How to remove Mavic Air stock lens filter?
16500 37 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Beau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 345092 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yippy, Mavic Air.
Yippy, Polar Pro Filters arrived!

Aw WTF how do you get the stock lens filter off the wimpy little bouncy bendy camera?
2018-2-8
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Mine (PP Cinema Series, Shutter Collection) are inbound & due to be delivered Saturday, so I'm keenly interested in any answers you get. If all else fails, I'll contribute my own experience later that night!
2018-2-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi Beau,
Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.
For further help, could you please provide us with more details to check? Are you using the filters that belongs to the Mavic Air? And could you provide a photo or a video showing the issue?
Thank you for your support and understanding.
2018-2-8
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hold the gimbal firmly in one hand and unscrew the lens ring with the other. Use latex gloves, tape, rubber band, anything to give you a better grip. Do NOT squeeze it very hard, it's  pretty thin and if you squeeze it too hard it will make it not perfectly round and more difficult to unscrew,
2018-2-8
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

This should help..
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... amp;fromuid=1509154
2018-2-8
Use props
Beau
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-2-8 18:14
Hi Beau,
For further help, could you please provide us with more details to check? Are you using the filters that belongs to the Mavic Air? And could you provide a photo or a video showing the issue?

Sure... in order to get a good shutter speed for "pro" video, one must lower the shutter speed. Therefore, ND filters are needed. I have 3 Polar Pro ND filters standing by ready to go. The only thing in the way is the already screwed on stock lens filter on the Mavic Air. It must come off so the other filters may screw on.

When I try to unscrew the stock lens filter, nothing happens. Applying more force or pressure feels like the little camera is bending too far and may break.
2018-2-8
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

It's not a lens filter in the Mavic Air. It's just a lens barrel. When you remove it counter clockwise, the glass stays on the Mavic Air's camera.
2018-2-8
Use props
Beau
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

No Man's Drone Posted at 2018-2-8 19:01
It's not a lens filter in the Mavic Air. It's just a lens barrel. When you remove it counter clockwise, the glass stays on the Mavic Air's camera.

Oh ok. So that thing isn't moving.
2018-2-9
Use props
fans1791d4a8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115778 ft
United States

Beau Posted at 2018-2-9 08:51
Oh ok. So that thing isn't moving.

I have the same issue......   seems like DJI have glued that damn thing on!!!
2018-4-14
Use props
CF-MEA
lvl.1
United States

Any suggestions other than a rubber band?  That doesn't work in my case.....  it's like that component was glued on by DJI!!!
2018-4-14
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

fans1791d4a8 Posted at 2018-4-14 11:53
I have the same issue......   seems like DJI have glued that damn thing on!!!

For me a rubber band did the job after many tries. Just read the other posts and threads on the same topic and keep on trying patiently. Sooner or later you will succeed, but I agree, it's a bit tricky...
2018-4-14
Use props
Fabic
lvl.4
Brazil

Hi
After several attempts and much fear I got ... I took a small pliers and did not have to do much force ...
2018-4-14
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Use three fingers spread around the lens evenly and with even pressure try and screw it off.  I have seen so many posts about this lately it seems DJI is really tightening on the stock lens very tight.  
2018-4-14
Use props
CF-MEA
lvl.1
United States

Hey Beau, did you ever get it off?  I'm struggling with mine, and worried that I'll break the gimbal....
2018-4-14
Use props
CF-MEA
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-2-8 18:14
Hi Beau,

Hey DHI Paladin,

What's up with the excessively tight lens ring????  I can't install my ND filters until I get this off, and it's on so tight I'm worried that I'm going to break the gimbal.  Is this some kind of test???

Bruce
2018-4-14
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

CF-MEA Posted at 2018-4-14 14:15
Hey DHI Paladin,

What's up with the excessively tight lens ring????  I can't install my ND filters until I get this off, and it's on so tight I'm worried that I'm going to break the gimbal.  Is this some kind of test???

Surgical type latex gloves works well for a better grip, I ended up warming up the bezel with a hair dryer, only takes a little bit of warmth, the bezel will expand releasing it's grip, came off very easy once warmed up a little. Just make sure you hold and stabilize the gimbal while removing it.
2018-4-14
Use props
AndyThilo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9186 ft
United Kingdom

I used the flat USB cable that comes with the Mavic. Just make a loop around the lens and turn. Came off really easily.
2018-4-19
Use props
Roy.Faltesek
lvl.1

United States

Fabic Posted at 2018-4-14 12:58
Hi
After several attempts and much fear I got ... I took a small pliers and did not have to do much force ...

After trying for several minutes, with bare fingers, three fingers, rubber band and rubber jar opener,  nothing. I finally tried a rubber band with pliers and, as stated, did not have to use much force to break it loose. I had considered pliers, but was hesitant to use them until I saw that someone else had done so, so thanks...
2018-4-21
Use props
EVERFR0ST
New
Finland

I managed to remove the lens ring with a rubber band and Park Tool MLP-1.2 Bicycle Master Link Pliers. They were just perfectly sized for the lens.
https://www.parktool.com/product/master-link-pliers-mlp-1-2
2018-4-27
Use props
fans85cbcad8
lvl.2
Israel

I struggled mightily for a couple of hours!  It came right off when I applied EVEN PRESSURE around the lens cover.  I did this by using 3 fingers, not 2.  Simple but important difference for me!!
2018-4-27
Use props
secavrx
New
Switzerland

AndyThilo Posted at 2018-4-19 07:38
I used the flat USB cable that comes with the Mavic. Just make a loop around the lens and turn. Came off really easily.

This worked amazingly well for me! I had tried using a rubber band and tape with no success.
I just used the wide, grippy USB cable that comes with the drone, wrapped it around the bezel and turned counterclockwise by holding the cable further down and not around the bezel. The trick is to not hold the part that wraps around the bezel, but rather pinch the cable around the bezel and hold the cable together further out. This creates a nice lever effect while also applying even pressure around the bezel without squeezing too hard.
Great idea, thanks again!
2018-5-1
Use props
brianoflondon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1163743 ft
Israel

I have a small rubber tube I use for taking the shell off garlic: that worked for me. After the first time it's easy, I'll never screw it back on as tight as it came from the factory.
2018-5-3
Use props
tomsky
New
United Kingdom

Finally a solution that worked, spent ages trying to get the stupid thing of and this method was really easy and worked first time. Thanks!
2018-5-7
Use props
vxvideo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28475371 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rubber band and plyers... mine was very tight also and just my fingers wasn't enough.  You don't have to squeeze hard, but you the extra grip of the plyers is very helpful.
2018-5-28
Use props
eliasibnz
lvl.2

brianoflondon Posted at 2018-5-3 08:05
I have a small rubber tube I use for taking the shell off garlic: that worked for me. After the first time it's easy, I'll never screw it back on as tight as it came from the factory.[view_image]

And even better: Now you Mavic Air is impervious to vampires
2018-5-30
Use props
Dracor
lvl.1

Thank you all for the great advice! Three fingers and even pressure finally work for me.

2018-6-12
Use props
djiuser_pObMAUQgZar9
New

France

Same  problem.  The USB flat  cable  worked  great  !
2018-6-15
Use props
TonyTug
lvl.1
United States

DJI on-line chat support just offered me this video:   

I put on a latex glove for added grip,  and using the three finger method of holding,  I firmly twisted the cap anti-clockwise and off it came!  
2018-6-26
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

CF-MEA Posted at 2018-4-14 12:01
Any suggestions other than a rubber band?  That doesn't work in my case.....  it's like that component was glued on by DJI!!!

I used a latex glove, like the ones for surgery. You have to apply quite a bit more force that it looks safe, but if you hold the gimbal with the other hand, you should be safe.

Once you open it properly, you'll never face the same problem again, but the first time is hard.
2018-6-27
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Bokepacha Posted at 2018-6-27 01:06
I used a latex glove, like the ones for surgery. You have to apply quite a bit more force that it looks safe, but if you hold the gimbal with the other hand, you should be safe.

Once you open it properly, you'll never face the same problem again, but the first time is hard.

Your last sentence made me giggle if you read it out of context.
2018-6-27
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

saviour Posted at 2018-6-27 01:49
Your last sentence made me giggle if you read it out of context.

Hahahahahaha
2018-6-27
Use props
Timucua Forest
lvl.1
Flight distance : 98986 ft
United States

a rubber glove worked for me ... be sure to turn counter clockwise for off
2018-7-10
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United Kingdom

.Deleted

2018-7-10
Use props
ruggbg
lvl.2
United States

My 3D printer comes in handy to print a wrench. It sure was on there tight. Overkill, but the wrench worked.
2018-11-29
Use props
MOTIONTRACKER77
New
New Zealand

AndyThilo Posted at 4-19 07:38

This also worked perfectly for me too, by far the easiest and safest option. Also its worth noting the PP ND filters dont tighten all the way on either (which is probably for the best)
2018-12-24
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hold the camera and be very gentle. If you have sausage fingers, ask your Wife or Girlfriend. Same with the Phantom, gentleness is the key.
2018-12-26
Use props
djiuser_lOlFK6x3VV0f
lvl.2
United States

I had the same problem. Thought I would break it trying to remove. I eventually got it off. Make sure you are turning it counter clockwise. With no power to the drone, use one hand to grip the camera (and drone) and turn with the other.
2018-12-26
Use props
O Ynot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 220079 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for this tip. I tried gripping with three fingers to remove the ring - no chance. It came off without any problem using the usb cable. Awesome!
2020-2-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules