Remote control calibration relating to fly aways
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4fc35b0c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 299511 ft
New Zealand

I have recently acquired a Phantom 4 Advanced plus with the remote with built in screen. Have set everything up as per the manual, but noticed during remote control calibration that the right hand joystick would move between 100% and 0% flawlessly in the vertical axis, but when pressing left on the horizontal axis, it will get to 100%, but on controlled release to centre, only returns to between 60 and 80%. The right hand side of the horizontal axis correctly calibrates to 100% at full right back to 0% on controlled return (as opposed to just allowing the joystick to flick back from full right position). I tried this multiple times, but couldn't get much better results over time - it seemed to randomly give better readings and then would revert to these readings seemingly indicating the joystick was not returning anywhere near to a 0% value position (I have had it return to 0%, but only by allowing it to 'flick' back from full left position, in which case it is likely registering a reading to the right of the joystick centre momentarily which would possibly be giving a false reading for the left side range). Fast forward to my first 3 outings with the unit; on the first take off of each outing, the unit lifted from the air beautifully, then veered right and flew 40 odd metres away before I could re-gain control over it. I thought this may have been related to a faulty compass setting or not waiting for sufficient satelites to connect, but waiting for 14 plus satellites didn't seem to improve that initial lift off stability and control. Its not in beginner mode. Will keep testing in large open spaces, but keen to be able to operate confidently in slightly less open spaces.

Just wanted to ask if anyone has experienced the same issue, and whether they found  an easy/logical fix that I've somehow missed. Dealer has offered to check it at their premises, might be best option at this stage?

thanks
2018-2-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I would talk to your dealer and have the RC unit replaced. You really do not have to deal with a faulty unit.
2018-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

As GB says, that doesn't sound normal at all.
It's probably a simple matter to check the recorded flight data to see if the incident can be attributed to the controller, compass or something else.

Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.
2018-2-8
Use props
fans4fc35b0c
lvl.2
New Zealand

Labroides Posted at 2018-2-8 18:13
As GB says, that doesn't sound normal at all.
It's probably a simple matter to check the recorded flight data to see if the incident can be attributed to the controller, compass or something else.

thank you, will upload flight data on return from current trip
2018-2-8
Use props
fans4fc35b0c
lvl.2
New Zealand

fans4fc35b0c Posted at 2018-2-8 18:22
thank you, will upload flight data on return from current trip

An update - I took the unit into the dealer who confirmed in about 30 seconds the remote was faulting and couldn't be calibrated; it was repaired and returned and been perfect since; thanks Labroides and fans4fc35b0c for your input; cheers!
2018-4-24
Use props
fans4fc35b0c
lvl.2
New Zealand

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-8 17:51
I would talk to your dealer and have the RC unit replaced. You really do not have to deal with a faulty unit.

thanks Geebax, returned the remote control, definitely a faulty unit, appreciate your input
2018-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules