Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
UUID - Defaults On...Always
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Users & Members Note -  
I recently determined that contra to what DJI indicates in their news release about the new UUID transmission capability that is supposed to be defaulted to OFF, instead it is defaulted "ON" (see red highlighted text below).

Further, I found the following:  If you turn off the two toggle switches for the UUID & Identification Information in the GO 4 App and then subsequently turn off the drone, when you turn it back on those two toggles will be turned back ON.  In addition, if you have these two items off and then turn off the RC (while the drone remains powered on) and then power the RC back on, again those two items will be back ON.  Lastly, if the two are toggled off and you log out of the GO 4 App and then log back in (while the RC & drone remain powered on) you will again see that the ID and Info toggles will have been turned back ON.  All of these occurrences happen every time, meaning there is no persistent off capability and obviously, they are not defaulted off.

This was determined using the current version available of the GO 4 App v4.2.4 using a P4P FW v01.05.0300
I cannot say why this is the case, oversight, intentional, mistake, flaw in the FW/SW/App…  Regardless, if you prefer to not broadcast this information you need to be aware of the situation.  Unless you are on top of the process for ensuring these two items remain off then more times than not you are broadcasting when you may think you are not.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
DJI Introduces Voluntary Flight Identification Options For Drone Pilots
News2017-12-01

DJI Introduces Voluntary Flight Identification Options For Drone Pilots

AeroScope System Protects Privacy With “License Plate,” Allows Self-Identification

DJI is introducing new features to the DJI AeroScope remote identification system that functions as an “electronic license plate” for drones. The new features allow drone pilots to voluntarily identify their flight operations to authorities while still protecting their privacy.

AeroScope is a system that remotely identifies and tracks airborne drones, allowing law enforcement and aviation safety officials to respond to safety and security concerns about drones. DJI drones locally broadcast their location, speed, heading and serial numbers to AeroScope receivers used by authorities at sensitive locations or in response to complaints.  However, they do not broadcast personally identifiable information.

Recent updates to the DJI GO 4 app and DJI drone firmware, made available first for the DJI Mavic Pro last week, will allow pilots to choose whether or not to broadcast additional information about their flight operations, if they believe it will be helpful to ease any concerns about their flights. Professional pilots and pilots who fly near sensitive locations may choose to do this routinely.

Once updated, the DJI GO 4 app will display a “remote identification” menu in the main controller settings. This menu gives pilots the option to broadcast their “UUID,” a unique user identification code tied to each pilot’s DJI GO account, and “Identification & Flight Information,” if a pilot chooses to enter information into them. The default setting for both options is to not broadcast them, and these settings can be changed at any time.

AeroScope addresses the needs of authorities who know that most drone flights are harmless, but who are concerned and must be vigilant about tracking risky or illegal drone activity near airport runways, prisons and other sensitive locations. AeroScope also provides authorities with a tool to respond to complaints about individual drone usage and to investigate further.

DJI developed AeroScope to balance the legitimate needs of authorities against the privacy rights of drone pilots. AeroScope uses the existing communications link between a drone and its remote controller to broadcast identification information up to 5 km such as a registration or serial number, as well as basic telemetry, including location, altitude, speed and direction. Police, security agencies, aviation authorities and other authorized parties can use an AeroScope receiver to monitor, analyze and act on that information.

Because AeroScope relies on drones directly broadcasting their information to local receivers, not on transmitting data to an internet-based service, it ensures most drone flights will not be automatically recorded in government databases, protecting the privacy interests of people and businesses that use drones. This approach also avoids substantial costs and complexities that would be involved in creating such databases and connecting drones to network systems.

DJI is working to expand the broadcast protocol for other drone manufacturers.

Governments around the world have expressed interest in requiring mandatory tracking and identification of drones. DJI has led the drone industry in arguing against proposals to require all drone flights to be tracked and recorded in government databases, many of which would require drones to be modified with special equipment that would add weight to drones, drain battery life and impose costs on drone pilots.

For additional information, please contact: pr@dji.com

2018-2-7
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Thanks for sharing this info ..
2018-2-8
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Makes me wonder what my P4P would be transmitting without an App on the +RC to check the status ...

Thanks for the warning, nice to be confirmed that DJI keep pushing things out changing our bought equipment without a chance to say no thanks.
I would suspect it also get enabled without shutting anything down if you use one of the "Intelligent" features and exit it again, just like we have seen the camera settings reset to default.
2018-2-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-2-8 03:49
Makes me wonder what my P4P would be transmitting without an App on the +RC to check the status ...

Thanks for the warning, nice to be confirmed that DJI keep pushing things out changing our bought equipment without a chance to say no thanks.

As I said, no way to tell why this occurs like it does but it does make you wonder.
I find it irritating and annoying since every time and situation I will have to go in and ensure it is indeed turned off.  
2018-2-8
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-2-8 09:15
As I said, no way to tell why this occurs like it does but it does make you wonder.
I find it irritating and annoying since every time and situation I will have to go in and ensure it is indeed turned off.

I just want to find someone with a receiver so I can actually see what information is really being revealed.
2018-2-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-2-8 09:20
I just want to find someone with a receiver so I can actually see what information is really being revealed.

You mean besides or different from what they say is being broadcasted?

Yeah, that would be interesting to find out and to see if it were different.  I suspect for now most of these receivers are going to be at point locations such as airfields and possibly some larger police depts. like NYPD, will have a portable capability (they say they have a 5km range).  However, I don't expect that to remain that way, and sooner or later there will be more, only question is will they be more portable or fixed, but I'm betting they are coming regardless.  It's one of those cases where the tech is there so heck why not use it.  Also, it is not like it is any real leap for the drones to transmit the info as they are piggybacking on the current transceiver capability that already exists on it.
I would like to know if this is draining the battery any faster by using the capability, I don't think so but I'm not an expert in that area.
2018-2-8
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I had thought it was only my drone doing this so I leave it on and on my second line which allows a few more characters, I typed  "I am behind you".  
2018-2-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-2-8 20:50
I had thought it was only my drone doing this so I leave it on and on my second line which allows a few more characters, I typed  "I'm behind you".

OK that was/is funny...you do know though that it is transmitting your location or specifically your drones positon.
Got a question for you...by leaving it on and typing that info in does it stay that way or does it require resetting too?  Curious to know...
2018-2-8
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-2-8 20:55
OK that was/is funny...you do know though that it is transmitting your location or specifically your drones positon.
Got a question for you...by leaving it on and typing that info in does it stay that way or does it require resetting too?  Curious to know...

Whatever you type in stays there.
2018-2-8
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-2-8 22:35
Whatever you type in stays there.

OK thanks
2018-2-9
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-8 23:01
What a surprise.  Odds on how long before that toggle disappears all together?

Neither I would be surprised too...
2018-2-9
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-8 23:03
If I recall correctly it transmits both the drone & pilot's locations.

I don't remember seeing that, but I'm sure it is in the realm of possibilities.
2018-2-9
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Yes more and more of the battery is getting used by the time needed to check all corners of the settings before taking off in an attempt to have some work done as expected, hopefully they get things fixed in a near future ...

I have hard to find the real usage of this broadcasting feature if not other flyers show up in the "radar" display of the App, and i don't think that is the case.
2018-2-9
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-2-9 02:40
Yes more and more of the battery is getting used by the time needed to check all corners of the settings before taking off in an attempt to have some work done as expected, hopefully they get things fixed in a near future ...

I have hard to find the real usage of this broadcasting feature if not other flyers show up in the "radar" display of the App, and i don't think that is the case.

No, deffo not radar of any sort, certainly not any time soon, would be cool though....
2018-2-9
Use props
Electro-Nick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

It'll not be long before you can't disable it. It's coming sooner than you think. Probably 6-18 months maybe.

Within Europe it'll soon be compulsory to put your official pilot ID in. The other flight info will be provided by the drone giving your take off location and current flight position and height. The only drones that will be exempt from this will be ones under 250g (excluding racing drones).

Once Europe goes down that route and drones are equipped with the capability, expect other countries to wake up and demand that info be broadcast too.

Don't rant at DJI as it can't resist the move - it needs to sell drones in Europe too, and they won't get the CE approval they need for that if they don't comply.
2018-2-9
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Electro-Nick Posted at 2018-2-9 03:35
It'll not be long before you can't disable it. It's coming sooner than you think. Probably 6-18 months maybe.

Within Europe it'll soon be compulsory to put your official pilot ID in. The other flight info will be provided by the drone giving your take off location and current flight position and height. The only drones that will be exempt from this will be ones under 250g (excluding racing drones).

You are correct, I know that the FAA is already looking at this kind of capability and I'm very certain that DJI has incorporated it specifically to satisfy that possibility and others.
2018-2-9
Use props
Electro-Nick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

EU's is also going down the compulsory pilot registration route - anything over 250g MTOM & you (the pilot not the aircraft) have to undergo online training & a test and be registered - that's any use, not just commercial. Aircraft over 250g will have to have a fireproof label with your registration ID on it too.

I'd expect DJI to develop a lot more capability in it's sub 250g range in the next year or so. (The Spark is just over 250g iirc)
2018-2-9
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

I can confirm that the P4P with +RC has the same behavior, this UUID transmission is enabled by default every time system is started and does not save the disabled state.
Still wondering what it transmit when nothing has been filled in the fields ....
2018-2-24
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-2-24 05:34
I can confirm that the P4P with +RC has the same behavior, this UUID transmission is enabled by default every time system is started and does not save the disabled state.
Still wondering what it transmit when nothing has been filled in the fields ....

At the very least the drones position and altitude, and some indicate the RC's position too
2018-2-24
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

Folks....

From what I heard, I think most people may be thinking about this incorrectly.

The changes are NOT broadcasting your drone and remote controller locations.  What I mean by that, is that was ALWAYS happening; my understanding is that is not new.  Your controller has been broadcasting it's location to the drone and vice-versa for a very long time.

What the changes DO allow is for the pilot to put additional information in the these fields.  For example, you have obtained a waiver to fly in what might otherwise be a restricted area, you can put your waiver information and other pertinent pieces of info in those fields.

Read this part of the press release again:

"Recent updates to the DJI GO 4 app and DJI drone firmware, made available first for the DJI Mavic Pro last week, will allow pilots to choose whether or not to broadcast additional information about their flight operations, if they believe it will be helpful to ease any concerns about their flights. Professional pilots and pilots who fly near sensitive locations may choose to do this routinely.

Once updated, the DJI GO 4 app will display a “remote identification” menu in the main controller settings. This menu gives pilots the option to broadcast their “UUID,” a unique user identification code tied to each pilot’s DJI GO account, and “Identification & Flight Information,” if a pilot chooses to enter information into them. The default setting for both options is to not broadcast them, and these settings can be changed at any time."

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about Aeroscope, it's abilities, and it's purpose.  If you are obeying the laws, you have nothing to worry about.

My understanding is that AeroScope did NOT need this update or you to fill in the information in order to gather the location information for your drone and the controller, the update only allows for additional information to be sent to aid the pilot in describing their intent.

At least this is my understanding.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2018-2-24
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Time to build my own  platform
2018-2-24
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Todd in Chicago Posted at 2018-2-24 11:40
Folks....

While I'm sure anything that transmits a signal can be found and therefore located, it does not mean that you can ID who or what that signal is.  However, in this case DJI has provided a way and means to do just that, unique to you and your GO 4 account.
Regardless, whether by omission or mistake they imply that this feature is supposed to be off by default but as noted it is not, and there in lies the real problem.
As others have noted, this is likely to become a requirement in the near future and likely DJI is lead turning that effort.  However, until then any personal information whether direct or indirect being transmitted should be left to one's own choice.  With that, there is no misunderstanding...
2018-2-24
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-2-24 11:53
Time to build my own  platform

Maybe so, but the time is growing short before you wont have a choice in the matter and you'll be required to install such capability on that bird as well.
2018-2-24
Use props
KedDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Folks....

It can not have been there from the start as the proposal for the system was first introduced late March 2017 so if it was there before latest updates it has been put in silently on the way.

Also as you cite, it is supposed to be turned off by default but is not. while on ground it can be turned off but as soon motors are started the system enable itself again.
With motors started, you can turn the transmissions off but they activate by them self within a few seconds, so apparently not working as described.

a few other DJI links to the subject:
DJI Proposes Electronic Identification Framework For Small Drones
DJI Demonstrates ‘Drone License Plate’ Technology And Drone Pilot Knowledge Quiz
Understanding DJI’s AeroScope Solution
2018-2-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

At the moment it should be optional, as dji said it would I’m not sure if or anybody has capability of reading any information as it is intended to be read , it is optional for pilot to input his information.
I suggest that those genuinely worried about their information being captured by dji or anyone else, that they should use dji Pilot app which offers full confidentiality, it is now fully supported by dji it works really well.
2018-2-25
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-2-24 14:01
Maybe so, but the time is growing short before you wont have a choice in the matter and you'll be required to install such capability on that bird as well.

Hi not banned i don"t think ? did you get the pm i sent on the 10th re UUID on the latest update?
2018-3-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Folks....

' Your controller has been broadcasting it's location to the drone and vice-versa for a very long time.'

No it has not. The controller has no GPS reception capability unless the pilot agrees to using it by switching on location services in their mobile or tablet. And the aircraft has always been broadcasting its position, otherwise you would never know where it is.
2018-3-11
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-3-10 23:53
Hi not banned i don"t think ? did you get the pm i sent on the 10th re UUID on the latest update?

OK GOOD!
I don't know what the deal is but something odd has been occurring, I have not seen or received your posts or PM.  I did get a reminder that you posted something but when I went to view it nothing was there...and as I noted I did not get your PM.
Something is not translating through the server farm I guess
Anyway, I believe you are trying to say that the latest FW update has corrected the always on UUID, yes?
I have not updated, yet...
Cheers
2018-3-11
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-3-11 00:38
OK GOOD!
I don't know what the deal is but something odd has been occurring, I have not seen or received your posts or PM.  I did get a reminder that you posted something but when I went to view it nothing was there...and as I noted I did not get your PM.
Something is not translating through the server farm I guess

ok to cut a long story short ... i updated fw and UUID default showed off then i reset all my parameters etc and switched off , put the rc on charge . on reboot the rc was beeping doing its nut so i signed out and reloaded fw and re linked the ac  this stopped the beeping but the UUID now showed default on !!
at this point i deleted my orig  post to avoid  confusion until i did a few flights . managed a flight which is the worst i've had (see my post on fw update 43 ) if you switch it off it stays off until you switch off ac or rc . It does not switch back on  on motor start up as before . hope that makes sense ?
In the end i decided to downgrade to 602 .. this tech is too tech if you know what i mean and i think Dji rushed this latest release , for me it created alot of small niggles etc others may have more luck we will have to wait and see ?
2018-3-11
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-3-11 02:00
ok to cut a long story short ... i updated fw and UUID default showed off then i reset all my parameters etc and switched off , put the rc on charge . on reboot the rc was beeping doing its nut so i signed out and reloaded fw and re linked the ac  this stopped the beeping but the UUID now showed default on !!
at this point i deleted my orig  post to avoid  confusion until i did a few flights . managed a flight which is the worst i've had (see my post on fw update 43 ) if you switch it off it stays off until you switch off ac or rc . It does not switch back on  on motor start up as before . hope that makes sense ?
In the end i decided to downgrade to 602 .. this tech is too tech if you know what i mean and i think Dji rushed this latest release , for me it created alot of small niggles etc others may have more luck we will have to wait and see ?

Copy that...
In summary, so we all understand what you are saying:
It is defaulted on ('it' being the UUID settings) at initial power up, but, once you power up the RC & Drone and set it to off it will stay that way until you either power off the AC or RC and then it will be switched back on.
Sounds like they may have only partially fixed the problem since there is no real persistent off enabled.

(and that at least explains why I was getting a reminder but then nothing was there, admittedly I was scratching my head there for awhile).
2018-3-11
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-3-11 09:44
Copy that...
In summary, so we all understand what you are saying:
It is defaulted on ('it' being the UUID settings) at initial power up, but, once you power up the RC & Drone and set it to off it will stay that way until you either power off the AC or RC and then it will be switched back on.

Spot on , sorry if i made it sound more than it is .... other issues i found with this update were live feed lag ( i have the p+ ) picture break up when switching from vid -photo and visa versa  , wobble on throttle up  i think one of the motors is stopping/starting  and it only seems to happen  mid throttle  before take off , poor right stick control when landing  i tried landing a few times and had the same response but i did not turn off the sensors so they may be a little too sensitive ? lastly i noticed other sensor settings ( on screen radar ) are not remembered  if changed  ?   hope this helps , let me know how your update goes  if you go that route you may have better luck than me
2018-3-11
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-3-11 10:32
Spot on , sorry if i made it sound more than it is .... other issues i found with this update were live feed lag ( i have the p+ ) picture break up when switching from vid -photo and visa versa  , wobble on throttle up  i think one of the motors is stopping/starting  and it only seems to happen  mid throttle  before take off , poor right stick control when landing  i tried landing a few times and had the same response but i did not turn off the sensors so they may be a little too sensitive ? lastly i noticed other sensor settings ( on screen radar ) are not remembered  if changed  ?   hope this helps , let me know how your update goes  if you go that route you may have better luck than me

Thanks!

Well based on your input I'm not so sure I'll be updating just yet, need to think on it...
If and when I do, I'll let you know...in the mean time keep an I on that motor thing of yours, sounds like a thing to be concerned over.
2018-3-11
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2018-3-11 11:46
Thanks!

Well based on your input I'm not so sure I'll be updating just yet, need to think on it...

no probs , i had enough of this update and opted to downgrade to 602 fly safe
2018-3-11
Use props
B.Marti
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29603 ft
Switzerland

merci
2019-7-17
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

This must be new to the most recent firmware, because on my P4P v2, that defaults to Off and I've never used it. But then, I'm running 13 month old firmware. No yaw problems, so I never upgraded it.
2019-7-17
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Mark Weiss Posted at 7-17 10:45
This must be new to the most recent firmware, because on my P4P v2, that defaults to Off and I've never used it. But then, I'm running 13 month old firmware. No yaw problems, so I never upgraded it.

First, at this point this is a zombie thread, and I'm sure this original thread is old news...
I'm fairly certain that the problem was fixed to where it was defaulted off, from it being on.  I don't even check it anymore, but, based on FAA requirements etc. they could have set it back to defaulting on, I don't believe so.  However, that day is likely coming...
2019-7-17
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KedDK Posted at 2018-2-8 03:49
Makes me wonder what my P4P would be transmitting without an App on the +RC to check the status ...

The only way to say no thanks is not to update and keep stuff off (ie switch on airplane mode) that could update
2020-1-3
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Bigplumbs Posted at 1-3 01:04
The only way to say no thanks is not to update and keep stuff off (ie switch on airplane mode) that could update

And that will do exactly what? The feature has been in the firmware of the aircraft for ages now and it is already broadcasting the data, irrespective of whether you have a phone connected or not.
2020-1-3
Use props
djiuser_eEgvBfg8dLvh
New

United Kingdom

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-2-8 20:50
I had thought it was only my drone doing this so I leave it on and on my second line which allows a few more characters, I typed  "I am behind you".

I always like to be one step ahead of the big brother thing and like to inject a little humour into it were possible. "I am behind you" appeals to my sense of humour  hehe
2020-5-29
Use props
Josemuriel
lvl.1

Spain

Hello, I live in Madrid, and they have put red zones all over Madrid, you can see it on the web
https://drones.enaire.es/

In Madrid you can't fly a dji drone, not even near a window at home, or in a garden. They have put fixed antennas all over Madrid. Also throughout Spain they have put red zones everywhere. They have taken advantage of the situation.
https://bandaancha.eu/articulos/policia-guardia-civil-siglo-cd-detecta-9813

In Spain, the only option we have left is to buy drones from the AUTEL brand so that we are not fined.
Spain has deceived DJI forbidding to fly almost everywhere in the Balearic Islands etc ... Although it seems that there are free zones to fly drones. Once you get closer to see if you can fly a drone, a red zone appears, it doesn't matter if there are airports or there are no airports nearby. Here they prohibit the use of DJI drones. You can't even take a selfie with a drone 3 meters above the ground.
DJI is not an option for Spain. AUTEL is the option that remains for us.
2021-10-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules