Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Audio is more important than video
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I bought my Phantom and Mavic to experience the fun of remote flying, but I quickly discovered that I enjoy making the videos even more than the flying.  So I've been doing lots of reading about making videos - both tutorials and texts.  My latest text is an 800 page tome:  The Filmmaker's Handbook.  I'm in the early stages of this book, but the author did make one statement that I realized I was doing unconciously:  Making judgements based on the audio.  The author of this handbook states that audio is more important than video.  His theory is that viewers will tolerate a poor video with great audio for much longer  than poor audio with great video.  I started paying attention to my own reaction, and it's true.  When I view postings here, if the audio is awful, I won't stay with that video for very long.  How do others feel?
P.S.  I also am sensitive to video length.  I tend to not watch or at least skip through videos that are longer than 3 mintues.  

2018-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

For me, the visual is bigger than the aural.

If I like a video, but dislike the music, I can turn the volume down. Simple.

Have fun, and looking forward to your video productions with post music.
I could watch a great video, for hours... Haha

Here's a marvellous video without an audio track.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It depends upon what audio you use. If it is the sound coming from the subject of the video clip, then yes it is important. But if it is just music, then no, it is not more important than the video. Very often these days, a poor music choice ruins good video clips. A better rule is to say if the sound track adds to the experience then good, otherwise leave it silent. I agree however with your view on length, far too many videos, particularly posted here, are too long and bore the audience.

2018-2-10
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-10 19:29
For me, the visual is bigger than the aural.

If I like a video, but dislike the music, I can turn the volume down. Simple.

I've seen many of your postings, Poker, and you've always got good stuff.  On the Olympics video, sorry, I cannot agree.  With no audio at all, I quickly lost interest.  But, we humans are all different and no rule about what people like will resound with everyone.  The audio statement I quoted was from a cinematography expert, and I happen to agree with him.   But I'm sure some of his films that he thought were great got bad reviews.  
2018-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, there are thousands of wonderful videos floating around the interwebs. Even on the News Groups found in Outlook.

Being an amateur musician, puts the audio of videos in a different frame of mind for me. Often just a distraction, more than adding any benefit.

But I can also see how you and your books author may have differing opinions. That's what's great about living in a democracy. Canada here.
We can have adverse reactions to the same sounds that may please yours and others listening ears.

Silence is Golden...

RedHotPoker
2018-2-10
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-10 21:36
Yes, there are thousands of wonderful videos floating around the interwebs. Even on the News Groups found in Outlook.

Being an amateur musician, puts the audio of videos in a different frame of mind for me. Often just a distraction, more than adding any benefit.

I'm surprised.  I was a professional musician while in college- taught organ for Wurlitzer and played the organ in an Elks Lodge.  As a result, I tend to listen even more intently to music than most.   My wife teases me that, when we hear an orchestra playing, I'll tune in on one or two musicians that I feel really are masters of their instrument and will mention that "I really enjoyed the gal playing viola".   She can't figure out how I can focus on just one instrument among many.  I guess it's just all that training.  Meanwhile, Mr. Canada, I also reffed ice hockey here in San Jose - over 800 games.  Go Sharks!  
2018-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-2-10 22:03
I'm surprised.  I was a professional musician while in college- taught organ for Wurlitzer and played the organ in an Elks Lodge.  As a result, I tend to listen even more intently to music than most.   My wife teases me that, when we hear an orchestra playing, I'll tune in on one or two musicians that I feel really are masters of their instrument and will mention that "I really enjoyed the gal playing viola".   She can't figure out how I can focus on just one instrument among many.  I guess it's just all that training.  Meanwhile, Mr. Canada, I also reffed ice hockey here in San Jose - over 800 games.  Go Sharks!

That's awesome. Nice to meet others here who have music as a major part of their life.

I grew up, with Hohner accordion lessons. Presently, I have a Yamaha Motif XF8 midi to my DTX Multi-12 drum kit. We have a lot of fun. ;-)

Yes, it's possible to pick out key instruments in an orchestra pit. That's listening extreme. Haha

My favorite artist of all time is Maestro Frank V Zappa. Chuckles
Talk about well practiced musicians in his crews, over the years, before his demise to colon cancer.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-10
Use props
Dale 68
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338468 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Personal I think Audio plays a part, when I do my videos I try to use music that goes with the theme, I've seen videos in the past where the maker has just stuck a piece of Rock music on a tranquil flight just to add sound, so I watch it without sound but then to me It's just a run of the mill video, but then again I've watched videos without sound and thought Wow because the content has kept me watching. TBH people probably do the same thing with my videos
2018-2-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dale 68 Posted at 2018-2-10 23:48
Personal I think Audio plays a part, when I do my videos I try to use music that goes with the theme, I've seen videos in the past where the maker has just stuck a piece of Rock music on a tranquil flight just to add sound, so I watch it without sound but then to me It's just a run of the mill video, but then again I've watched videos without sound and thought Wow because the content has kept me watching. TBH people probably do the same thing with my videos

So, post an example... ;-)

Let me have a look, and listen. Ha

RedHotPoker
2018-2-11
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-2-10 20:39
I've seen many of your postings, Poker, and you've always got good stuff.  On the Olympics video, sorry, I cannot agree.  With no audio at all, I quickly lost interest.  But, we humans are all different and no rule about what people like will resound with everyone.  The audio statement I quoted was from a cinematography expert, and I happen to agree with him.   But I'm sure some of his films that he thought were great got bad reviews.

Agreed ...

The Olympics video above - I couldn't watch more than a very short part as I always feel someone has plugged my ears when I see a silent video.

I value the video most - but silent ? I have problem with that.

I hate videos with raucous Rap etc. - but if the music is chosen to try and match the video .... then it makes it so much more enjoyable - even to watching crappy videos like mine !

We are a sensory creature and depriving one or other makes us feel odd.

If I want to have the sound at the time of video - then I will use my GoPro or Soloshot to record ... I then strip the audio and add it to the P3 video. If not - then I scroll through Free Music Archive looking for suitable audio to match the character of the video - or to convey a theme ...
I do admit that I tend to leave my videos too long - but I'm no expert at creating videos ...

Nigel
2018-2-11
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

To me it all depends on what the message is. If the video is an interview or some similar type then 100% the audio is more important. However with drone videos most of the time it's about the views (or actually should be in the first place), so in this case video is what you should focus on. Of course, the perfect production should be an appropriate mix of both, that's why the art of editing is not an easy one...
2018-2-11
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I think Alfred Hitchcock summed it all up many years ago .....

Maybe some of you do not remember his TV program ?

But he explained construction of his famous scenes such as the Shower Murder in 'Psycho' ... you never see any actual murder - BUT his choice of audio makes you believe it is there.

The massed flocks attacking in the 'Birds' ....

Nigel
2018-2-11
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Switching on honesty mode: I turn audio off before watching any drone video. I am a very picky music listener. If it's not my taste, it's fingernails on a blackboard to me. I've watched video here then turned the audio on just to hear what it was, and that cemented my opinion. IMHO 90% of all popular music is just a screeching bird on a skipping record player. Today I was at a store to make a large purchase and just 10 minutes in, the repetitive noise masquerading as music, caused me to walk out. I went home and ordered on Amazon. This issue has made it very difficult for me to choose audio for my own videos, as I'm sure my taste in music puts me out on a limb somewhere. Although, I'm pretty happy with the track used on the video where I fell in a hole on the beach and crashed my P1.

Jeff
2018-3-4
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
United States

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-3-4 14:40
Switching on honesty mode: I turn audio off before watching any drone video. I am a very picky music listener. If it's not my taste, it's fingernails on a blackboard to me. I've watched video here then turned the audio on just to hear what it was, and that cemented my opinion. IMHO 90% of all popular music is just a screeching bird on a skipping record player. Today I was at a store to make a large purchase and just 10 minutes in, the repetitive noise masquerading as music, caused me to walk out. I went home and ordered on Amazon. This issue has made it very difficult for me to choose audio for my own videos, as I'm sure my taste in music puts me out on a limb somewhere. Although, I'm pretty happy with the track used on the video where I fell in a hole on the beach and crashed my P1.

Jeff

Well, I absolutely agree with you about the current state of modern music.  I'm still a "Big Band" era music lover.  You know, when music writers were trained and skilled in their art, and the musicians were masters of their instruments.  And if turning off the music works better for you, then that's what video is all about - enjoying what you view.  My experience on this forum is that the majority of the videos I watch have good to excellent music.  I do find some - not many - that are "fingers on the blackboard" - as you describe.  So keep enjoying this forum, in which ever way you choose.
2018-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules