Stress cracks arms(airvents) due to latest fw update?
2542 56 2018-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-2-15 14:57
"A lot of people" is actually a very relative statement. We have 50 or so cases reported and documented here or on YouTube (didn't really count them, just my guess based on 3 yrs worth experience) ... That may translate to 500, perhaps even 5000 not publicized cases of cracked shell, fixed by warranty repair or by users (including myself) ... That hypothetical assumption will make the issue irrelevant, considering ridiculous affordability of Phantom class drones and 7 figure number of sold items worldwide. IMHO, naturally ...

Mathew
Concerning “stress” cracks
I tell you 1 is already enough.
You probably do not work in the airline industry , if this happens there 50 x within a year probably  there will be panic at the manufacturers.
But count yourself lucky and hope you will not get them.
2018-2-15
Use props
fansb2edd25e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 736775 ft
United States

This is a design flaw.  as noted is has nothing to do with firmware.   I had the same issue and never had hard landings.    I sort of look at it this way.   If you're in your car, and you apply the brakes to your brand new car and the engine falls out of the car, I would thank that point to a design or construction.   My cracked in exactly the same place, at least it sound that way based on your description.  DJI did replace the drone.
2018-2-16
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cheers chap, i do check after every session
2018-2-16
Use props
dronybaloney
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I just received the news , that dji is going to repair the shell under warrantly , yes!!!
Now i dont know once received back if i should downgrade back to .602 fw? As i still think the latest fw is causing trembling of engine upon startup and landing.
2018-2-16
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

I have never seen what the Phantom 4 Pro looks like with the shell off/opened.  Does anyone know what or if there is a metal or plastic substructure under the shell that reinforce the struts/arms?  I guess my question really is how likely is it that the stress cracks could cause catastrophic failure and completely break in half?  Thanks in advance for the information.
2018-2-26
Use props
tompahr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1653848 ft
Croatia

As you can see on provided video it is all plastic!!!
2018-2-27
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

tompahr Posted at 2018-2-27 00:10
As you can see on provided video it is all plastic!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFIkNnQoBOQ

Thanks for posting this.
2018-2-27
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

tompahr Posted at 2018-2-27 00:10
As you can see on provided video it is all plastic!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFIkNnQoBOQ

Good stuff!  
2018-3-2
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Best i order a gross of new  shells the lower shell which suffers cracks looks simple to change
2018-3-2
Use props
bernardren07
Second Officer
Flight distance : 48504 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Hi. I think is not firmware. believed that must be use high speed like EXP. Can i know how fast u use EXP? For me trottle 20%, left/right 25%, forward/back 20%. low speed and smooth to prevent crack easily. I cant said 100% true. I tested RC used to trottle up and have little vibrate strong. Need to wait DJI to solve the problem crack arm.
2018-3-3
Use props
djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg
lvl.3

Philippines

Hey guys I'm making a thread on how to make the phantom plastic airframe  crack free.
2018-3-3
Use props
tompahr
lvl.4
Croatia

bernardren07 Posted at 2018-3-3 02:25
Hi. I think is not firmware. believed that must be use high speed like EXP. Can i know how fast u use EXP? For me trottle 20%, left/right 25%, forward/back 20%. low speed and smooth to prevent crack easily

Would not agree with you! Any limitation (gain, expo ...) should be stated in the instruction! It's like buying a car of 200 HP that fall apart at 110 km/h!
2018-3-3
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

bernardren07 Posted at 2018-3-3 02:25
Hi. I think is not firmware. believed that must be use high speed like EXP. Can i know how fast u use EXP? For me trottle 20%, left/right 25%, forward/back 20%. low speed and smooth to prevent crack easily. I cant said 100% true. I tested RC used to trottle up and have little vibrate strong. Need to wait DJI to solve the problem crack arm.

I have my P4P for more than a year now. Occasionally I fly VERY sportive, usually in ATTI mode.
Gives me more speed than SPORT mode.
Today I set my personal record at 103 km/h or 64mp/h. I admit: Some tailwind was involved.
I sometimes like to fly like I was on a race track. Hard turns at full speed, everything...
After more than 570 kilometers I have no cracks whatsoever.

All these messages about cracks here are very concerning. Maybe these birds are from some bad production batch?
I check mine after each flight but so far she is good! Knock on wood!

Top Speed

Top Speed
2018-3-3
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Well just passed the 1 year mark on my P4P, no cracks yet but just purchased the extended warranty below

2018-3-3
Use props
bernardren07
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

Eric13 Posted at 2018-3-3 14:07
I have my P4P for more than a year now. Occasionally I fly VERY sportive, usually in ATTI mode.
Gives me more speed than SPORT mode.
Today I set my personal record at 103 km/h or 64mp/h. I admit: Some tailwind was involved.

Thank you for share picture with me. I read from other phantompilot forum. Some they said maybe trottle up and brake too force will crack. i not too sure. Maybe hot weather to heat shell to become softer? haha
2018-3-3
Use props
bernardren07
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-3 16:41
Well just passed the 1 year mark on my P4P, no cracks yet but just purchased the extended warranty below

[view_image]

Hi. how to use this 1 pic to put on drone? Do you have any picture or video?
2018-3-3
Use props
tompahr
lvl.4
Croatia

bernardren07 Posted at 2018-3-3 19:15
Hi. how to use this 1 pic to put on drone? Do you have any picture or video?

Right click on picture and Save as...
2018-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules