DJI Goggle ventilation and fog during hot weather?
3573 8 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flanker271
lvl.2
United States

I've just purchased a Race Edition goggle.  The ergonomics seems okay, but I'm a bit concerned about ventilation (the lack of).  Since it is winter here in the U.S, my question is more geared toward our friends in the southern hemisphere.  Could you guys chime in as to whether the goggle will fog up during the summer?  There is a fan in the goggle but it is meant for cooling the electronics instead of ventilation.  The goggle creates a good seal around the face and I'm concerned the trapped air will get hot during the summer months.

Thanks.
2018-2-8
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

The goggles not so much, but your reading glasses will definitely fog up. This is, of course, familiar to all the folks who've been FPV'ing for a while with Fatsharks and etc., and there's not much you can do about it, especially if you live in a humid climate.

In the cold weather, you can kind of control it by not letting you glasses or the goggles get cold. I run the heater in the truck and heat everything up before putting it all on and go fly. In hot weather, you're just kind of screwed.

One option is to only fly when there's a strong wind - the wind will get under the seal and help defog things. That's what I do when the weather is hot, since there's always a 20mph wind anyway it works out pretty good.
2018-2-8
Use props
Flanker271
lvl.2
United States

This is good to know, thank you.  I wear glasses for nearsightedness so sounds like it'll be affected.  I'm not too fond of the Fatshark's narrow FOV and low resolution, hence I got the DJI RE goggle.  I fly freestyle.
2018-2-8
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Oh yeah the DJI's are a completely different universe better than Fatsharks and etc. No comparison, the image quality and gigantic FOV more than make up for it. If you're nearsighted, you might even be able to use them without your glasses at all. I'm farsighted so I have use Coke Bottle bottom glasses from Amazon to focus mine, but it's well worth the inconvenience .
2018-2-8
Use props
Flanker271
lvl.2
United States

luciens Posted at 2018-2-8 09:34
Oh yeah the DJI's are a completely different universe better than Fatsharks and etc. No comparison, the image quality and gigantic FOV more than make up for it. If you're nearsighted, you might even be able to use them without your glasses at all. I'm farsighted so I have use Coke Bottle bottom glasses from Amazon to focus mine, but it's well worth the inconvenience .

Yeah, I've heard how the lack of diopter adjustment on the DJI goggle can cause issue for folks who are farsighted and needed reading glasses.  This is a design flaw on DJI, hope they'll fix it with the v2 (if there is a v2).  For me, it seems my eyes are just slightly bad enough to be out of focus when not wearing my glasses with the goggle.  I can fly fine but could not read the OSD on the screen.  

I agreed, it's day and night difference compared to a Fatshark and is well worth the investment.  The Fatshark is not really that much cheaper either.  I hope there will be a firmware update to allow the goggle to remember the last setting when powered off.
2018-2-8
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Agree, or at least put some supplemental "focus fixers" in the box with the goggles . The reading glasses is a hack too, since you can only have parts of the screen in focus like the center and the edges kind of iffy, or the other way around.

There is a new firmware update that looks like it was posted today. I'm going near it with a 1000 foot pole though until there are some release notes, and even then only if it fixes anything major.
2018-2-8
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft
United States

Flanker271 Posted at 2018-2-8 10:20
Yeah, I've heard how the lack of diopter adjustment on the DJI goggle can cause issue for folks who are farsighted and needed reading glasses.  This is a design flaw on DJI, hope they'll fix it with the v2 (if there is a v2).  For me, it seems my eyes are just slightly bad enough to be out of focus when not wearing my glasses with the goggle.  I can fly fine but could not read the OSD on the screen.  

I agreed, it's day and night difference compared to a Fatshark and is well worth the investment.  The Fatshark is not really that much cheaper either.  I hope there will be a firmware update to allow the goggle to remember the last setting when powered off.

This might help you out : https://store.dji.com/product/dj ... ve-lenses?vid=36901

I ordered them and should be here in the mail tomorrow. I'll let you know if it makes the view clearer, since I also wear reading glasses.
2018-2-11
Use props
luciens
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ok keep me posted. I believe it's Chinese new year so DJI China is on holiday, and it'll be a while before I can order a pair myself. But in the meantime a report would be nice
2018-2-12
Use props
Drowzall
lvl.1
United States

I am having awful fogging issues. Maybe its just me but I use the Focus Fixers and have also tried the DJI corrective lenses, both fog up in under a minute. The quality of the googles is excellent and is just fantastic until they fog up. I have tried three different anti-fog products as well as the shaving gel option to no avail. I have tried taping the rubber face seal to let in air but obviously it also lets in light. Not sure if the corrective lenses because they are closer to the eye is causing the issue. Thinking about returning the goggles because they are basically useless to me.
2018-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules