2448 7 2015-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
raynelang
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450492 ft
United States

Hi All,
Glad to hear people are started to get P3s at their door step... maybe some day my P3+battery will ship

I'm trying to figure out what type of tablet to get to use with my P3. I am able to get my hands on an Ipad Air2 - WIFI Only model which is in the supported device list but I dont know how well this works with the App. The app has a 'map' section which will display the P3's current position (and maybe home position?) on what looks like google maps... but how does it do this on a WIFI only tablet? In the P3 manual it states that you should have WIFI off when your flying the P3 so do you have to cache all of the maps before taking your P3 out? Or do you loose the map feature on a WIFI only tablet?

Just trying to figure out how big of a disadvantage a WIFI only model will be. I understand that in the future if third party develops 'follow-me' that I will need something with GPS. I'm hopefully my 'currently unsupported' android 5+ phone will work for that. (it runs the app fine, but untested with the P3)

Rayne

2015-4-29
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

I thought the tablet/phone uses WiFi to talk to the controller for the video (lightbridge) signal??  Turning WiFi off would prevent this from working wouldn't it?
2015-4-29
Use props
raynelang
lvl.2
United States

john.lambert4@o Posted at 2015-4-30 05:27
I thought the tablet/phone uses WiFi to talk to the controller for the video (lightbridge) signal??  ...

I thought that was how the P2 did it. On the P3 do you not connect a USB cable to connect the tablet/phone to the controller?
2015-4-29
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

raynelang@gmail Posted at 2015-4-30 05:37
I thought that was how the P2 did it. On the P3 do you not connect a USB cable to connect the tabl ...

I'm reading the manual now (saw it was uploaded to the site yesterday) and I just noticed that lol.  Thanks for that!
2015-4-29
Use props
raynelang
lvl.2
United States

For anyone wondering the same thing I did find some posts in the inspire forum that mentioned building a map cache on WIFI before flying. Although.... all the posts seemed to complain about how much work it is to build up the map cache at a good resolution. Maybe they have fixed this already?

It would be awesome to just punch in a location, radius, and have it automatically cache the map at the best possible resolution within that area.
2015-4-30
Use props
klimon
lvl.1

United States

Does anyone know what the GUIDES option is used for on the Android App? Its on the Map page on the left side of the screen between the Go Home and Takeoff buttons? The manual was nice but is not exactly like the Android app? It would be nice to have a user manual that actually explained what all the options are used for..
2015-5-2
Use props
coherent
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7411 ft
United States

klimon@equitabl Posted at 2015-5-2 16:57
Does anyone know what the GUIDES option is used for on the Android App? Its on the Map page on the l ...

Agree. Read the manual. Studied the App...  left me with more questions than it answered. I'm hoping that eventually DJI or someone will post a good app tutorial or explanation of all the options and settings.
2015-5-2
Use props
jon.jongodfrey
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Great questions... I guess we'll have to play when they arrive to be sure.  

I'm testing an Nvidia Shield. Logic is; it's Android so no wait for iOS. Graphics are supper strong as it's a gaming device.  It's got mini HDMI out so opens up external monitors (I hope). It has SD card reader so I can change storage if I need to download maps.  It also has a full HD screen... and it's cheap.... sorry good value.

If it's no good I'll return it and go with the iPad Air when the iOS app is stable.
2015-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules