3101 19 2015-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rogeruzun
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325659 ft
United States

----------EDIT---
The wobbly video was caused by a piece of packing foam that was attached around the gimbal arm.  Once I removed this the wobble went away.  I mistook it for a piece of molded plastic until someone brought it to my attention on this forum.
-------------------
The unit works but is stuck in PAL mode, and all the video has massive wobbly effect in it at all resolutions.  1080/50p or 2160/25p

The gimbal seems rock solid, it doesnt seem to move or jerk or shake at all.

Even if the unit is just idle on the ground with the props off  the video is wobbly as if everything is made of jello

I hope this doesnt need repair and is some sort of firmware or software fix.

Still seems like if it were a firmware thing they could not have shot any test videos, but I swear if I have to wait 3 weeks for this thing to get repaired I will be upset.

-Roger Uzun

2015-4-29
Use props
mjamesyates
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Definitely seems like there's an obvious problem, but we wouldn't know without seeing it. I take it you've gone through all the standard set up/calibration etc?
2015-4-29
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This was answered by Tahoe_Ed in another of your posts.. "They are reversed.  This will be addressed in the next app."

It looks like its a glitch in the App during registration where the options are reversed ( PAL means NTSC and NTSC means PAL ) and WILL be resolved with the new version soon.
2015-4-29
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
United States

Video is unusable regardless of the fact it's PAL.  There are 2 problems.  It's stuck in PAL mode.  The video wobbles like crazy in all resolutions.
2015-4-29
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
United States

I think it's a gimbal issue.  If I never turn on the engines there's no wobble or almost no wobble.  It's frequency is very long.

If I fly the unit the video is wobbling constantly even on hover.

If I then land the unit and turn the motors off the wobble is still present and worse than before takeoff.

I think there is an issue with the gimbal moving a tiny bit even when idle.  I can't detect it but it ruins all the video.

I probably have a defective unit, or it needs some sort of calibration I can't do here.  Maybe when they release an assistant app I will be able to calibrate this wobble out of it.

-Roger Uzun
2015-4-29
Use props
cziakas
lvl.3

United States

rogeruzun@gmail Posted at 2015-4-30 00:58
I think it's a gimbal issue.  If I never turn on the engines there's no wobble or almost no wobble.  ...

Please keep us up to date. i haven't received my Phantom yet so I have high interest in any issues people are experiencing and the resolution to them.
2015-4-29
Use props
Rothgarr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 470663 ft
United States

Sounds like one or more of the props are unevenly weighted. What if you tried swapping out the props? But then again you mentioned that  it also happens when you turn the motor off... that's weird.
2015-4-29
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
United States

I swapped the props no difference.  I have a bad gimbal I'm pretty sure.  I doubt calibration will help.  I'll wait for the new app before I return it.

Here's a 1080/50p video showing the issue.  You need to use google chrome on a pc at least to see 1080/50p

2015-4-29
Use props
NoOne
lvl.2
Italy

sploodge@sky.co Posted at 2015-4-30 00:29
This was answered by Tahoe_Ed in another of your posts.. "They are reversed.  This will be addressed ...

Ok, but what I read seems to imply that "NTSC" and "PAL" are to be chosen upon registration. It is a requirement for me to be able to choose them freely each time I shoot a movie. It's not a matter of perceiving a difference, but rather the requirement for me to switch framerate to accomodate editing with other content without any framerate conversion.
2015-4-29
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

rogeruzun@gmail Posted at 2015-4-30 03:25
I swapped the props no difference.  I have a bad gimbal I'm pretty sure.  I doubt calibration will h ...

Can you actually see the gimbal shaking when holding the phantom in your hands?
2015-4-29
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
United States

the gimbal does not have any visible shake when you hold it in your hands or rotate it around.
2015-4-29
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
United States

The problem was caused by a piece of packing foam I failed to remove around the gimbal arm.  I mistook it for a solid plastic molded arm that was supporting the gimbal.

Once I removed this packing foam the gimbal performed fine.  I have no problems anymore other than I am stuck in PAL mode, but an update to the app should fix that.
2015-4-29
Use props
vmp
lvl.3

United States

rogeruzun@gmail Posted at 2015-4-30 04:09
The problem was caused by a piece of packing foam I failed to remove around the gimbal arm.  I misto ...

Good to hear. At first I did not notice it either since the plastic cover that comes on the camera was pretty much off when I got mine.

I just flew it for the first time and the camera looks great. Unfortunately the DJI Pilot App 1.0.10 on Android crashes the minute I try to take off with the Phantom. I can see the camera find and go through the settings, but I can't take without the app crashing. Luckily I was still able to fly it a little bit and take pictures/record video.
2015-4-29
Use props
paul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1276532 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well, now you know what the video looks like without gimbal stabilization and vibration isolation...glad it was nothing worse!
2015-4-29
Use props
coherent
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7411 ft
United States

golly...  duh... rtfi

Quick Start Guide & Manual

7. Getting Ready for Takeoff
Remove the gimbal clamp as shown on the
right. Place your Phantom 3 Professional on a
flat surface, in an open space, with the nose
facing away from you. Then follow the steps
below in this order

2015-4-29
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

coherent Posted at 2015-4-30 06:05
golly...  duh... rtfi

Quick Start Guide & Manual

I think from what Roger was saying there's a small piece of foam in addition to this clamp that needs removing - is this correct?  Perhaps the manual might need updating?? lol
2015-4-29
Use props
neilkarunatilak
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Photos of white foam piece on gimbal

My P3 Professional just came in. I can confirm the foam piece is there on mine as well, I didn't notice it till I saw this forum post. I'm assuming this needs to be removed before flight.... Photos below!

2015-4-29
Use props
coherent
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7411 ft
United States

hmm  ok, errr sorry rog,.. I guess it does kinda look like part of the permanent gimble/quad that's supposed to be there... (cough cough). (of couse it's easy for me to say such things because it wasn't me who didn't notice it, so thanks for the info so I will when mine comes!)
2015-4-29
Use props
ghovany
lvl.1

United States

coherent Posted at 2015-4-30 06:36
hmm  ok, errr sorry rog,.. I guess it does kinda look like part of the permanent gimble/quad that's  ...

Don't throw that piece away.
2015-4-30
Use props
Rothgarr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 470663 ft
United States

BTW, someone posted this over at PhantomPilots. Pretty amazing how stable the gimble/camera is!:
2015-4-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules