strong wireless interference
5676 22 2018-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scruffs dad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1071604 ft
United Kingdom

Today i was out in the middle of nowhere flying my phantom 3 std i had used 2 batterys with no problems then with the 3rd battery after about 5 minutes got the message strong wireless interference, then lost image and had problems landing. the phantom was no more than 15m away from me and 10m high. after this i could not get a signal to connect to phantom. i then got my daughters phantom out, connected it and flew it with no problems. i don't understand how with my phantom i had the problem but with my daughters it was fine. Any ideas why

2018-2-7
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

did you update something new ? DJI GO app ? Firmware?
2018-2-7
Use props
Siambuddhas Group
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

After updating or ? Wireless interfere are not seen by bare eyes... It's like an EMP just swim pass..maybe ..too many maybes.. but best if u could put in the flight log for us to see
2018-2-7
Use props
Hracek
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1352083 ft
United States

Maybe you pulled out a phone that transmitted the same freq., bogging your system down.
2018-2-7
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Hracek Posted at 2018-2-7 13:43
Maybe you pulled out a phone that transmitted the same freq., bogging your system down.

Cell phones do not work on the same frequency as the drone, please don't publish uninformed replies like this.
2018-2-7
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

800,900 and 1800 MHz are the frequency of a three band mobile. It must be another source. The mobile is it not.
2018-2-7
Use props
Steve Og
lvl.3
Flight distance : 938258 ft
United States

Many cellphones do have 2.4 ghz wifi capability. Big-time interference possibilities. I often turn off the wifi on my iphone/ipad for that reason. I also switch to 5.8 ghz on the p4p+. And still frequently get the strong interference alert, even when out in the middle of nowhere.  Support asked for a screen shot of the message. I don't understand why they need the screenshot as 'strong interference' error message is self explanitory.  I believe the screenshot request is a stalling technique to get me/us to drop the case. When the message shows up, it will disappear by the time I get my gloves off and swipe to activate the menu where I can choose the screenshot. That makes my problem a statistic the support people don't have to acknowledge. Very clever. . .  
2018-2-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, does the issue remains if adjust the antenna? Please change to another location, disable the Bluetooth and mobile WiFi to see whether it helps.
2018-2-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Steve Og Posted at 2018-2-7 15:54
Many cellphones do have 2.4 ghz wifi capability. Big-time interference possibilities. I often turn off the wifi on my iphone/ipad for that reason. I also switch to 5.8 ghz on the p4p+. And still frequently get the strong interference alert, even when out in the middle of nowhere.  Support asked for a screen shot of the message. I don't understand why they need the screenshot as 'strong interference' error message is self explanitory.  I believe the screenshot request is a stalling technique to get me/us to drop the case. When the message shows up, it will disappear by the time I get my gloves off and swipe to activate the menu where I can choose the screenshot. That makes my problem a statistic the support people don't have to acknowledge. Very clever. . .

Hi Steve, sorry for the difficulties first. May I know what's the current version of the aircraft and controller?When the message appears, please click the HD icon to see whether the current channel is stable or not. The screenshot or video will be helpful to locate the exact status. Would you mind sharing us the issue video? We'd like to look into it. Thanks in advance!
2018-2-7
Use props
CreativeSky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is an example of the "Strong wireless interference.." warning. I do not get this bad of reception when I am not recording my screen. I am not sure why it is so poor when recording. Perhaps the ol' iPad can not keep up.

Just one thing, I thin they need to increase the number of times this warning pops up. I don't think once every 3 seconds is enough.
2018-2-7
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-7 13:51
Cell phones do not work on the same frequency as the drone, please don't publish uninformed replies like this.

Mobile phones have wifi do that not? they do transmit wifi, not just receive and this is on 2.4 and 5.8ghz ;)
2018-2-7
Use props
fans92f6af90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1018448 ft
Denmark

Hi
I have the exact same observations when flying my P3S. WiFi is necessary to connect the phone to the RC, I have tried to disable BT, because i though that might interfere that did not make any difference. The observation is the same for iPhone 6 and iPhone 8. I am running the most recent iOS and GO-app releases. The interference is in my case different from day to day and even from hour to hour on the very same location. These messages are displayed even though the signal strength is indicated very high on the GO-app. I have not been able to locate an explanation in the material I have on hand from DJI, which might be helpful to understand what causes this.
I have never had observations of loss of control, but I would very much like to understand the root cause for these messages.
2018-2-7
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Germany

The most of this interferences are,if ya use the phone as mobile hotspot. The air plane mode and disabled hot spot function on mobile should stop that.
2018-2-8
Use props
fans7dcd4911
New
Flight distance : 225928 ft
Ukraine

Peterx Posted at 2018-2-8 01:13
The most of this interferences are,if ya use the phone as mobile hotspot. The air plane mode and disabled hot spot function on mobile should stop that.

What if a cell phone have no hotspot active just wifi enabled? You think its can be problem? I have the same troubles with interference even on mountains i lost control & crash my phantom at the rock . I think i should try disable wifi next time on my devices.....
2018-2-8
Use props
fans92f6af90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1018448 ft
Denmark

This thread has started to include a lot of guesses. Could be good to have factual information as, e.g. what causes such information to be displayed in the GO-app. I am sure DJI will be capable of providing such information. They will most likely have information on what could cause such interference too, again what is the root cause for these messages.
One does feel insecure when such messages starts to appear - am I loosing control of my QC and what will happen next.
Can I at all I do anything to avoid this to happen?
2018-2-8
Use props
scruffs dad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1071604 ft
United Kingdom

hi all
thanks for the responses
i use iPhone 7, always put it on flight mode then turn on wifi to connect to phantom. we had 2 other iPhones with us but they were on flight mode as well.
the nearest house was 1.5 miles away as crow fly. i fly there a lot and have never had this problem
DJI Susan, like i said in the post i used my daughters phantom in the same location with out any problem, and yes i adjusted antenna.
again thanks everyone
2018-2-8
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Bashy Posted at 2018-2-7 21:24
Mobile phones have wifi do that not? they do transmit wifi, not just receive and this is on 2.4 and 5.8ghz ;)

Yes, but they are listening on WiFi, and unless you connect to the WiFi source, they do not transmit.
2018-2-8
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That cannot be true, they must send something else other networks couldnt find them?
2018-2-8
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Germany

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-8 15:03
Yes, but they are listening on WiFi, and unless you connect to the WiFi source, they do not transmit.

How you got the commands for intelligent flights from the phone to the copter?
Phones WIFI is not listening only but it´s not so strong as a router but it´s telling too.
So the phone is not the culprit of interference.
2018-2-9
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Germany

fans7dcd4911 Posted at 2018-2-8 03:39
What if a cell phone have no hotspot active just wifi enabled? You think its can be problem? I have the same troubles with interference even on mountains i lost control & crash my phantom at the rock . I think i should try disable wifi next time on my devices.....

If you use a phantom upward P3A/P 4 or better you can disable the WIFI but the P3S some time the Mavic and Spark need it. But the airplane mode is good for all QC models from DJI.
2018-2-9
Use props
Steve Og
lvl.3
Flight distance : 938258 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-7 20:10
Hi Steve, sorry for the difficulties first. May I know what's the current version of the aircraft and controller?When the message appears, please click the HD icon to see whether the current channel is stable or not. The screenshot or video will be helpful to locate the exact status. Would you mind sharing us the issue video? We'd like to look into it. Thanks in advance!

Thanks DJI Susan.  I think I have it figured out. The HD Icon page always showed good channel status. But what I realized is that while I turned off my cell phone & IPad Wi-Fi, I had left the bluetooth on. I didn't realize that Bluetooth is also 2.4 GH. Furthermore, my vehicle also connects with my phone by bluetooth. So I'd drive to these very remote locations and my vehicle would still be broadcasting bluetooth.  Once I turned off the car & phone bluetooth, I haven't been seeing the wireless interference anymore. Thanks for your interest.
2018-2-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

scruffs dad Posted at 2018-2-8 09:32
hi all
thanks for the responses
i use iPhone 7, always put it on flight mode then turn on wifi to connect to phantom. we had 2 other iPhones with us but they were on flight mode as well.

Thanks for keeping us posted. Just to verify, the drones of your daughter are also Phantom 3 Standard, right? May I know what's the current firmware of the aircraft and APP? The environment is the main factor, and changing it will be helpful to narrow down the scope, I appreciate your cooperation.
2018-2-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Steve Og Posted at 2018-2-11 10:37
Thanks DJI Susan.  I think I have it figured out. The HD Icon page always showed good channel status. But what I realized is that while I turned off my cell phone & IPad Wi-Fi, I had left the bluetooth on. I didn't realize that Bluetooth is also 2.4 GH. Furthermore, my vehicle also connects with my phone by bluetooth. So I'd drive to these very remote locations and my vehicle would still be broadcasting bluetooth.  Once I turned off the car & phone bluetooth, I haven't been seeing the wireless interference anymore. Thanks for your interest.

You are welcome. It's really nice to know you have figured this out. Enjoy it and happy flying!
2018-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules