Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mini-G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all,

I'm interesting in getting an Gimbal, not sure if I should get this for a iPhone or get something like a Feiyu for my GoPro instead?

Thanks for you opinions!
Single SelectVote, Total 108 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-2-10
Use props
c.grex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4751 ft
United Kingdom

I'd just take a look at videos of the OSMO2 on YouTube. All the ones that are used with iphones are very juddery. The OIS on the phone doesn't seem to work well. I'd stick with a go pro with out it.
2018-2-10
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

I think its really fine for what i want to do. I just wanted stable b-rolls for when im on vacation. It'll help out cinematic videos with a drone in a footage
2018-2-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It depends on what you want.
GoPro's have their own look (wide angle etc). If you can live with that, I would go that road.
If you have (or want) the iPhone SE (no VR on that phone), I really like the combo with the Osmo Mobile.
2018-2-10
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

Personally I wouldn’t get an Osmo Mobile 2, but here is a brief run down of some of your options:

Go Pro:
None of the smart features of the Osmo, it just stabilizes the camera, and I’m not even sure if you can monitor the video in real time or not.
Fisheye lens
On the other hand, GoPros are near indestructible, but I’m not so sure about that gimbal.

Osmo Mobile 2:
It just stabilizes your phone, albeit very well, so your really just still taking cellphone videos and how good those are depends on your phone.
Has lots of nice smart features, including active track
Has a great battery, but I’m skeptical how long it will actually last in the field, especially if you are also recharging your phone with it, and once it’s drained you can’t change it, you have to plug in the whole device and wait 2 hours for it to charge, and if the battery ever gos bad, your out of luck
Screwy controls
Lack of accessories, you can hold it in your hand, set it on a table, or put it on a tripod, that’s pretty much it.  No other mounts, and no way to attach an external microphone or light
Looks flimsy

Osmo Mobile 1:
Everything the Osmo Mobile 2 can do, and none of the problems.
Less battery capacity than the Osmo Mobile 2, but the batteries are removable and you can carry as many as you need and recharge them quicker.
Can use all the Osmo accessories except the Z Axis and Extention Cable (and by exiting the sticky (helmet) mounts, and the wearable mount would be difficult).
Can’t use portrait mode.
Made of metal.
More expensive than Osmo Mobile 2.

Osmo handle with M1 Gimbal:
Exactly like the Osmo Mobile except that the gimbal is removeable so you can use the Z Axis and extention cable
The handle can also be used for the other Osmo cameras and the cameras off the Inspire 1
More expensive than the Osmo Mobile
Osmo:
Superior camera in every way to any of the previous options
Prosumer instead of consumer grade, can produce professional quality footage
Battery only lasts about an hour to an hour and a half
Much more expensive than either Osmo Mobile
No active track

Osmo+:
Same as the Osmo except it also has an optical zoom and an extra gimbal motor
It also has motion timelapse
More expensive than the Osmo

Osmo Pro:
Professional grade camera with a micro 4/3 lens
Produces near Hollywood level footage
No (native) optical zoom
Can use interchangeable lenses, the same type as you might use for a high end DSLR
Arguably better options exist at this price point
Very expensive

Osmo Pro RAW:
Even nicer camera than the Osmo Pro, now capable of producing RED footage
Hollywood level quality
Arguably comperable to a Sony RED camera, but at a much nicer price
Still no native optical zoom
Other than that, it is the same as an Osmo Pro except the footage can be output in RAW file format
Extremely expensive, think about the same price as a decent used car

2018-2-11
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

c.grex Posted at 2018-2-10 07:54
I'd just take a look at videos of the OSMO2 on YouTube. All the ones that are used with iphones are very juddery. The OIS on the phone doesn't seem to work well. I'd stick with a go pro with out it.

The only reason the Osmo 2 interferes with the iPhone camera is because they are both trying to auto-stabilize at the same time. I have an iPhone 6s and it is just fine, no bumps or anything in the video.
2018-2-13
Use props
fans7281a1db
lvl.4
United States

Just made a review on this.  The OSMO 2 still has its flaws.  Using the DJI go app, the footage is still pretty choppy...the auto-stabilization is still a big issue.  Also-the slow mo is almost unusable due the the quality.  Check out my video for more detail and sample footage.  
2018-2-18
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

fans7281a1db Posted at 2018-2-18 13:17
Just made a review on this.  The OSMO 2 still has its flaws.  Using the DJI go app, the footage is still pretty choppy...the auto-stabilization is still a big issue.  Also-the slow mo is almost unusable due the the quality.  Check out my video for more detail and sample footage.  https://youtu.be/ijsv67xg4ig

Thanks! I’ll check it out!
2018-2-18
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

I use the DJI with my Hero 6, but the Zhiyun smooth q, gives me much better results with the gopro because the gimbal can turn 360 degrees and can do much more than the om2 imo. To be fair, I bought the om2 to use it with my iphone 8 plus, but the IOS issue makes the footage unusable.  It's not DJI's fault and there' no other way around it except using a magnet which I am not willing to do.  The Hero 6 gives me good stable results and I can always edit the "fisheye" look in post.  Finally, I rather spend more time in post color grading my footage than fixing jittery footage.  Hope this helps.
2018-2-19
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Get the OSMO+ and the Zenmuze M1, give you the best of both worlds.
2018-2-19
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31896 ft
United States

fans7281a1db Posted at 2018-2-18 13:17
Just made a review on this.  The OSMO 2 still has its flaws.  Using the DJI go app, the footage is still pretty choppy...the auto-stabilization is still a big issue.  Also-the slow mo is almost unusable due the the quality.  Check out my video for more detail and sample footage.  https://youtu.be/ijsv67xg4ig

Thanks for taking the time to make this instructional video.

May I ask how you set the frame rate and the Slo-Mo?  I just got the OM2 and am using it with a Galaxy 9 Plus.  I cannot see anyway to set the frame rate All I have is this (see picture).  I do not see anyplace to set the slow-motion.

And is this the correct app for Android?

Thank you
Gary
2018-4-16
Use props
benmaundvisuals
lvl.4
United States

I don't have much experience with that phone so I cant help.  Maybe someone else can chime in?  This is what mine looks like on the iPhone 7plus.
2018-4-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

PedalingDuo Posted at 2018-4-16 13:49
Thanks for taking the time to make this instructional video.

May I ask how you set the frame rate and the Slo-Mo?  I just got the OM2 and am using it with a Galaxy 9 Plus.  I cannot see anyway to set the frame rate All I have is this (see picture).  I do not see anyplace to set the slow-motion.

Gary, I have replied your own thread, please check.
Slow Motion is not available for Android mobile phone at this moment, if your phone is lack of some functions in DJI Go APP, we suggest to use HID function, which means when you connect to Osmo Mobile 2's Bluetooth, you can also use the stock Camera APP in your phone for shooting, Osmo Mobile 2 could just to a stabilizer. The shutter and video buttons in the handle can be used to control the volume button in your phone, thereby to trigger the video and picture taking. GTScreenshot_20180417_160225.png
2018-4-17
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
United States

benmaundvisuals Posted at 2018-4-16 18:31
I don't have much experience with that phone so I cant help.  Maybe someone else can chime in?  This is what mine looks like on the iPhone 7plus. [view_image]

Thanks for the response.  I found out that they don't have full functionality for Android.
2018-4-17
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-17 00:03
Slow Motion is not available for Android mobile phone at this moment, if your phone is lack of some functions in DJI Go APP, we suggest to use HID function, which means when you connect to Osmo Mobile 2's Bluetooth, you can also use the stock Camera APP in your phone for shooting, Osmo Mobile 2 could just to a stabilizer. The shutter and video buttons in the handle can be used to control the volume button in your phone, thereby to trigger the video and picture taking.[view_image]

Thank you for clearing that up for me.
I hope that DJI hires some Android support in the future.
2018-4-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

PedalingDuo Posted at 2018-4-17 04:10

We will, our engineers are working on developing more functions in Android mobile device, hope you will have a better experience in the future.
2018-4-18
Use props
benmaundvisuals
lvl.4
United States

PedalingDuo Posted at 2018-4-17 04:10

I hope as well!  You would think they would already have the support in place before releasing the OM2.   
2018-4-21
Use props
ZWT
lvl.1
United States

So is the Osmo Mobile 2 basically unusable with the iphone 8 because of the OIS? I've watched videos and read through various discussions but can't seem to determine if the jitter is constant or if it only occuers under certain conditions. If it can produce a stable, jitter-free imagine under the right circumstances it might still be worth a purchase but if the footage is always going to be wobbly no matter what I do then I'll have to pass.
2018-4-24
Use props
ChaosKnign
lvl.4
Flight distance : 402877 ft
United States

At US$130, it's worth it. =)

I just use it for B-rolls or simple takes. If you want more professional results, spend professional money to get professional gear. ;) Osmo+ starts at US$650 (I think it went down to US$500).
2018-4-25
Use props
fans758a5560
lvl.1
Flight distance : 337579 ft
Sweden

drewhoover Posted at 2018-2-13 20:09
The only reason the Osmo 2 interferes with the iPhone camera is because they are both trying to auto-stabilize at the same time. I have an iPhone 6s and it is just fine, no bumps or anything in the video.

I just made a testshot with my osmo2 and iPhone SE - and yes, it looks like the stabilizers triggers each other. Can I change any settings on the iOS to get a better feeling?
2018-4-26
Use props
Vgod89
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55699 ft
United States

ZWT Posted at 2018-4-24 15:00
So is the Osmo Mobile 2 basically unusable with the iphone 8 because of the OIS? I've watched videos and read through various discussions but can't seem to determine if the jitter is constant or if it only occuers under certain conditions. If it can produce a stable, jitter-free imagine under the right circumstances it might still be worth a purchase but if the footage is always going to be wobbly no matter what I do then I'll have to pass.

For $130 it’s worth it, you can use third party app like filmic pro to toggle off the OIS
2018-4-26
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

fans758a5560 Posted at 2018-4-26 07:01
I just made a testshot with my osmo2 and iPhone SE - and yes, it looks like the stabilizers triggers each other. Can I change any settings on the iOS to get a better feeling?

I'm pretty sure the iPhone SE does not have AIS - Automatic Image Stabilization. Only the iPhone 7 and up comes with such a feature.
2018-4-27
Use props
Ethan Cole
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1576227 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Vgod89 Posted at 2018-4-26 10:11
For $130 it’s worth it, you can use third party app like filmic pro to toggle off the OIS

Filmic Pro don't work. I did several test before I decided to return the product, I'm very disappointed.

This is a test made with the gimbal and Filmic Pro active with stabilizer off.

Iphone 8 plus

2018-4-29
Use props
kbm79
lvl.3
France

You need to look at the alternatives to answer if the OM2 is worth it - mainly the Zhiyun smooth 4 and Movi Cinema Robot .
The Movi is twice the price of OM2 and is exclusive to iOS , not a issue for Apple users...
That leaves the Zhiyun Smooth 4
When i researched what gimbal to go for, i was struck on how many Youtube reviews of the Zhiyun Smooth 3 (as the Smooth 4 wasn't released yet) start off with "..so Zhiyun sent me this.." This is now the same with the Smooth 4 - most, if not all of the reviews are the same. Im sure DJI follow the same process - send out models for testing, youtube reviews etc.  

The bottom line is both Zhiyun and DJI have produced very similar gimbals. Take the software away, using native cameras they seem to perform the same. Although some side by side videos show DJI to perform better than Zhiyun.  

This then leaves the apps - both get shocking reviews online! Both have issues, and the feedback is the same 'waiting for updates, waiting for fixes, this is the worse company ever' etc. In the end, I had to deciced which one was worse, and i found that DJI was less worse than Zhiyun if that makes sense!

So is it worth it? Yes, as its margianlly better than Zhiyun Smooth 4.  
of course, the other other alternative to all this is stick with filming handheld with no stabalisation. After using the OM2  -no thanks!

2018-5-16
Use props
rahulb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1447 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very disappointed with the Osmo mobile 2, I purchased one and used it with my Samsung S7 but realized the gimbal can be seen in the recording very unprofessional of DJI to not provide this information. You also cannot take pictures in RAW which is a great disappointment again.
2018-6-10
Use props
odoug04
lvl.1

It depends what phone you have, If you have an iPhone 7 and up then I would think twice about it if your planning on using it for action and running. But if you have an iPhone 6s or a spare one lying around then it's 100% worth it, the footage from it is amazing and with the 6s you have the same 4K quality as the 7. I'm not sure about android phones but the galaxy phones don't seem to have as much of an issue as the iPhones but the DJI go app typically works better on iPhone. The Osmo mobile 2 also has a cheap accessory mount for the GoPro as well. So yes overall I would recommend it.
2018-6-13
Use props
STRIDE8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-17 00:03
Slow Motion is not available for Android mobile phone at this moment, if your phone is lack of some functions in DJI Go APP, we suggest to use HID function, which means when you connect to Osmo Mobile 2's Bluetooth, you can also use the stock Camera APP in your phone for shooting, Osmo Mobile 2 could just to a stabilizer. The shutter and video buttons in the handle can be used to control the volume button in your phone, thereby to trigger the video and picture taking.[view_image]

Android users need some love as well.. Hopefully the full features will be added
2018-6-21
Use props
Raverty
lvl.1

Yea I have an LG V30 and 4k video or frame rate selection isn't even an option in the app.
2018-6-21
Use props
GilPMTL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24508 ft
Canada

I had ordered another product from another company....and when I got it...it really did not "smove" very well...in fact, one of the motors died within 25 minutes and even before that, the gimbal as doing all sorts of crap...   so, I return the product and turn my head towards the OSMO 2 MOB.   .....after reading this thread, it seems that this is not really a better product of a iPhoneX user.....    dang.   

I can only assume that there is no turning off the OIS in the iPhone ....and that there is no "app update" solution since the issue more or less lies with Apple.      this iPhoneX is turning into a really bad purchase.
2018-6-22
Use props
lvl.2
Canada

If you want to shot video on mobile phone, it worth it.
2018-6-22
Use props
Vlas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1398100 ft
  • >>>
Japan

I’ve been on the fence with getting one for awhile now. iPhone user so walking around with it might be limiting.
2018-6-23
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

No doubt! go buy one now!
2018-7-19
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

GilPMTL Posted at 2018-6-22 06:56
I had ordered another product from another company....and when I got it...it really did not "smove" very well...in fact, one of the motors died within 25 minutes and even before that, the gimbal as doing all sorts of crap...   so, I return the product and turn my head towards the OSMO 2 MOB.   .....after reading this thread, it seems that this is not really a better product of a iPhoneX user.....    dang.   

I can only assume that there is no turning off the OIS in the iPhone ....and that there is no "app update" solution since the issue more or less lies with Apple.      this iPhoneX is turning into a really bad purchase.

Yas! I miss the fingerprint scanner. Animoji and Facescanner are very expensive features. I might just get the iPhone 8 plus.
2018-7-19
Use props
Risharde
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2881 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

I know this is a pretty straight forward question and what I see most people say is yes, buy it for the image stabilization.
But I bought it for an entirely different primary reason which I thought I would share with you guys!
Basically, I bought it for active tracking since I'm a blogger (not necessarily a good one)
It's now become my camera man on a budget, check out the video to see how excited I was when I just got it

2018-8-23
Use props
fabthi
New
Italy

drewhoover Posted at 2018-2-13 20:09
The only reason the Osmo 2 interferes with the iPhone camera is because they are both trying to auto-stabilize at the same time. I have an iPhone 6s and it is just fine, no bumps or anything in the video.

True, I have 6S too and no issues with stabilization. Just asking, can you turn off stabilization in iPhones that provide such feature?
2018-10-26
Use props
Mars5150
lvl.4
Flight distance : 391493 ft
United States

Absolutely get this Gimbal... best in Class.
2018-12-5
Use props
darkfull1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13114 ft
Switzerland

I spent a long time comparing what was available and the prices and found out that the osmo mobile 2 was the one with the most pro for my use. I wanted something to use with my phone and my gopro. Correct use with gopro is kind of difficult but it can be done as for the features on phone it has the best result in term of following speed and accuracy. Of course there are lots of more expensive gimbals with better result but in these range of price I think the osmo mobile 2 might be the best choice.
2018-12-28
Use props
davawt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4885 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great gadget and can produce some very good video
2018-12-31
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all,

Just a update, I still haven’t got myself a Gimbal but I’ve tried the Osmo 2 and really impressed with it.
Although now the Osmo pocket is out, I’m thinking of getting that one. I’m sure there’s a post on this topic (and I would love someone to post the link to that here) but does anyone have an option on that?
Get an Osmo mobile 2 in 2019 or Osmo Pocket?
2019-1-10
Use props
Chuck_IV
lvl.1
United States

I tried the Osmo Mobile 2 along with the Zhiyun Smooth 4 and while I like the grip of the Mobile 2 and the joystick, I ended up keeping the Smooth 4 for several reasons.

The main one is that the Smooth 4 allows tracking at 4k 60fps, while the Mobile 2 will only does tracking at 4k 30fps. Another being that I use  Filmic Pro.and while they are both integrated into Filmic Pro, the Smooth 4 is better integrated, especially with the added buttons that it offers.

Either can be a good choice though, depending on how you use it.
2019-2-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules