Mavic Air charging hub - no parallel charging
3833 14 2018-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

To who it my concern... I just found out that the Mavic Air batteries are not changing parallel on the 4-battery-charger which comes with the flymore combo. That is nothing new for you guys flying the Mavic Pro, but coming from the Spark, it does matter. Loved the fact, that I could charge 3 batteries parallel for my spark.
2018-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Would have been nice, I think we will see another charger down the line as we have with Mavic and phantom and inspire .
2018-2-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Yes, it is a nice feature with the Spark charger, I agree. But as here above stated, things may improve over time.
2018-2-7
Use props
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

So there is a charger for the Pro which can charge parallel?
I don't like the fact that I paid a lot for having the flymore combo and getting a charger which will have a better successor sooner or later. Anyway, let's see.
2018-2-7
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

iceman#1 Posted at 2018-2-7 14:46
So there is a charger for the Pro which can charge parallel?
I don't like the fact that I paid a lot for having the flymore combo and getting a charger which will have a better successor sooner or later. Anyway, let's see.

The regular charger of the Pro does not charge in parallel either. I believe it's a capacity issue. The Air batteries have a bigger capacity than the Spark ones. I don't know more details though...
2018-2-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there.
Actually, the logic of Battery Charging Hub of Spark and Mavic Air is similar.
Spark: 15-45℃, the battery with the lowest voltage will be charged first. When power is enough, there will be multiple batteries being charged at the same time. As a whole, the charging hub will charge all of the batteries with the maximum power in the fastest time.
Mavic Air: The batteries will be charged in sequence according to their power level, from high to low.
You can take it as a reference.
2018-2-7
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

It would take an expensive power supply for a charger to push enough current for four semi large batteries to charge at once.  Semi expensive at least, but enough to mess up the consumer price point the Mavic is trying to reach.  Likely safer to keep the total current low given how drone pilots will place on charge and forget it.
2018-2-7
Use props
frankengels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2273796 ft
Belgium

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-2-7 22:08
It would take an expensive power supply for a charger to push enough current for four semi large batteries to charge at once.  Semi expensive at least, but enough to mess up the consumer price point the Mavic is trying to reach.  Likely safer to keep the total current low given how drone pilots will place on charge and forget it.

Fully agree with you and additionally this kind of power supply would need active or large passive cooling. I have from RcGeek a 3 batteries parallel charger for my Mavic Pro with a 15 Ampere + rating but it is big heavy and loud due to the active fan cooling . Works great but less adapted for traveling. I am also quite sure that you will find such chargers from third party suppliers.
2018-2-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is one of the reasons I don't think the Fly More combo is the best way to buy the Mavic Air
2018-2-7
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

are you kidding?  i walk in , put all the batteries on charge and go to bed.  what is more convenient than that?  in the morning i get up and start charging the other two p3p batteries one at a time.
2018-2-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AIister Posted at 2018-2-7 23:46
are you kidding?  i walk in , put all the batteries on charge and go to bed.  what is more convenient than that?  in the morning i get up and start charging the other two p3p batteries one at a time.

I am more than happy to change over myself. Also many would say that you should not charge Lithium batteries unattended. Look at the various advice about this all over the net

Dennis UK
2018-2-7
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

As others have stated, it actually makes logical sense when you look at the power draw it would need. A parallel charger would be bigger, heavier and require cooling which would likely make it noisy. Not fitting with the Airs travel aspirations. What DJI have done is pretty clever, keep the power block small and light but allow you to queue up the batteries so you can set and forget and leave them charging. Obviously I would do this somewhere that if they decide to go pop it won't have much impact!  
2018-2-8
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

It makes sense to charge in sequence instead of parallel.
I'd rather have the batteries fast charge one at a time, then have it tickle charge them all at once.
Sequential charging will have you flying faster then parallel charging would.
2018-2-8
Use props
Colin G4GBP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42533 ft
United Kingdom

I have a ham radio power supply that gives 13.8v to a cigar lighter connector. I put the flattest  battery on the car charger into the ham radio PSU and charge the other two via the sequential charger. The 12v charger is always ready first.
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the DJI advanced version of their charging hub for the MPP - when the first battery hits 85% the second battery will start charging so it’s semi simultaneous reducing the charge time on 4 MPP batteries from 15% to 100% by an hour using the same stock charger. The advanced hub is also compatible with the Phantom 4 100W charger as the hub has an internal fan to cool itself - this charges the same batteries in 2.5 hours rather than 5.25 hours with the standard hub. The advanced hub came out later down the line for the MP as an optional accessory and is not in the fly more combo. I think DJI will probably do the same with the Air charging hub once they have sorted everything else out following its recent release.  
2018-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules