Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Poll: How often should I replace Mavic Air's propellers?
19817 75 2018-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Also the loading of prop is different for different aircraft. Prop of Spark looks same as new after 100 flight. Prop of Air looks a bit more older with same flights. I can understand Air has more power and run faster which put more loading on the prop. Also the flight time is much longer. Can't use the same standard for different aircraft.

DJI should provide us the prop fail testing figure as reference.
2018-5-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

it depends on usage more than anything.  so if you are a more gentle light user only flies every few days (like only meet ups) than you probably get away with 6 months to a year assuming not clipping into anything.. more you fly the more wear and tear occurs.. naturally.   

i only change out when i need to.. ie. chips, bends, holes, cracks, etc etc..   i feel like that is roughly every few months anyway... either because i graze something and damage them or because wear and tear takes over and they bringing to show signs of usage.

i have a set of carbon fiber props, a few sets, assuming just wear and tear with usage, CF props do last a lot longer, however DJI doesn't make them or certify them and if they fail mid flight and drone goes down you may suffer denied warranty claim.   the other issue to worry about is proper balancing, i gotten lucky and every CF prop i purchase including the new low noise ones has been properly balanced, but poor balancing means vibrations and rapidly damaging drones with vibrations.    CF is not ideal if you fly into solid objects a lot or around people.. they are very sharp and do not flex out of the way and will cut skin before stopping.. trust me i know first hand (drinking while droning = interesting tests).   however if you are a leaf trimmer or a hedge trimmer, CF does hold up to that light chopping very well
2018-5-19
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I changed mine recently to these. Only use them to make the grandkids giggle !

State Farm is on my side !!

2018-5-19
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

I have my MPP for about 2 1/2 months now. Already logged 79hours and 1700km in 376 flights

At around 80 flights I took a really close look at a tree and luckily only damaged the 4 props! After that I put on the second set I got with the bundle and they still look brand new after I wipe the bug splats off!
2018-5-20
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

I feel like I'm missing something, but the recommendation to change your props every 3 months seems just plain stupid. This should be based on amount of flying and perhaps type of flying. Obviously if you put new props on 3 months ago and haven't flown in those three months, you don't need to change your props before you fly, right?

I must be missing something. Are props like food in that they have a shelf life of only 3 months after which you must throw them out?
2018-5-20
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-19 13:13
I changed mine recently to these. Only use them to make the grandkids giggle !

[view_image]

ok.  i can't lie.  that's cool!
2018-5-20
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-20 10:57
ok.  i can't lie.  that's cool!

Would never trust them past the backyard or local fly lot, I have had people come out of their homes surrounding  the lot I fly my race quads thinking it was a UFO

2018-5-20
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-20 11:35
Would never trust them past the backyard or local fly lot, I have had people come out of their homes surrounding  the lot I fly my race quads thinking it was a UFO this is the lot

[view_image]

again, very cool.  I just saw some props on amazon.  was thinking, this would be cool flying really locally.  would never fly for any distance with them.  thinking about ordering them...
2018-5-20
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

3-D Posted at 2018-5-20 13:49
again, very cool.  I just saw some props on amazon.  was thinking, this would be cool flying really locally.  would never fly for any distance with them.  thinking about ordering them...

I bought them from here, even came with batteries  Lightake
2018-5-20
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-20 15:13
I bought them from here, even came with batteries  Lightake

apparently LightTake only has the props for the Pro.   But Amazon has them.
Thanks again...
2018-5-20
Use props
Guido-Italy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-2-7 05:08
Recommend to change every 3 months, this is what dji are now recommending for MavAir,

And what about MP propellers change?
2018-6-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Guido-Italy Posted at 2018-6-23 11:53
And what about MP propellers change?

I have mine almost two years and have only changed once.
2018-6-23
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-23 15:28
I have mine almost two years and have only changed once.

Very nice.  I have put more than 800 miles on my current ones and they still look brand new.  For me no reason to change out.  
2018-6-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

SparksBird Posted at 2018-6-23 15:38
Very nice.  I have put more than 800 miles on my current ones and they still look brand new.  For me no reason to change out.

They are certainly a lot stronger than MavAir or spark, I changed because I have 5 sets and don’t know what to do with them.
2018-6-23
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-6-23 15:42
They are certainly a lot stronger than MavAir or spark, I changed because I have 5 sets and don’t know what to do with them.

I figure if I see anything abnormal at all then I will change them.  I also have three other sets that have collected dust but really see no reason to change.  I know DJI is doing their thing by saying lets just go ahead and tell people to change them this amount of time but I feel that is more for those that do clip things here and there, are rough with them, get potential cracks so lets just tell everyone to change them every 3 months to cover ourselves.  
2018-6-23
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I also find DJI's recommendation to change after 3 months strange. For example if a supplier has had a Mavic on the shelf for three months then the props should be binned? The same for spare props, if we are buying new ones and they are 3 months old do we use them? Usage is a far better measure. Good advice on here regarding any damage or lots of use. I always check mine and change them regularly or if I see any changes in them. Never worth taking the risk of damaging your aircraft or worse it injuring someone due to a failure.
2018-7-18
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

DJI should print Expiry Data on the prop if it ony has 3 months life.
2018-7-19
Use props
dronto
lvl.4
Singapore

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-19 13:13
I changed mine recently to these. Only use them to make the grandkids giggle !

[view_image]

this is very nice video...saw it on YouTube review recently; how do you like these props QuadKid?
2018-7-19
Use props
dronto
lvl.4
Singapore

thanks for highlighting this useful query....never thought about it that there is a recommendation for 3 monthly change.
2018-7-19
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

dronto Posted at 2018-7-19 01:19
this is very nice video...saw it on YouTube review recently; how do you like these props QuadKid?

They are pretty cool, use them to WOW the grandkids. No effect on flight & control, looks like a UFO when 100 meters out and 50 meters high
2018-7-19
Use props
dronto
lvl.4
Singapore

QuadKid Posted at 2018-7-19 02:06
They are pretty cool, use them to WOW the grandkids. No effect on flight & control, looks like a UFO when 100 meters out and 50 meters high

hahaha nice now you make me interested to get these nice colourful LED propellers

did you get them online?
2018-7-19
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

After more research, I've decided to not get the LED props.  I've seen too many videos of them coming off.  It's not worth the risk.

Also, since I just got a new aircraft, (with new props), my count has started over.  I'll probably change them around 300 flights.
2018-7-19
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
United States

dronto Posted at 2018-7-19 02:20
hahaha nice  now you make me interested to get these nice colourful LED propellers

did you get them online?

See Post # 49, pretty fast delivery as well.
2018-7-19
Use props
dronto
lvl.4
Singapore

QuadKid Posted at 2018-7-19 05:11
See Post # 49, pretty fast delivery as well.

oops sorry missed that earlier..thanks QuadKid
2018-7-19
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Never, as long as they don't get dinged up. I have the original set on my p3a. Three years of flying
2018-7-23
Use props
guru_2018
lvl.1

Algeria

Hello.
yes it's correct that for security concerns and best flying experience propllers should be changed at least each three months. Also, I know that DJI  recommends to change the propellers ASAP when the propellers are not in shape. But honestly I prefer the Spark rather that The Mavic it's more rebuste.
Regards.
2018-7-24
Use props
guru_2018
lvl.1

Algeria

Expiry period for propellers are quite short, but this due high effort and mechanical constraints on rotors @ high velocity.
CCleaner Happy Wheels VLC
2018-7-24
Use props
WebParrot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I inspect my props before the beginning of each flying session and if chipped, cracked, dented, scrapped, or show any signs of plastic fatigue/wear, they get replaced ... I also occassionally remove them and check the mounting 'studs' for wear or imperfections or malformation.  While removed I look for any debris around the motor the might affect operation.
2018-7-25
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I inspect props before each flight and look for stress, faults and any damage. I do not replace every 3 months that's simply ridiculous.   I run finger tips down the front and back of the blades also, test the joints and verify they are secure. It became a habit so I do not even think about it now.

Just ordered 2 pairs from DJI Store... why? Because murphy's law says so now that I've read this. ;)
!! I avoid ordering form eBay and Amazon... too many cheap knock offs !! Just buy direct and you wont go wrong.
2018-8-19
Use props
3-D
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-2 21:32
$20 bucks because you only get one pair (one CW, one CCW) for $10.

i was able to get 2 pairs for $12, but i'm wondering now if they are Genuine DJI props...  I'll inspect when i get home.  Luckily, they are not on the aircraft yet
2018-9-3
Use props
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
Flight distance : 733829 ft
United Kingdom

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2-8 05:30
hi dji paladin - please give your feed back on this point: dji recommends users replace props after 3 months. Surely this does not make sense. Think about the fact that some users might only use their drones a few times in 3 months and others may use it almost every day - the flight distance will vary massively between users over a 3 month period.
Surely it is more logical to use a better guide for example to say props should be placed after a certain amount of flight miles or after a certain amount of flights

I'm with you, seems to me like the over zealous "Best Before' dates. A way of monetising fear.
2018-12-17
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would go with whatever DJI is recommending.
2018-12-30
Use props
HH1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

GDL, have to agree with you, when someone says "I change the props every three months," are they saying every three calendar months regardless of flying time, or are they saying after three months of flying time?  Unless the props have something visually different or make a different noise while turning, I am in the process of logging the flight time, and when I notice something, then I will use that flight time as a marker to replace them.  Much like rotors on a helicopter.  And they still have the props go bad now and then.  
2019-1-3
Use props
djiuser_XjpNUI4Ah7c8
New

France

Is it better to remove props, when carrying dji air in the bag?  Or it is ok to keep them mounted?
2020-6-8
Use props
djiuser_ddmq4A3kzYE8
lvl.1

United States

3 months is an extremely arbitrary number with no backing of flight time. As long as your props aren’t bent, damaged, dinged and scratched up from hitting objects then you’re good. Been flying on the same props for over a year
2021-1-30
Use props
djiuser_KEDHzTzPEyh9
lvl.1

United States

I have 812 flights and 412 miles on my 10 month old mini 2 and have not replaced my propeller once.
2022-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules