Osmo Mobile (1.0) + iPhone X = useless
3409 13 2018-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tzuli
lvl.2
Flight distance : 346637 ft
Slovenia

I have recently bought my Osmo Mobile (1st gen) to use it with my iPhone X. Only today I had the chance to test it...

...and it is...

horrible.

Please tell me that my Osmo Mobile is defecitve, because the video quality is horrible.

(jittering and shaking) and happens every time.

2018-2-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This looks like the VR of your iPhone X.
The lens is actually loose in the body to be able to have real VR.
I have the iPhone SE that does NOT have this real VR, so I don't have this issue.

I'm not sure if DJI has found a way to fix the lens element in the iPhones that have VR.
What you can do, is shoot with the native iPhone camera app. That looks way better.
You do  miss the control buttons on the Osmo, but at least you get steady footage.
I tested with the iPhone 8 Plus.
2018-2-10
Use props
Tzuli
lvl.2
Slovenia

What I want is my money back. That is what I want. I am not down to look for workarounds if the DJI did not get their act together with the iPhone X.

I did not see a disclaimer *shakes when used with iPhone X on their homepage...

2018-2-10
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

This is a known issue.  Supposedly DJI has fixed it with the latest version of the Go app, or will soon.

I also have the IPhone X, I have only taken one test video so far walking around my kitchen last night, but I did not see the shudder issue, so they may have resolved it, or I just need a longer test video.
2018-2-10
Use props
Tzuli
lvl.2
Slovenia

I have the latest app version, latest firmware for the iPhone and for the Osmo. Unless they have fixed it in the last 2 hours, then they did not fix it.
2018-2-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Tzuli, we are sorry to read on this, can you recall if the gimbal shake when you took videos or just the video shook?
Did you balance the gimbal well before your switch on? Does the issue happen to all the footages?
Here is the tutorial video about how to insert the mobile phone for your reference:
2018-2-10
Use props
Tzuli
lvl.2
Slovenia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-2-10 23:08
Tzuli, we are sorry to read on this, can you recall if the gimbal shake when you took videos or just the video shook?
Did you balance the gimbal well before your switch on? Does the issue happen to all the footages?
Here is the tutorial video about how to insert the mobile phone for your reference:

Oh, come on. The gimbal did not shake. I do not have Alzheimer.  :/

Of course I have balanced the phone. When the Osmo is switched off the phone is completely leveled.

It is a known issue, after reading the internet, I understand that the DJI knows about it and promises an App upgrade to fix it for more than 10 months.

I just want my money back for the Osmo, the Tripod and the extension rod. I do not need any of that to make shaky videos. It happens to all of them.

2018-2-10
Use props
Mikey Z
lvl.3
Hong Kong

There is a OIS conflict between Osmo Mobile and Iphone X, if you make sure all of the software versions are the latest, you can download the "Filmic Pro" app to turn off the OIS of  Iphone X and then recalibrate the gimbal in the DJI GO app and have another try. BTW, the environment temperature is also an important factor for it to operate well. So it is not suggested to take videos in a cold place under 5°C.
2018-2-11
Use props
Tzuli
lvl.2
Slovenia

Mikey Z Posted at 2018-2-11 02:20
There is a OIS conflict between Osmo Mobile and Iphone X, if you make sure all of the software versions are the latest, you can download the "Filmic Pro" app to turn off the OIS of  Iphone X and then recalibrate the gimbal in the DJI GO app and have another try. BTW, the environment temperature is also an important factor for it to operate well. So it is not suggested to take videos in a cold place under 5°C.

So you concur. Osmo mobile is useless.
2018-2-11
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Tzuli Posted at 2018-2-11 07:15
So you concur. Osmo mobile is useless.

That is not at all what he said, and you know it.

You have been given at least two viable workarounds in this thread that you can use while you wait for DJI to update the Go app, but you seem content to just complain.
2018-2-11
Use props
Tzuli
lvl.2
Slovenia

9245 Posted at 2018-2-11 10:26
That is not at all what he said, and you know it.

You have been given at least two viable workarounds in this thread that you can use while you wait for DJI to update the Go app, but you seem content to just complain.

I do not want workarounds. I want a working product.

This is a buggy product, please tell me how I am wrong?
2018-2-11
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Tzuli Posted at 2018-2-11 10:28
I do not want workarounds. I want a working product.

This is a buggy product, please tell me how I am wrong?

It IS a working product, the problem is with the app, not the product.  The product is doing everything it is supposed to do, it has nothing at all to do with your product, the only interaction between it and the phone is following the movement commands it gets from the phone via Bluetooth, it’s doing that.  The problem is the OIS on your phone not playing well with the Go app.

This is a software problem, not a hardware one.

You have been provided with more than one software solution.  Your problem is that you are stubbornly insisting that because the Go app, one of several apps that will work with your device, doesn’t work with your phone (something that is being fixed) that the product is broken when that is simply not the case.  You simply need to use a different app.  Or just wait for a software update.
OIS is not going away, and it makes a lot of sense if you are not using a gimbal.  All current model and future Apple phones are likely to have it, and Apple makes up a significant portion of the cellphone market.  Also, DJI seeks to imitate Apple, and has partnered with them, you can buy this in the Apple Store, from Apple, when you buy your Apple phone.  So making this work right with Apple phones is a very high priority for DJI, and they have been promising a fix for awhile now, you have to figure it’s coming soon.

In the meantime, you have been givin the fix.
2018-2-11
Use props
Tzuli
lvl.2
Slovenia

9245 Posted at 2018-2-11 10:53
It IS a working product, the problem is with the app, not the product.  The product is doing everything it is supposed to do, it has nothing at all to do with your phone, the only interaction between it and the phone is following the movement commands it gets from the phone via Bluetooth, it’s doing that.  The problem is the OIS on your phone not playing well with the Go app.

This is a software problem, not a hardware one.

I have checked the DJI Osmo mobile page. The one where the product is sold. I was unable to find any of the arguments you have just given me.

I do understand them, I do not care for them honestly. This is a hassle and I do not want to be a part of it. I have seen promises of the App update that is going to fix this issue as early as spring 2017. Almost a year ago. That does not give me confidence that the problem is going to go away soon. BTW. I was planning to use the Osmo mobile with the DJI app but that seems not possible. Oh, and BTW. I checked the product page again, I could not find a line telling me it does not work well below 5 degrees Celsius.

So why are you trying so hard to tell me that it is me who is faulty?

2018-2-11
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Tzuli Posted at 2018-2-11 10:59
I have checked the DJI Osmo mobile page. The one where the product is sold. I was unable to find any of the arguments you have just given me.

I do understand them, I do not care for them honestly. This is a hassle and I do not want to be a part of it. I have seen promises of the App update that is going to fix this issue as early as spring 2017. Almost a year ago. That does not give me confidence that the problem is going to go away soon. BTW. I was planning to use the Osmo mobile with the DJI app but that seems not possible. Oh, and BTW. I checked the product page again, I could not find a line telling me it does not work well below 5 degrees Celsius.

I really don’t care what you do.  I’m just telling you the truth, as have others in this thread, but yourjust getting a whiny attitude about every suggestion your given, it seems all you want to do is complain.

We are people who actually have experience using this thing but you chose to just disregard everything we’re telling you so you can throw a tantrum.

Your device is fine, your problem is one of the several camera apps available to use it, that’s it.  You just don’t want to hear that.

Return it if you want.  I don’t care.  I suggest next time you do your research if your going to freak out about a minor issue like this.
2018-2-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules