Have our videos lost their WOW factor ?
1154 17 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Is it jsut me or are we starting to get Cinematic Fatigue with our videos now?

I used to love seeing all the footage people shot, amazed at this new perspective that was never this easy to take.  But the more videos I see, the more complacent I’m getting.   I think i’ve seen anough overhead waves, rising cliffs, reveals from behind trees, 360 pans..etc.   

Don’t get me wrong, I still love my footage :-) LOL.  But i’m not getting wowed like I used to.

Is it just me and my incredibly short attention span or is cinematic photography the new norm ?  The nerds answer to Selfies ?
2018-2-8
Use props
Ram-UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same problem as my footage doesn’t give the wow factor. Hence don’t upload any here. I am learning to fly my drone now and will experiment with capturing footage.
2018-2-8
Use props
warubikku
First Officer
Flight distance : 1592264 ft
United States

N to the O on that, i'm actually shocked sometimes that i took the footage i did
2018-2-8
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

i think you are ready for the next level: Mavic Air )
2018-2-8
Use props
Smark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80089 ft
United States

It does feel more commonplace, to me, but I still really enjoy it! It is about the first time in my life that I have pics that people actually want to look at. LOL!
2018-2-8
Use props
SkyBug2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487566 ft
United States

I am guilty of only flying my spark for the s-mode fun factor. The P4P is my dedicated go to cam
2018-2-8
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Smark Posted at 2018-2-8 13:28
It does feel more commonplace, to me, but I still really enjoy it! It is about the first time in my life that I have pics that people actually want to look at. LOL!

lol.  Good point.  I still love my videos....and generally new people seem to enjoy my videos (or pretend to), but i think for people on this site, it's getting a bit Ho Hum.
2018-2-8
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

The WOW factor is still there for newbies and bystanders. But after this and that yeah, +1 for sports mode.
2018-2-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

It becomes more and more important, WHAT you (can) capture! The 100 sunset @ the home city is still only the 100 sunset @ the home city!
2018-2-8
Use props
"onmouseover='alert(1);
lvl.1

Bangladesh

https://google.com\\'onmouseover='prompt(1)'
http://"onerror="confirm(1337);
http://"onerror="confirm1337

2018-2-8
Use props
DylanR2011
lvl.2
Flight distance : 148596 ft
United States

Drones are becoming a better and better quality device and getting lower and lower priced. At this point it's literally easy for anybody to take a drone and get a phenomenal shot. The shots are still phenomenal by far but more people doing it means that you have to be more creative in your shot to stand out as most people are seeing the same style of shots over and over again.
I'm still not at that point being a newby and amazed by any shot I can get and learning how to keep something smooth and cinematic but I'll definitely eventually get there sometime!
2018-2-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think there is a couple of factors contributing to that.
1. New things are only new for a short period of time (and many loose interest soon)
2. It takes a lot of time to create decent footage, so it has to fit into a busy agenda
3. More drones = more footage = less 'wow'.

Just my 3 cents
2018-2-8
Use props
bdge
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90069 ft
United Kingdom

I've been thinking the same recently.

Also, while watching documentaries etc. I am noticing a lot more shots that I now know are drone shots, which previously I'd not have given much thought to how they got the shot. And so I'm now thinking 'Hey I could do that'.

None of this reduces the fun factor for me, but yes it is getting harder to Wow! myself.

2018-2-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You’ll go through these stages in the hobby then find you niche - I like videos but anything more than two minutes and I start getting twitchy unless it is really impressive. I focus on stills more than video now.
2018-2-9
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
United States

bdge Posted at 2018-2-9 03:08
I've been thinking the same recently.

Also, while watching documentaries etc. I am noticing a lot more shots that I now know are drone shots, which previously I'd not have given much thought to how they got the shot. And so I'm now thinking 'Hey I could do that'.  

Oh yes, even hollywood,.bollywood, ...., all are using more and more aerials in almost every movie or show.
Kind of killing it!
It is more and more about location, methinks
2018-2-9
Use props
Grmachine
lvl.4
United States

The wow for me totally depends on the location, the color quality, and the editing.  The Art is the key for me.
2018-2-9
Use props
Linny&HerSpark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20830 ft
United States

The videos that capture my attention are short (about 2-3 minutes), show smooth camera movement, and have some variety to them. By variety, I mean not only do they focus on a main subject, they also show the viewer the surroundings. Seeing a scene cinematically to put together into a composition is going to take some growing pains. People are learning and they post their attempts here for feedback. Any visual art also is subjective. What makes you say "wow" isn't necessarily going to make someone else react the same way.
2018-2-9
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Linny&HerSpark Posted at 2018-2-9 07:24
The videos that capture my attention are short (about 2-3 minutes), show smooth camera movement, and have some variety to them. By variety, I mean not only do they focus on a main subject, they also show the viewer the surroundings. Seeing a scene cinematically to put together into a composition is going to take some growing pains. People are learning and they post their attempts here for feedback. Any visual art also is subjective. What makes you say "wow" isn't necessarily going to make someone else react the same way.

yes...completely agree.  The challenge is to keep improving, to keep learning.  I’m a beginner at videography...i’ve Improved a heap in the last few weeks...but the bar keeps getting raised.   I look back at some of my early videos and see so many issues and end up re-editing them
2018-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules