battery life??
1780 26 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
freddyms
lvl.2
United States

Recently I been experiencing critically low battery and auto landing initiated soon after take off. my battery indicator is on 3 of 4 dots. if I have a fully charged battery it is fine. so I did notice when I go to the battery menu and I take off with three dots on the battery the battery is green but as soon as I take off it goes red and stays red and within 30 seconds auto land takes over. if I take off on fully charged battery it will drop to yellow and no critically low. I only have about 30 cycles a battery. this is on all three batteries too
I didn't think lipos would create a memory, and if so is there any way to fix it? I heard cold weather may be a factor but I have flown it many times in Utah.
2018-2-8
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i have heard users talk about discharging your battery to 5% in order to "reset it" - do not know if it works but all i can think to suggest. Just put the battery in and turn the drone on and wait a few minutes until the power runs down - then recharge it again to full - hope it works.
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Go into the battery section of the app and check what % the critical low battery auto landing will start at. The lowest is 10% but it seems yours may be set higher. Battery settings are set per battery - so put the battery in with the issue to check. If the problem still persists then ship it back if less than 6 months old for a new one.
2018-2-8
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-2-8 05:38
Go into the battery section of the app and check what % the critical low battery auto landing will start at. The lowest is 10% but it seems yours may be set higher. Battery settings are set per battery - so put the battery in with the issue to check. If the problem still persists then ship it back if less than 6 months old for a new one.

good thinking
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It happened to me a long time ago! You live and learn!
2018-2-8
Use props
freddyms
lvl.2
United States

thanks and critically was set to 10, which is the lowest. I just moved low battery from 30% to 20% not sure if that will help but I will see. also I will drain them to 5% and see too. all last summer I could take off and 50% with no problem. do you guys think draining lower than 5% would do any damage?
2018-2-8
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
South Africa

freddyms Posted at 2018-2-8 05:56
thanks and critically was set to 10, which is the lowest. I just moved low battery from 30% to 20% not sure if that will help but I will see. also I will drain them to 5% and see too. all last summer I could take off and 50% with no problem. do you guys think draining lower than 5% would do any damage?

if that is the reset limit requirement then you have got to go there. so long as it is not your normal practice but only to do so occasionaly  if reset is reqired - should be fine.
2018-2-8
Use props
freddyms
lvl.2
United States

thanks for the advice and I will get back tomorrow and tell you how it went
2018-2-8
Use props
MFPullen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6257444 ft
  • >>>
United States

freddyms Posted at 2018-2-8 06:32
thanks for the advice and I will get back tomorrow and tell you how it went

Check the health of the three cells.  It could be a bad battery and draining faster than expected.  I had one of those a few weeks back.  Very unpredictable drain times.  I took it out of service.  Just didn't want to put the Mavic at risk.
2018-2-8
Use props
freddyms
lvl.2
United States

MFPullen Posted at 2018-2-8 07:03
Check the health of the three cells.  It could be a bad battery and draining faster than expected.  I had one of those a few weeks back.  Very unpredictable drain times.  I took it out of service.  Just didn't want to put the Mavic at risk.

I did all three would drop at same time.
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

freddyms Posted at 2018-2-8 05:56

Discharging is advisable (to an extent) to revive the cells but this is not a case of mAh shortages but more a huge, rapid drain of all the cells. Cutting to the point - this battery is basically a dud mate! Ship it back and get it replaced asap - if you continue to use it you will be placing your whole drone at risk - thats just not worth it!
2018-2-8
Use props
freddyms
lvl.2
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-8 08:08
Discharging is advisable (to an extent) to revive the cells but this is not a case of mAh shortages but more a huge, rapid drain of all the cells. Cutting to the point - this battery is basically a dud mate! Ship it back and get it replaced asap - if you continue to use it you will be placing your whole drone at risk - thats just not worth it!

all three have been doing it from the fly more kit I bought last year. I will just buy a new battery which who has every said they have to many batteries. ha
only thing that is weird is only about 30 cycles per battery
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

freddyms Posted at 2018-2-8 08:21
all three have been doing it from the fly more kit I bought last year. I will just buy a new battery which who has every said they have to many batteries. ha
only thing that is weird is only about 30 cycles per battery

Batteries are covered under warranty if less than 6 months from date of purchase and less than 200 recharge cycles - if you meet that then the replacements should be free. Contact DJI support and raise a case.
2018-2-8
Use props
freddyms
lvl.2
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-8 08:29
Batteries are covered under warranty if less than 6 months from date of purchase and less than 200 recharge cycles - if you meet that then the replacements should be free. Contact DJI support and raise a case.

yeah first I will do all the updates cause they will need that and fly it and see how it works
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

freddyms Posted at 2018-2-8 09:42
yeah first I will do all the updates cause they will need that and fly it and see how it works

Let us know how you get on!  Fingers crossed for you!
2018-2-8
Use props
freddyms
lvl.2
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-8 09:43
Let us know how you get on!  Fingers crossed for you!

I will. my last update was prob 9 months ago. the big reason was I seen was the follow me would go up to 33 miles a hour. which I would befit a lot from that. used to be only like 22 miles a hour. I can finally get some awesome wakeboarding footage now. well when the weather warms up
2018-2-8
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-8 05:38
Go into the battery section of the app and check what % the critical low battery auto landing will start at. The lowest is 10% but it seems yours may be set higher. Battery settings are set per battery - so put the battery in with the issue to check. If the problem still persists then ship it back if less than 6 months old for a new one.

Battery settings are set per battery

Am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that you can set different critical low battery warnings for each battery? Have one at maybe 20% and another at 30%?
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CycleParadise Posted at 2018-2-8 10:16
Battery settings are set per battery

Am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that you can set different critical low battery warnings for each battery? Have one at maybe 20% and another at 30%?

Yep - the slider above the low battery warning - minimum is 10% though for critical. You can increase it but why anyone would is beyond me! As I've never changed it from 10% I'm not too sure if that sets per each battery but the discharge days do for sure - you can set one to 3 days and another to 10 days for example and that stays so it may be the same for the other battery settings.
2018-2-8
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-8 10:18
Yep - the slider above the low battery warning - minimum is 10% though for critical. You can increase it but why anyone would is beyond me! As I've never changed it from 10% I'm not too sure if that sets per each battery but the discharge days do for sure - you can set one to 3 days and another to 10 days for example and that stays so it may be the same for the other battery settings.

Wow!! That's great information to know. Thanks for sharing.
2018-2-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CycleParadise Posted at 2018-2-8 11:04
Wow!! That's great information to know. Thanks for sharing.

No probs - I'm interested to see if the battery warning settings do stay the same myself now LOL Think I'll test this on the weekend.  
2018-2-8
Use props
freddyms
lvl.2
United States

so it works fine now. it was either updating it or discharging batteries below 5% but it didn't have any problem taking off at 50% battery level. now I need summer to get here and see how fast active track will go now. thanks for the info you guys.
2018-2-9
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-8 11:13
No probs - I'm interested to see if the battery warning settings do stay the same myself now LOL Think I'll test this on the weekend.

I'm interested in your results.

If this weekend goes well, I may be able to test the same... Will let you know if I do.
2018-2-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just updated the FW to the latest .300 and all looks good. Recalibrated everything too and all set for tomorrow! Will let you know
2018-2-9
Use props
freddyms
lvl.2
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-9 07:27
You mention you bought the kit last year.  Over time the batteries will begin to fail, especially if you left them setting for several months unused.  It's a good idea to  fully charge your batteries at least once a month & let the smart circuitry automatically discharge them down to storage level.

I'm in a similar situation with my P3 batteries which are now approaching 2.5 years old.  They charge fine, but when you put them under heavy load (full power climbs, max speed, etc..) they are unable to supply sufficient current for the load & go red.  If I back off on the throttle they settle back to green.  OK for close flight but not suitable for my preferred long-range missions.  Kicker is I have 8 of them to replace!

not with 30 cycles. my cordless drill is 5 yrs old and works fine and I don't use it that often either. both are lipos. most likely the batteries developed a memory and dropping them below 5% erased it. yay
2018-2-13
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Man i just dont agree with taking a lipo all the way down to 5%....does this actually work for dji batteries guys? Im so used to the 80/20 rule with my bigger heli lipos...but i know the dji batteries have smarts in them and probably have a reserve. So if it says its 0% it probably got 10 left in the tank....? Who knows
2018-2-13
Use props
freddyms
lvl.2
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-13 23:43
I'm happy cycling corrected the issue.  Thing about a drone vs. a drill is if your drill battery flakes out the drill may run a bit slower or for less time.  Your drone OTOH may fall from the sky or be forced to land far afield.

however you see it. mine are working fine now. that's what matters. its all good
2018-2-14
Use props
freddyms
lvl.2
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-13 23:57
Man i just dont agree with taking a lipo all the way down to 5%....does this actually work for dji batteries guys? Im so used to the 80/20 rule with my bigger heli lipos...but i know the dji batteries have smarts in them and probably have a reserve. So if it says its 0% it probably got 10 left in the tank....? Who knows

I agree. but it did resolve the issue I had. I do know when it hit 0% the drone stayed on for maybe a min and shut off
2018-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules