Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 2v falling out of the sky,no control of it? crashed 3x
3735 11 2014-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hoota1231
lvl.1

United States

Help! 3 times while flying my Phantom 2 vision brining it back down to land I lost control of motor speed, couldnt recover and it just crashed straight down to the ground!  what did I do wrong?   It happened so fast and I could not stop it, low wind speed. Help before I break the camera. I'm scared to fly it now.
2014-10-28
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

more info please.
what exactly happens?  does it wobble and drop fast? Do the motors just stop and it drops straight down?  Does it tilt and fly into the ground?........
Are you using prop guards? What AMSL altitude are you flying at?
2014-10-28
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

Are you going straight down when you descend? Using the prop guards?
Is it doing a wobbling dance before it drops?

Need a bit more info. If yes, you're probably experiencing Vortex Ring State (VRS).
VRS is when you descend straight down into your own prop wash (air pushed down by the blades).
This can cause the Phantom to start wobbling uncontrollably and descend straight to the ground.
Example here:

Best way to avoid VRS is to descend at an angle. So instead of straight down, also give it some forward movement (or back, left/right etc). This descends while staying away from the prop wash.

You can look out for VRS with early signs of the Phantom slowly wobbling or "stirring". It starts mild, but slowly gets worse until you have no control
Another video on how to attempt to escape VRS:

2014-10-28
Use props
ciminojim
lvl.1

United States

I'm having the same problem. Just started yesterday, unit is two months old, never had a problem before. Flying in phantom mode with gps at about 50% battery and 10 minutes of flight time, it just starts an uncontrolled descent. Led's are still flashing normal, no obvious changes, just comes down.
2014-10-28
Use props
ciminojim
lvl.1

United States

It is not VRS on mine, I moved it forward and to the side and it still kept coming down. Last time I had just stopped in a hover and was not bringing it down.
2014-10-28
Use props
hoota1231
lvl.1

United States

Cloud9 Posted at 2014-10-28 23:44
Are you going straight down when you bring it descend? Using the prop guards?
Is it doing a wobbling ...

Yes, I was coming about straight down little at time hovering but I couldn't while it was falling move it at all I had no control of it about 60 feet high when it happened, 1 time. The other times I was just hovering about  10-15 feet high and it just all of a sudden fell  2 times,I do have prop guards on but for some strange reason it just started doing this, I'm aware of  VRS but  if it was wobbling I guess I really didn't notice it as it happen so fast the R/C had no function I was about 30' away from it with fully charged battery in GPS mode. I have flow this many times before no problem's the same way before Ok.
2014-10-28
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

Did you add any weight recently?  Do the motors still turn when it drops ( the silence should be obvious)?  Was there wind?  what is your AMSL Alt?  Any indications from the LEDs when it drops?
2014-10-28
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Remove the prop guards!
They do more harm than good.
VRS, as far as I've read, does not happen gradually.
One second things are fine, the next the airframe is dropping...
2014-10-28
Use props
hoota1231
lvl.1

United States

swomilan Posted at 2014-10-29 04:44
Did you add any weight recently?  Do the motors still turn when it drops ( the silence should be obv ...

No extra weight, stock. Props where still turning but it seemed that I couldn't increase the speed as it wasn't set on full power and didn't  go full throttle, maybe it  is the prop guards causing it? But why just the last 3 different days this happened after landing a few times first, this happened? It just doesn't add up to me?  Also I could not move forward or backwards either out of falling, no response from remote control! I was about 60 feet high, just dropped straight down to the ground.    I just watched video on VRS now I'm sure that was the problem now as were calm day's!                                        Thank's everyone for the help!
2014-10-28
Use props
hoota1231
lvl.1

United States

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-29 04:49
Remove the prop guards!
They do more harm than good.
VRS, as far as I've read, does not happen gradu ...

I'll try removing them and see if it ever happen's again. But it's just strange that I flew it many times before OK, it only did this on my last 3 days of flying each day crashed, Weird.     VRS it is now,  I'm sure!
2014-10-28
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

Not asking how high above ground you had been,  I'm asking at what altitude above mean sea level are flying?  
VRS on a Phantom results in a uncontrollable side to side wobble,  increasing throttle makes things worse .Best thing to do go full directional stick to move the phantom sideways in order to slide out of it but you need some altitude to be able to do that.
2014-10-29
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Just thought...
Because you say you couldn't move forward or backward, reminds me of what happens during rapid descent -- i.e. Full down on throttle basically disables the other stick.  

Might be worthwhile to connect to Assistant software and confirm your tx throttle stick is behaving properly.  Perhaps, it's misbehaving, and in effect, intermittently applying full down.  

Probably not your issue, but easy to check.  Good luck!
2014-10-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules