Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why do people upgrade FW
548 8 2018-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andrew245
lvl.3

Canada

I am just wondering why do you guys update firmware and then fight with the problems that seems like never ending process...
I have been flying DJI since P3P and I learned from that experience not to upgrade the craft or the controller.

It seems to me that if you are happy with the performance and quality of flight with the native firmware that your craft came with why bother
putting yourself through the process of testing new firmware, risking failure of your craft in mid air and the unnecessary stress that comes along with sorting what the problems are. Don't be a guinea pig, enjoy your equipment the way it came out of the box ...

Just saying...

2018-2-7
Use props
Timinator
lvl.4
Flight distance : 212359 ft
Canada

I agree.  It's one thing to update a computer or a phone and always be able to back out of it if the update goes south but when you are talking flight safety, it is pushed to a higher level. No f/w updates for me unless it is essential (ie having problems with current f/w).
2018-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 6153264 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey don’t be advising people not to update firmware. Then they would have nothing to moan and bitch about. Lol.

“Never tell your problems to anyone...20% don't care and the other 80% are glad you have them.”
2018-2-7
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I would guess that there are far more success storys of FW updates than failures.

Its just human nature to shout out about failures ... but those that have successful - like me - go fly.

Only failure I had was following the 'hack' to backdate FW. Why did I want to backdate ? The new FW didn't make any visible difference to flight.

Nigel
2018-2-7
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.3

Canada

solentlife Posted at 2018-2-7 09:21
I would guess that there are far more success storys of FW updates than failures.

Its just human nature to shout out about failures ... but those that have successful - like me - go fly.

Is your craft range the same ?  just wondering... last thing I would want to sacrifice is the flight range and video / controller transmission quality...
Some people upgrade but all they fly is 500 meters and they are absolutely happy with the 500 meters, some of us want to fly far FPV  and want to explore the craft maximum potential, now I'm talking open field - country side, just don't want to be scalded here for ignoring VLOS...
If you only fly 500 meters perhaps you are unaffected by the range decrease or range problems...
2018-2-7
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Suggest you check out my youtube channel ... "solentlifeuk"

My P3S did over 5km ..... my P3P regularly goes 2km ...

Latest FW / Go / Litchi ..... range and everything still good for well over 2km ....

I am not advising people to update if all is OK with their machines. But I am saying that I am sure there are far more success storys of update out there than failures. And I reckon a lot of the failures are down to users ... I know that the DJI / 'Experts' instructions are often not 100% .... and that can lead to users powering down / changing something ... creating a problem.

The biggest difference being in the LED lights sequences and sounds .......... last two updates I did - they did not match 'experts' info ... but I left all alone for ages till I was sure nothing else could happen ... relinked and all fine.

Nigel
2018-2-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It seems that you have experienced many difficulties in the current firmware, right? May I know what's the range when you tested it? We're glad to help if more data can be offered.
2018-2-7
Use props
Luca Rubino
First Officer
Flight distance : 502641 ft
  • >>>
Italy

My question is: Why people don't want to update???

And I'm a software developer. If we must listen you, after the release of the first version, we have to go to the pub, and drink beer until a new product come out or a whole new app is planed. Why spend time correcting bugs, adding features if people don't want to update?
2018-2-7
Use props
Andrew245
lvl.3

Canada

Luca Rubino Posted at 2018-2-7 23:24
My question is: Why people don't want to update???

And I'm a software developer. If we must listen you, after the release of the first version, we have to go to the pub, and drink beer until a new product come out or a whole new app is planed. Why spend time correcting bugs, adding features if people don't want to update?

This is so nice of you to care , I appreciate it but IF the whole story was wow I upgraded and I got better range, I upgraded and I got a better camera stability, I upgraded and now I have more features that work flawlessly and gee I upgraded and it eliminated my out of horizon camera and camera vibrations , gees bud I would definitely UPGRADE the FIRMWARE !
Unfortunately everything I read and hear leads me to believe that the new FIRMWARE upgrade leads to nothing but PROBLEMS !!!!  get it PROBLEMS...
Now you wonder why people are hesitant about your new firmware release and rather want to stay away from upgrading and all the problems that come along with upgrading...
2018-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules