Data Recording Error Data logger Error FIX!
9534 11 2018-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mr. Information
lvl.3

Philippines

I purchased a newly phantom 4 aircraft. It had 2 overall status error "Data Recording Error andData logger Error"  I did all troubleshooting firmware update, calibration, install uninstall app, tried different cables or phones nothing solved it.

Fix was to remove the sd card from aircraft  put it on the pc reformat it on the pc then insert it again on the aircraft turn it on.
The error was gone OMG! phantom motors was working again

Hope this post can help fellow phantom users.

2018-2-9
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Awesome result thanks for sharing with us
2018-2-9
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A good shout

Did you try a format in the aircraft at all ?
2018-2-9
Use props
Mr. Information
lvl.3

Philippines

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-9 14:35
A good shout

Did you try a format in the aircraft at all ?

I did not try the reformat  using the app however  the format via pc was a great help ;)
2018-2-9
Use props
Drones Toronto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 953596 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have had this issue on pretty much every DJI machine and the source and solution is the same for all.   Basically, the internal SD card, 'the black box' is faulty, regardless of how it got into that state.   The old apps had some options to download data from this SD card but it has slowly been removed from the 'general settings' tab.   Contrary to the multitudes of solutions, IMHO, this problem can be resolved simply by replacing this SD card.    On the Phantom 3 units, it is located under the main board, you can see it if you peer inside battery compartment, looking up.  On Phantom 4's it is visible on the flight controller once the gimbal is replaced.  On the Mavic units it is also inside and the cover has to be removed.   Note that tampering with this will likely void the warranty and DJI will repair if you send it in, for a fee, if unit is out of warranty.  This is debatable policy as it clearly is a manufacturer defect due to hardware failure or conflicts encountered due to poor quality firmware updates.

Physically replacing it however, is not easy.   The card retainer is designed to retain the SD card once it is pushed in the first time.  You can not pull it out easily.   If pushed too hard, it will crack like ceramic plate.  If you pry the silver retainer cage, it will not be possible to reinstall it and without it, the SD card will not make proper contact with the reader pins.  In this case, you may be able to 'crazy glue' or 'epoxy'  the new SD card, applying constant pressure until bond is complete, ensuring no glue gets into the contacts.

I have included picture of the reader assembly exposing the internals.  I created a small pry tool out of an old battery terminal which I used to pick away at the small bit of plastic holding the SD card in place.  I also applied moderate lateral pressure with a flat screw driver to help push the SD card out as I made progress chipping away the bit of plastic.   You can see in second picture, the same area with the plastic piece picked away.  If you are careful, the SD card will slide out without damaging the reader.   I had spare 4 gig cards from other mainboards (with other issues) which I used to replace the faulty one.  

If the retainer becomes loose, the pins on reader may not make proper contact with bottom of SD card.  In this case you can cut a shim and slide it on top of the SD card.  This will apply more pressure downwards on the SD card, allowing the pins to make proper contact with SD card.    You can see in the third picture, the shim in its place, ( I cut it out of a pop can ).  

As we have chipped away the plastic holding the SD card in place,   you can use a dab of  silicone or epoxy at the end of the SD card.   

I have done this repair several times and can vouch for positive results.   Although this problem may have other solutions, I believe that they inadvertently re-established lost contact on this SD card and owners may have just attributed it to what ever action they last attempted.
Note the small component with holes in it, next to the SD assembly.  This is the barometer I believe and it is important for these holes to be clear of any debris, ensure you do not plug them up.

2018-3-22
Use props
Arcobaleno Reborn
lvl.3

Philippines

Drones Toronto Posted at 2018-3-22 08:04
I have had this issue on pretty much every DJI machine and the source and solution is the same for all.   Basically, the internal SD card, 'the black box' is faulty, regardless of how it got into that state.   The old apps had some options to download data from this SD card but it has slowly been removed from the 'general settings' tab.   Contrary to the multitudes of solutions, IMHO, this problem can be resolved simply by replacing this SD card.    On the Phantom 3 units, it is located under the main board, you can see it if you peer inside battery compartment, looking up.  On Phantom 4's it is visible on the flight controller once the gimbal is replaced.  On the Mavic units it is also inside and the cover has to be removed.   Note that tampering with this will likely void the warranty and DJI will repair if you send it in, for a fee, if unit is out of warranty.  This is debatable policy as it clearly is a manufacturer defect due to hardware failure or conflicts encountered due to poor quality firmware updates.

Physically replacing it however, is not easy.   The card retainer is designed to retain the SD card once it is pushed in the first time.  You can not pull it out easily.   If pushed too hard, it will crack like ceramic plate.  If you pry the silver retainer cage, it will not be possible to reinstall it and without it, the SD card will not make proper contact with the reader pins.  In this case, you may be able to 'crazy glue' or 'epoxy'  the new SD card, applying constant pressure until bond is complete, ensuring no glue gets into the contacts.

Wow you really did some work there now I know what the internal looks like
2018-3-22
Use props
vs82
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176158 ft

Italy

Drones Toronto Posted at 2018-3-22 08:04
I have had this issue on pretty much every DJI machine and the source and solution is the same for all.   Basically, the internal SD card, 'the black box' is faulty, regardless of how it got into that state.   The old apps had some options to download data from this SD card but it has slowly been removed from the 'general settings' tab.   Contrary to the multitudes of solutions, IMHO, this problem can be resolved simply by replacing this SD card.    On the Phantom 3 units, it is located under the main board, you can see it if you peer inside battery compartment, looking up.  On Phantom 4's it is visible on the flight controller once the gimbal is replaced.  On the Mavic units it is also inside and the cover has to be removed.   Note that tampering with this will likely void the warranty and DJI will repair if you send it in, for a fee, if unit is out of warranty.  This is debatable policy as it clearly is a manufacturer defect due to hardware failure or conflicts encountered due to poor quality firmware updates.

Physically replacing it however, is not easy.   The card retainer is designed to retain the SD card once it is pushed in the first time.  You can not pull it out easily.   If pushed too hard, it will crack like ceramic plate.  If you pry the silver retainer cage, it will not be possible to reinstall it and without it, the SD card will not make proper contact with the reader pins.  In this case, you may be able to 'crazy glue' or 'epoxy'  the new SD card, applying constant pressure until bond is complete, ensuring no glue gets into the contacts.

Hi, I have "SD card error", "Data recorder error" amd "Main controller data error". I think that is possible that is an  issueon internal micro sd.

Ehat kind of data contains internal microsd?

Do you think that is possible to read files on working microsd and copy they on a new microsd?
Do you suggest me to use linux or windows yo make this attempt?

Thank you
2020-1-14
Use props
Amurdad
lvl.1
Flight distance : 153245 ft

Romania

Hey,

I've find myself in the same situation, but it happened in midflight. The drone was still responding but it was like in ATTI mode or like all the satellites dropped from the sky. It took like 5 sec to recover but the error got stuck. I also noticed a 0 kb file in the DJI FLY LOG in the same date and hour as the error happened. Previous ones were much larger files. I tried to copy it but it didn’t work. Tried to deleted, but didn’t work.

It all started (months ago) with ever longer periods of "IMU initialization" (after each restart/battery replacement), sometimes even 3-5 min. Very frustrating.
After I read Drones Toronto's post i said myself "got to be it" and it was.
I fully disassembled the drone replaced the 4GB microSD with a 16 GB (I didn’t find locally a smaller one) and now all works as it should.

Thanks for the support especially  Drones Toronto
2020-8-25
Use props
djiuser_VThbKRLv4Hdb
lvl.1

United States

my drone will come on and take pictures and video but my motors wont turn on after I changed the battery and was flying fine just before battery change  what could cause this and how do i fix or how to get it fixed
2021-9-27
Use props
djiuser_VThbKRLv4Hdb
lvl.1

United States

Hell mine is doing it with out the SD card
2021-10-20
Use props
djiuser_VThbKRLv4Hdb
lvl.1

United States

Amurdad Posted at 2020-8-25 09:28
Hey,

I've find myself in the same situation, but it happened in midflight. The drone was still responding but it was like in ATTI mode or like all the satellites dropped from the sky. It took like 5 sec to recover but the error got stuck. I also noticed a 0 kb file in the DJI FLY LOG in the same date and hour as the error happened. Previous ones were much larger files. I tried to copy it but it didn’t work. Tried to deleted, but didn’t work.

Was yours a mavic pro ????
2021-10-20
Use props
RPAS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1641696 ft
Australia

I had Air Encoder Error, Data Controller Error and Data Logger error. I believe Air Encoder was my 1st issue though.
Yes, removing & replacing the internal SD card (not the image recording sd) was the fix.
As mentioned earlier, the sd is located on the top of the FLight Controller board, the one visible in the P4p once the gimbal is removed.
The SD card holder is a “slide & flip “ type. Silicon glue either side stops the sd retainer from sliding. So a craft knife or similar needs to cut along the edges of the sd retainer. There is no need to remove the silicon. In fact doing so may damage any tiny components under the glue. Once cut away from the retainer sides, the covering metal slides towards the centre of the drone about 2mm. The sd card does NOT slide with it! Once it has slid 2mm then the cover AND sd will pivot up. Now you can slide the card out.
My sd was toast. No computers could recognise it. I grabbed another, reformatted in a pc to exfat 32. And admittedly after 3 restarts it seems fixed.
Thanks
2022-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules