!. I hope I can put the mic on top, plugged into the connector. I still have to find a way to make sure it's a sturdy solution (and the mic not falling forward of backward).

Question to the administrations: If my solution doesn't work, Is there a clip of mount available to have a small and light mic on the right site of the phone?

Hi,

I am very interessted by the Osmo mobile 2 but I need some answer.
1. Can we connect via the usb port on the osmo an Audio interface like the Focusrite Solo??
She will be recognise on the cellphone via bluetooth??
2. Can we record a stereo track?? meaning two mono track independent??

I know it will be a latency...
But someone try it??

Let me know.
Thanks in advance.
2018-6-15
Use props
JQ907
lvl.1
United States

p.pan Posted at 2018-6-15 01:34
Hi,

The USB port is only used for charging your phone or another device. It has no audio functions. Also, you can't use the Osmo Mobile 2 while charging your phone.
2018-6-15
Use props
Marko-F
lvl.1
Netherlands

I got this small connector and it's working BUT, of course, the mic is falling over. So now I'm looking for a clip that keeps the hooked connector in place. Anyone?

(Pffff... OSMO Moblie 2 feels so much like a  very bad buy...)
2018-6-17
Use props
Nallak
New
United States

I use the Rode Video Mic Me and a counterweight for the Mobile 2 from Moondog Labs for my Note 8. Works well!
2018-6-20
Use props
Nallak
New
United States

I use the Rode Video Mic Me and a counterweight for the Mobile 2 from Moondog Labs for my Note 8. Works well!
2018-6-20
Use props
Marko-F
lvl.1
Netherlands

Can you post a picture of you setup? I'm trying to balance it with VideoMe Mic, but it's quite a challenge (mainly falling forward).
2018-6-23
Use props
Marko-F
lvl.1
Netherlands

Nallak Posted at 2018-6-20 14:08

Ahh.. You've got the jack on the left side! Mine is on the right. So your solution doesn't work with me. Im now experimenting with some magnets and tape...
2018-6-26
Use props
GioMattarollo
lvl.2
Mexico

I have an idea, it might work, I haven't tried (no money)

Buy this:
· Lighting spliter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07857 ... ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
· Ring for other gimbals (might work for OM2): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DGW ... ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
· L bracket that attaches on the bottom of the OM2 and can hold a external mic: https://www.amazon.com/PERGEAR-M ... 4K56GSCA9Q5C2HQ60HE

Also, theres a youtube video (its 1 hour long :/ but great) in the minute 19:55 is were this guy start talking about this solution:

If you try it, Will you let me know? I really would like to try as well
2018-6-26
Use props
GioMattarollo
lvl.2
Mexico

JQ907 Posted at 2018-6-15 09:02
The USB port is only used for charging your phone or another device. It has no audio functions. Also, you can't use the Osmo Mobile 2 while charging your phone.

maybe if using his product you can charge a iPhone while using the gimbal: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07857 ... ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
2018-6-26
Use props
GioMattarollo
lvl.2
Mexico

p.pan Posted at 2018-6-15 01:34
Hi,

Maybe using this product (if you have an iPhone):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07857 ... ef_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Then, with the lighting dongle to mic jack, you can connect it to a external mic, or in your case, to this Focusrite Solo (but that thing looks huge, I think you want to use this Focusrite for a stand-non-mobile set-up).
2018-6-26
Use props
fans364fbf5e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 549541 ft
Singapore

prescottvideo Posted at 2018-2-11 17:18
I prefer to record straight to the phone and avoid syncing audio later. I've ordered this bracket based on some Smooth Q set ups I checked out on YouTube. Should solve the issue. Bracket arrives tomorrow!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UNAK0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why didn't you just go with the Rode VideoMic Me?  Seems it would clear the Mobile 2 arms.
2018-6-28
Use props
Phil Foulkes
New

United Kingdom

fans364fbf5e Posted at 6-28 06:17
Why didn't you just go with the Rode VideoMic Me?  Seems it would clear the Mobile 2 arms.

I have that bracket too. I clip my shotgun mic to it and my tascam DR-05 if I need to.

My biggest beef is that the DJI App will not let you select the external mic. If i don't want to use the Tascam to record audio i use an audio recorder app usbc to usbc 90 degree adapter and plug the mic into the usbc to trrs converted that came with the phone. I am using a Huawai p20. I also have a Hauwai Y6 and i can use the headphone hack for that.

Mounting the mic off the phone makes balancing easier and uses less power from the battery.  I have some other accessories arriving over the weekend I'll let you know how i get on.
2018-11-30
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well, it's not the most "professional" setup but it is functional. I just stuck some heavy duty velcro on the Rode Videomic ME-L clip and the top of the phone mount and I use a 1ft Lightning extension that I picked up on Amazon. Works good enough!

2018-12-4
Use props
rickelal
lvl.2
Canada

prescottvideo Posted at 2018-2-14 19:35
You could use the Rode Video Micro or a SmartLav. See my post about the L-Bracket and Video Micro. They work great together.

How did you plug in the rode video micro? There is no room to attach a cable to the phone , it backs up the entire way and if I try to push it ahead it won’t balance, I have iPhone X’s max?
2019-1-6
Use props
prescottvideo
lvl.1

United States

rickelal Posted at 1-6 01:37
How did you plug in the rode video micro? There is no room to attach a cable to the phone , it backs up the entire way and if I try to push it ahead it won’t balance, I have iPhone X’s max?

I use an iPhone 6s, so I don't have that issue...I think you might need some counterweight. Moment sells a fancy counterweight. Our you could just tape some quarters to the arm of the Osmo...
2019-1-7
Use props
prescottvideo
lvl.1

United States

fans364fbf5e Posted at 2018-6-28 06:17

I already owned the micro.
2019-1-7
Use props
Jim Shangjin Gong
New

Canada

Recommend BOYA BY-MM1 microphone. Its the best choice for osmo 2.
2019-3-20
Use props
fansbaa7e556
New

Hungary

Dear DJI!

The Iphone XR is capable of stereo sound for 4K 60 FPS recording, but the dji program does not. Please enable these features!

Mark
2019-3-31
Use props
GioMattarollo
lvl.2
Mexico

Marko-F Posted at 2018-6-8 06:44
I'm quite disappointed with the lack of possibilities to add external mics without turning the Osmo Mobile 2 into a circus with all kinds of brackets and constructions. It kinda goes against the freedom the Osmo offers while filming. I have a Rode VideoMe and plugging is quite difficult, as my jack entrance is on the right site, obscured by the Osmo. I found a 4-pin hooked connector on the Internet (That was quite a search search!. I hope I can put the mic on top, plugged into the connector. I still have to find a way to make sure it's a sturdy solution (and the mic not falling forward of backward).

Question to the administrations: If my solution doesn't work, Is there a clip of mount available to have a small and light mic on the right site of the phone?

I totally understand you all, I think a good solution is this type of amazon product: Osmo Mobile 2 external mic attachment

It will allow us to mount a mic on top of the phone and the Osmo Mobile 2 and if mounted correctly should not make any balance problem.

But we still have the problem of inserting the cable of the mic into the phone. If you have an iOS smartphone, you could use a lighting splitter like this one: Lighting Splitter

If using an Android device, maybe a USB-C splitter?

Hope this works! Because I don't like to add audio to my holidays videos I haven't buy it.

If someone had tried something like this please be sure to let us know!
2019-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules