1414 8 2015-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

In the past, I flew real aircrafts (Cessna 150, Diamond DA-40) and when it was no more possible for me (too expensive), I flew RC copter (Raptor 90), airplanes and electric gliders.Passionate about photography and aerial photography, I have followed the Phantom 3 annoucement.
And since then, I have seen almost all Youtube videos about the P3, a lot of videos about the Inspire 1 (in my mind the P3 is more a little Inspire 1 than an updated P2V+), videos about the P2 flyaways, read the Inspire 1 and P2V+ manuals and downloaded the Pilot App on my iPad Air (version 1, Wifi+ Cellular).

And yesterday I decided it was time to have my first ever quadcopter and placed the order for a P3P on a french online store. It is now on its way to my home.
But I'm quite disappointed on several points :
- iOS app not available while a lot of people have now the P3 in their hands (it is like receiving a new car without the key to drive it) !!
- no lens cap !!
- no user manual in the box (ok it is now available for download but anyway...)
- poor communication (no backpack as mentionned by M. Perry, wrong answers from support, ...)
- a lot of bad stories about customer support- unable to activate skypixel account using the provided link in the confirmation email (error 403)
and finally a lot of "available later" but how to trust all this promises ?

I have no doubt guys from DJI on this forum and on other forum do their very best to help (answering a lot of "stupid" questions you can answer yourself everywhere on the product page or in Youtube videos should be harassing) but all of this is really amateurism and not worthy of a big company like DJI for a worldwide product launch !

Just hope my first flight will not be as chaotic as this new product launch.

PS : sorry for my poor english which is not my language.

2015-4-29
Use props
amstaff_loyalty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 546752 ft
Sweden

So if I understand you correct you had rather waited another two weeks on the app update and then have your phantom shipped?
2015-4-29
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

I learned about the iOS app problem after I placed the order (one hour later or so).
Anyway the problem is not for my Phantom being ordered before or after this problem raises on several forum : even without a lens cap, an iOS app not yet available I would have order it anyway.
It is just the way DJI manage a worldwide launch which seems strange to me. If I behaved this way with my customers (I'm self employed) I would lost all of them...
2015-4-29
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ulysse Posted at 2015-4-30 00:01
I learned about the iOS app problem after I placed the order (one hour later or so).
Anyway the prob ...

You must be that one perfect person the world has been searching for!

I've been a consultant for many years and before that in retail, importing, distribution and manufacturing. I've made lots of mistakes and many products have been launched late - and even been defective.

I've written owners manuals in some cases well after the release of a new model....because I had to have the unit in my hands (and warehouse, since they came by the container) before I could write them....

Here is some good advice. This hobby is still in the pioneer phase.....about like the Internet was in 1996. Back then it took a LOT of dedication to even get online let alone to find good stuff. But I was stubborn - just like with this hobby - and it ended up paying off (I made a living online since)....

DJI is right in-between being a small company and growing to beat the band. Tens of thousands of steps are required to bring a product like this to market - they probably goofed on a few.

If the unit works after the app is released and the first basic problems can be fixed through firmware and software I will consider it a decent launch. Either way I have one.....and as a pioneer, I sometimes expect the unexpected.
2015-4-29
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

Certainly not perfect... but respectful of my customers without any doubt ! And when a customer ask me to install a "nearly" finished software (I'm a software developper) my answer is always the same : NO.  I prefer to delay the installation in order to avoid as most problems as possible and give my customer the best experience.

This is the big problem in these "modern" days : everybody think now it is normal for new products not to be as perfect as possible, not finished ("available later") or not being delivered as advertised. Sorry but this is not my way of life !!

How would you react if you buy a new Tesla (a young growing company isn't it ?) and you receive it without the wheels ? Would you be happy with this ? Being a small or growing company is not an excuse. You wrote "they probably goofed on a few" : don't you think the app is a major piece of the puzzle ? As important as the P3 itself ?
You know, sometimes airplanes full of people fall from the sky because a technician probably goofed on few things...

Back to the Phantom 3 subject, of course nobody will be killed.
Lens cap or not, printed manual or not, delayed app or not I would have order it anyway. It is a very nice "tool" (not a toy) at a very affordable price.

My post was just about my feelings about this and I think it is my right to express it (even in an approximative english).
I'm still in business with my small company because I listen to my customers to improve myself. Believe me I had absolutely no intent to bash DJI at all.
2015-4-29
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I agree with Ulysse but also see the other side. DJI is a great company, young but haven't quite got it together.  They create fantastic “objects of desire” but there are little details.... I think they are trying really hard.   It would be nice if they got it all right but on the other hand don't they make fantastic products.  So Ulysse is correct but personally I will put up with a few bumps.
2015-4-29
Use props
ericthemagicman
lvl.1

United States

If anyone is still looking for some lens caps for the phantom 3, I now stock them in my store. Perfect fit with pull tabs, rubber construction for great flexability, 3 colors to choose from: White, Black, and Translucent Red. 2x for 10 bucks shipped.

http://limitlessaerialsystems.co ... ver-flexible-rubber
2015-5-9
Use props
brianmlevy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2441663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The App is available. I can promise you, the Phantom 3 is a brilliant aircraft. I have had a couple of flight ti mine so far. I also have an Inspire 1. The camera quality is excellent. Have fun!
2015-5-10
Use props
dmwierz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

Eric, thanks for your link, mate. Just ordered translucent red.

UPDATE: apparently I have NOT placed an order. Order placement occured as usual, but when I noticed I had not received a confirmation from your site OR PayPal I checked, and the charge never went through and your site is now listing these as "out of stock". Grrrrrrrr........

2015-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules