What is the HDMI out good for?
1507 9 2018-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
Flight distance : 452835 ft
United States

Like the topic says, what is it used for? What do you guys and gals use this feature on the crystalsky for? Is it just a port that we can say "look it has a HDMI out" but no one actually uses it, like the sd card slots? Just curious how people are using their crystalskys to get the most out of it.
2018-2-7
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can connect another monitor, so another person can look at the second screen without disturbing the pilot.
You can connect a HDMI recorder.
You can connect a wireless HDMI transmitter to broadcast the pilots screen over a decent distance.

That's what i am using it  
2018-2-7
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
United States

Keule Posted at 2018-2-7 10:25
You can connect another monitor, so another person can look at the second screen without disturbing the pilot.
You can connect a HDMI recorder.
You can connect a wireless HDMI transmitter to broadcast the pilots screen over a decent distance.

Very good, that's what I figured. Do you know what HDMI recorders are compatible and if using one will it record as it's being filmed? Or would I have to transfer from the on board SD card like you currently have to do with the way the sd cards on Crystalsky is configured? I plan on using it with my Osmo Pro and Mavic. I'm not to worried about recording to HDMI recorder when using with Mavic as onboard 64gb sd card is usually adequate, but I would like to be able to use it with the Osmo Pro.  It's a bummer I would have to add another piece of kits to a mobile type unit but until DJI makes it so you can record directly to the sd cards in crytalsky I don't want to have to switch out sd cards in osmo all the time or take the time out of filming to stop and transfer to sd card from the cache on crystalsky. Sorry for going on and on, but if you have a recommendation for a HDMI recorder that would work I'd appreciate it. It would be awesome if I could record directly to a SSD like is done on OSMO raw, plug it into the USB port on crystalsky and off I go. I haven't tried it to see if it's possible but I'm guessing it's not. Thanks.
2018-2-7
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2018-2-7 10:51
Very good, that's what I figured. Do you know what HDMI recorders are compatible and if using one will it record as it's being filmed? Or would I have to transfer from the on board SD card like you currently have to do with the way the sd cards on Crystalsky is configured? I plan on using it with my Osmo Pro and Mavic. I'm not to worried about recording to HDMI recorder when using with Mavic as onboard 64gb sd card is usually adequate, but I would like to be able to use it with the Osmo Pro.  It's a bummer I would have to add another piece of kits to a mobile type unit but until DJI makes it so you can record directly to the sd cards in crytalsky I don't want to have to switch out sd cards in osmo all the time or take the time out of filming to stop and transfer to sd card from the cache on crystalsky. Sorry for going on and on, but if you have a recommendation for a HDMI recorder that would work I'd appreciate it. It would be awesome if I could record directly to a SSD like is done on OSMO raw, plug it into the USB port on crystalsky and off I go. I haven't tried it to see if it's possible but I'm guessing it's not. Thanks.

You can use whatever you like, depending on what your use case is and/or how much you want to spend.
Have a look here
2018-2-7
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
United States

Keule Posted at 2018-2-7 13:34
You can use whatever you like, depending on what your use case is and/or how much you want to spend.
Have a look here

Thank you, looks like what I was looking for
2018-2-7
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2018-2-7 14:02

Perfect, glad i could help!
2018-2-7
Use props
14jnewmy14
lvl.3
United States

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2018-2-7 14:02

Do you have any experience with or know of anything that will plug into the HDMI out on the crystalsky and record, like the product you mentioned but doesn't have a screen. Since I already have the screen it would be redundant and not as portable. Atoms has a product, Ninja Star, which is what I'm looking for but I think it only records in ProRes, which I'm not familiar with, haven't ever worked with it. Any ideas? Will ProRes work for OSMO Pro application?
2018-2-7
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

14jnewmy14 Posted at 2018-2-7 18:37
Do you have any experience with or know of anything that will plug into the HDMI out on the crystalsky and record, like the product you mentioned but doesn't have a screen. Since I already have the screen it would be redundant and not as portable. Atoms has a product, Ninja Star, which is what I'm looking for but I think it only records in ProRes, which I'm not familiar with, haven't ever worked with it. Any ideas? Will ProRes work for OSMO Pro application?

Apple ProRes is a lossy video compression format developed by Apple for use in post-production.
It is intended for use during video editing, and not for practical end-user viewing.
So simply said, if you are going to edit the footage recorded in ProRes, such as Final Cut Pro, that
format is better suited and quality is improved in the final footage.
If you want only to record a HDMI stream and and play it on your TV then buy a HDMI game recorder for PS/4, XBOX which are offered at Ebay.
2018-2-7
Use props
mycypher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 682215 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hdmi in would be lovely for those with multiple CS monitors.
2018-2-8
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Television provides a clean feed for any HDMI out. Certainly, it will be a good asset of you are considering a monitor set up.
2018-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules