Propeller Scratch - Okay To Fly?
7073 13 2018-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
slyfox0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118 ft
Canada

Is it okay to fly Mavic Air with a few scratches on one of the propellers?

IMG_8378.jpg IMG_8380.jpg IMG_8381.jpg
IMG_8379.jpg
2018-2-7
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
Netherlands

Yes they are fine. Cracks are an issue.
2018-2-7
Use props
TechGooch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 413839 ft
United States

I wouldn't even second guess flying with those!
2018-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There are no redundancy for props on MavAir, they cost $9 a pair just think about it.
2018-2-7
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Looks pretty fine to me.
2018-2-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

To me this does not look serious. Do some hovering close to you and some maneuvers at low altitude. If you don't see any abnormal flight behaviour they should be ok.
2018-2-7
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The drone will not crash or malfunction due to using these but you may experience a very slight vibration issue or worse case, slight drift as the blades may no longer be perfectly balanced. You can use them but for the best possible results I would put on another set. Blades are one of the cheapest accessories and indeed, there is no prop redundancy on quads - if you lose one in flight you will probably lose the drone!
2018-2-7
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Its probably just unbalanced so if you dont mind a bit of vibration in that motor you good to fly.
2018-2-7
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

How did the tips get damaged? (More importantly)
2018-2-7
Use props
slyfox0
lvl.4
Canada

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-2-7 14:05

I think that this may have been caused by one of the propeller guards being not fully locked and loose and one of the propellers hitting the prop guard.
2018-2-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there.
May I know how the propeller scratched. Even though it doesn't look so serious, we do recommend you change another propeller to use for the sake of security.
If you insist to use this one propeller, you can take off the drone carefully into the open air without any obstacles and keep the drone hovering several minutes at a height of 2-3 meters to check if there are any abnormal conditions.
Thank you for your support and understanding.
2018-2-7
Use props
slyfox0
lvl.4
Canada

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-2-7 23:27
Hi there.
May I know how the propeller scratched. Even though it doesn't look so serious, we do recommend you change another propeller to use for the sake of security.
If you insist to use this one propeller, you can take off the drone carefully into the open air without any obstacles and keep the drone hovering several minutes at a height of 2-3 meters to check if there are any abnormal conditions.

I am not sure as I did not fly my drone outside. I just unpacked my drone yesterday and it just hovered a bit indoor. One of three options that I can think of.

1. Cosmetic defect from the factory.
2. Propeller hitting a propeller guard that could have been loose.
3. Propeller hitting part of the drone body (someone else on the forum has this problem). However, I have not seen any marks on my drone or the propeller guards.
2018-2-8
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Superfine sandpaper and just gently sand the scuff off, no more. If you can check it on a prop balancer just to make sure it hasn't been affected too much would help loads too.
2018-2-8
Use props
djiuser_hP3IfBZpTIKD
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-2-7 14:05

F44C2DD8-1C9D-4A70-B846-2EC7B9CBEA04.jpeg
2021-1-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules