Mavic Air gimbal and aircraft yaw control with Goggles
3744 16 2018-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DPANDJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19219 ft
United States

Hello, I am new to DJI products.  I was wondering if anyone else who has connected the dji goggles to the mavic air have experienced the same problem I have which is I can control the gimbal tilt (up and down only), but not the gimbal yaw or aircraft yaw.  Additionally, the function to "reset motion control" is not accessible when connected to the air, I think this has to do with the yaw control.  The manual states that the goggls can control both gimbal yaw and flight control.

I had absolutely the worst customer support experience of my entire life trying to get answers from someone who didn't know the first thing about how the system worked, insulted my intelligence, and told me that he was the most knowledgable person in the company.  He was literally thumbing through the consumer manual, searching youtube for third party videos on how to connect the goggles, and trying to get me to plug the goggles into the side port on the remote (with the 2 inch cord).

I finally spoke to someone else who was slightly more knowledgable and was nicer, he basically told me that while it doesn't work, it's probably a bug and that I should wait for the next update.  

So my question is, if it's a firmware bug, wouldn't everyone be having the same issue?  I feel like support is blowing me off, I also have other issues and they literally did not resolve a single one of them.
2018-2-8
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sorry for the unexpected experience. The new firmware of goggles is coming and it will support Mavic Air. Please upgrade your Goggles then and keep us updated, thanks for your support.
2018-2-9
Use props
DPANDJ
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-9 01:39
Sorry for the unexpected experience. The new firmware of goggles is coming and it will support Mavic Air. Please upgrade your Goggles then and keep us updated, thanks for your support.

Ok, thanks I will take a look.  The customer service experience was not unexpected, it was unacceptable, but I appreciate your reply.
2018-2-9
Use props
DPANDJ
lvl.1
United States

Can some users who have connected please let me know if this is an issue you are having too?  I am not in agreement that the goggles simply need a firmware update.
2018-2-10
Use props
DPANDJ
lvl.1
United States

Hi DJI Elektra, an update for you.  The firmware update now allows for "head tracking flight mode" which is half of what I was expecting.

Unfortunately, the "head tracking gimbal" mode does not work as advertised.  It is supposed to turn the gimbal left or right 30 degrees, however this does not work at all.

Can someone at DJI please tell me exactly whether my unit is defective or not.  I do indeed expect it to have the features that are advertised, and tech support has been very subpar, they do not have the most basic of knowledge on the system, literally.  It is very sad.  Please put me in touch with someone who can help, it would be much appreciated.
2018-2-10
Use props
DPANDJ
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra, this is a quote for another user on this forum:

"Haven't tried that yet.  I tried the gimbal mode and that worked, but didn't try the yaw mode yet..."

So it looks like my unit must be defective, because I have the most current firmware.
2018-2-10
Use props
DPANDJ
lvl.1
United States

Customer service with DJI is epically bad.  I wish I had recorded the conversations.  It is an embarassment.  I wish I had not purchased this thing.  I continue to have additional issues.  If I put the camera in Pano mode, I suddenly lose all camera control.  I sometimes lose sport mode completely.  It drifts suddenly for no reason.  Sometimes the range and height is arbitrarilly restricted even though I am connected with the remote and phone on full RC mode with Go4 app.  So, basically, I spend more time landing and restarting it, wasting half of a battery than I do actually getting to enjoy use of it.  I have zero faith in customer service with DJI, It is literally pointless to bring issues up with them.  They don't care one bit.  I seriously doubt I will buy anything from DJI ever again.
2018-2-11
Use props
DPANDJ
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra, you have stopped your assistance and ignored my questions and updates.  I am not really surprised, seems par for the course so far with support of DJI products.  I am keeping all of my failed attempts to get help and organizing them to show others what they too can expect.
2018-2-12
Use props
djiuser_YAyAvqgllm6s
lvl.1
United States

MY GIMBAL DOESN'T YAW EITHER WITH THE GOGGLES.  AFTER MOST RECENT UPDATE...THE GIMBAL DOES TILT(LOOKING FORWARD AND LEAN YOUR HEAD ON YOUR SHOULDER AND THE PICTURE TILTS) ALSO GOES UP/DOWN,
BUT DOES NOT TURN AIRCRAFT OR GIMBAL LEFT OR RIGHT.
MY QUESTION IS, WILL THERE BE ANOTHER UPDATE TO FIREWARE THAT WILL ALLOW GIMBAL/ AIRCRAFT TO YAW LEFT AND RIGHT WITH GOGGLES ?
2018-2-13
Use props
TallTeef
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_YAyAvqgllm6s Posted at 2018-2-13 08:00
MY GIMBAL DOESN'T YAW EITHER WITH THE GOGGLES.  AFTER MOST RECENT UPDATE...THE GIMBAL DOES TILT(LOOKING FORWARD AND LEAN YOUR HEAD ON YOUR SHOULDER AND THE PICTURE TILTS) ALSO GOES UP/DOWN,
BUT DOES NOT TURN AIRCRAFT OR GIMBAL LEFT OR RIGHT.
MY QUESTION IS, WILL THERE BE ANOTHER UPDATE TO FIREWARE THAT WILL ALLOW GIMBAL/ AIRCRAFT TO YAW LEFT AND RIGHT WITH GOGGLES ?

Having the same issue.  Tilt up and down works but not left or right.  Frustrating as you can see in the googles display that its tracking my head left and right, just not communicating it to the Air or the Air just isn't responding to those commands.  

Seems like a core part of putting them in a package together is that they should work together as advertised.
2018-2-17
Use props
victorgo3
lvl.2

Singapore

Actually, for goggle experience, please use Mavic Pro which is what the goggle is made for. All other drones are a compromise with the USB cable attached to it.
2018-2-19
Use props
DPANDJ
lvl.1
United States

victorgo3 Posted at 2018-2-19 19:27
Actually, for goggle experience, please use Mavic Pro which is what the goggle is made for. All other drones are a compromise with the USB cable attached to it.

you know, it says it is supposed to work for gimbal yaw but it doesn't.  That's not my fault.  I purchased the item based on false information
2018-2-19
Use props
DPANDJ
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra, I have replied multiple times to your comment requesting an update and you continue to ignore me.  I am astonished by the poor customer support with this outfit.  I will never buy another DJI product, I don't care how much market share you enjoy.
2018-2-19
Use props
JAY-DIZZLE-DUCK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 755807 ft
Canada

I am also having an issue with the horizontal yaw on gimble control. I purchased the mavic air and googles with the miss advertised info that this was a feature. Please let me know when the update will address this major flaw. These goggles are not cheap so need to make sure they are fully working as advertised. Thanks Jay
2018-2-23
Use props
BathinGDucK
New

Hong Kong

Is there any update on the fix, DJI admin?
2018-3-2
Use props
WILL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9324 ft
United Kingdom

https://forum.dji.com/thread-130932-1-1.html

Bit more info re goggle R.E Mavic air
2018-3-3
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI has never done well with answering the details of how exactly things are supposed to work and seem to prefer to let users work it out in the forums.  It sucks because we never know exactly what to expect functionally in a product.  Add in the firmware updates and we're often left wondering - is it a firmware thing, is it supposed to work this way, and my favorite, is it even broken?

This gimbal has a max pan from left to right of 24°or 12° either direction.  The Controllable range doesn't include pan.  Pan on the MA is used for image stabilization only.  So this leaves two options.  Up and down tilt will work but not pan.  OR tilt works as normal while pan works by turning (yawing) the aircraft left or right.  The option to do either would be preferable.   Also, questions  answered such as whether the aircraft yaw results in a turn or does it keep flying a straight line from stick input.  The Goggles in the case of the MA also act as the Go App using the USB cable to connect to the controller, not wirelessly to the aircraft.  So you should expect about the same range with goggles as without.  Will we know the answers, probably only when we get outside, test and post results.  

In my case, I have the M2P.  I attempted to use the Goggles RE (which connect wirelessly to the aircraft rather than USB to the controller) and had some strange results in the short time I had to play around.  The head tracking worked, including yaw but it was turning the aircraft not the gimbal.  The M2P has a true panable gimbal (75° either direction) but was yawing the aircraft rather than only panning the gimbal.  I don't want it to work that way, I want the aircraft to respond to the sticks and the gimbal to the goggles. This could be a setting thing, I'll find out Sunday I think.  Second, occasionally the gimbal would pan - and then get stuck looking left or right.  Had to return to home once with the gimbal looking at the right prop with no control of the gimbal.  Last, range was an issue with my RE version as reported in other threads.  Again, could be a setting thing.  

It's a new product still on a early FW revision.  Let's see what improvements they make and hope we get some answers to the minutia.  Good luck and keep us posted.
2019-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules