Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying near a glider club
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lvlacleod
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54793 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

Can someone please clarify what the rules are for flying near a glider club? I have permission from the national park manager to take off and fly from a location they manage but there is a glider club nearby.

Thanks in advance.

2018-2-10
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I guess if its not a registered airport you should be ok. If it is a registered airport you may be subject to a no fly zone
But i would definitely check with the glider club to make sure they are not flying when you want to.
Either way i would be contacting the club prior to you flying anywere near their area.
2018-2-10
Use props
lvlacleod
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54793 ft
United Kingdom

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-2-10 04:02
I guess if its not a registered airport you should be ok. If it is a registered airport you may be subject to a no fly zone
But i would definitely check with the glider club to make sure they are not flying when you want to.
Either way i would be contacting the club prior to you flying anywere near their area.

I contacted the club and they were quite rude and not very helpful. How would you find out if it's a registered airport? It's just a strip of grass on top of a hill. My understanding was they have to fly above a certain height and if I am flying near the club and in the park I intend to fly I have to fly below a certain height and there is a vast difference between the 2.
2018-2-10
Use props
Rigger73
Second Officer
Flight distance : 378478 ft
Netherlands

Rules are rules I'm afraid,

If it is an active aerodrome, and your drone flying presents a risk to manned flight, then should you be even attempting to fly in this area.

Ask yourself this.  What if you were a glider pilot - would you want to risk flying when there is a drone flying about in designated airspace?  What would be the risks to me?

CAP 722 refers you to Air Nav Order 2009, Articles 95 + 166.  IIRC.

For a sub 7Kg drone, Article 166, sub paras 1,2,3 and 5 apply.

You also don't strictly need permission to fly in a traffic managed area with a sub 7Kg drone - though seeking permission from the Air Traffic Management agency is strongly advised.  More so if you are flying within 5Km of the aerodrome.

If you get no joy from the club over the phone - then go see them in person.

Gliders have right of way to most aircraft, being none powered.  They only give way to hot air balloons, which have no directional control at all.

Explain to some-one who isn't pompous what you want to do, where, time and give an idea that you'll be sticking to the drone code, and keeping your drone VLOS and below 400ft.

I've done this when I wanted to fly around Scrabo Tower in Northern Ireland.  I went to see the (very nearby) Ulster Flying Club, and asked  if they had any more flights after 5pm.

Club manager told me they had finished their flying program for the day.  Thanked me for my consideration - and sent me on my way with a "Go enjoy yourself". - and with 2 hours of daylight left I got a cracking sunset shot of the tower.
2018-2-10
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

If they have posted a NOTEM then I would avoid flying there while the NOTEM is active, if they haven't then just follow the UK Drone Code and remember that unmanned aircraft have a duty to give way to manned aircraft and you both have a duty to avoid collisions.  Given that our drones don't decend very quickly, make sure you know which on side you should pass if a collision is imminent!

I would expect a glider to be flying much higher than 400ft unless it was taking off/landing, and you should clearly avoid flying near an active runway whatever it's status.
Para gliders  and hang gliders can be very low as they will often fly level with the cliff tops.
2018-2-10
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

lvlacleod Posted at 2018-2-10 06:03
I contacted the club and they were quite rude and not very helpful. How would you find out if it's a registered airport? It's just a strip of grass on top of a hill. My understanding was they have to fly above a certain height and if I am flying near the club and in the park I intend to fly I have to fly below a certain height and there is a vast difference between the 2.

My experience of mixing model and full size ..... (in UK) - usually came down to personal visit and showing interest in THEIR craft ... it usually caused reciprocal interest in the model gear.

Best is when its not busy and as a social visit ....

It all depends on who you talk to ... you were probably unlucky that day catching the least publicly spirited Glider member ....
Of course if they are Ridge Soaring .... then altitude is low !!

Nigel  
2018-2-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I will also suggest contacting the local club to ensure if it is okay to fly.
2018-2-11
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-11 02:04
I will also suggest contacting the local club to ensure if it is okay to fly.

He did ... see #3 ..... they were rude to him !!

Nigel
2018-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules