LoKauf PGYTECH ND-PL Lens Filters for Mavic Air
4860 38 2018-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
photogaff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 274472 ft
Ireland

Does anyone have any feedback or experience with "LoKauf PGYTECH ND4-PL ND8-PL ND16-PL ND32-PL Lens Filters Accessories"  for the Mavic Air? I'm tempted to buy them, over the PolarPro ones (they're not available on Amazon.co.uk yet).

Does anyone have any experience with Pgytech optics overall, or are they just another brand trying to cover all areas of the accessories market?
2018-2-11
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

I second that question, would really like to know.
2018-2-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PGYTech do make some of the best third party accessories for DJI products - so much so that DJI actually offer their products on their own online store - so have a business affiliation with them. The ND filters are generally very good quality but not quite as good as polar pro IMO.
2018-2-11
Use props
photogaff
lvl.2
Ireland

Hey,

Yeah I can't seem to find any commentary about them yet - too soon I suppose. I'm trying to see if I can read between the lines on optical quality for the Mavic Pro and see if that's suitable enough.. I'm sure the quality would transfer, despite the different filter profile.
2018-2-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The optics on the polar pro cinema series for the MP are fantastic. That said, I recently took delivery of the new DJI ND filters for the MPP which includes the ND32 and I have to say they are the best Mavic filters I’ve owned to date. I believe the DJI ND’s for the Air will come out soon too. May be worth waiting for...
2018-2-11
Use props
photogaff
lvl.2
Ireland

Have you any feedback on the PolarPro circular polariser filters?
2018-2-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I owned the vivid collection cinema series from PP before. They are great when recording over very reflective surfaces such as sea, lakes and snow and also make the blues pop more but they were a hassle lining up the polarisation before take off and as soon as you yawed the drone and the light angle changed I found a lot of polarised artefact in my image. I stopped using polarisers on drones a while ago.
2018-2-11
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-2-11 05:15
I owned the vivid collection cinema series from PP before. They are great when recording over very reflective surfaces such as sea, lakes and snow and also make the blues pop more but they were a hassle lining up the polarisation before take off and as soon as you yawed the drone and the light angle changed I found a lot of polarised artefact in my image. I stopped using polarisers on drones a while ago.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, I was holding off buying filters because I couldn't choose between polarized or non-polarized filters. I feared when going for polarized ones that it would be to much of a hassle changing orientation, so its good to read the conformation.

Now choosing between Polarpro and PGYTech, I'm having trouble justifying the extra expense of Polarpro's, and if I, as an totally untrained eye would even see the benefit or if the PGYTech's are good enough.  (there is always something better you can buy, but do I really need the best money can buy?)

2018-2-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-11 06:04
Thank you for sharing your experiences, I was holding off buying filters because I couldn't choose between polarized or non-polarized filters. I feared when going for polarized ones that it would be to much of a hassle changing orientation, so its good to read the conformation.

Now choosing between Polarpro and PGYTech, I'm having trouble justifying the extra expense of Polarpro's, and if I, as an totally untrained eye would even see the benefit or if the PGYTech's are good enough.  (there is always something better you can buy, but do I really need the best money can buy?)

When flying for what I call 'home use' you don't need the best for sure. The important thing with filters for general usage is that the weight and design does not impact on the gimbal performance or cause micro shakes in the images - you will find this with cheaper filters and even ones which have to be put on after turning on the drone as they prohibit the sensor calibration on start up. A good set of ND shutter filters that fit perfectly will be fine. PGYTech will do the job.
2018-2-11
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-2-11 06:20
When flying for what I call 'home use' you don't need the best for sure. The important thing with filters for general usage is that the weight and design does not impact on the gimbal performance or cause micro shakes in the images - you will find this with cheaper filters and even ones which have to be put on after turning on the drone as they prohibit the sensor calibration on start up. A good set of ND shutter filters that fit perfectly will be fine. PGYTech will do the job.

Great, PGYTech it is for me!  
2018-2-11
Use props
photogaff
lvl.2
Ireland

Excellent stuff! Thanks for the info
2018-2-11
Use props
jh8
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It would also be nice to know if the gimbal cover will still fit with the filter installed.
2018-2-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jh8 Posted at 2018-2-11 08:21
It would also be nice to know if the gimbal cover will still fit with the filter installed.

They do with the MP/P - not sure about the Air but doesn't look like it with that gimbal lock.
2018-2-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

photogaff Posted at 2018-2-11 08:18
Excellent stuff! Thanks for the info

No probs! Enjoy your new drone.
2018-2-11
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

jh8 Posted at 2018-2-11 08:21

Yeah this would be good to know. We know the PolarPro ones allow to use the gimbal cover still, I'd hope these ones do too.
2018-2-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-2-11 03:18
The optics on the polar pro cinema series for the MP are fantastic. That said, I recently took delivery of the new DJI ND filters for the MPP which includes the ND32 and I have to say they are the best Mavic filters I’ve owned to date. I believe the DJI ND’s for the Air will come out soon too. May be worth waiting for...

Even better than PP?
2018-2-11
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep - the new DJI ones are amazing quality! And includes 4 in the set ND4, 8, 16 & 32.

2018-2-11
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-11 06:41
Great, PGYTech it is for me!

I have used Taco ND filters for the mavic pro, never had problems, very high quality.
http://taco-rc.com/mavic-air-accessories/
2018-2-11
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-11 06:04
Thank you for sharing your experiences, I was holding off buying filters because I couldn't choose between polarized or non-polarized filters. I feared when going for polarized ones that it would be to much of a hassle changing orientation, so its good to read the conformation.

With our brand you are paying extra for color neutrality, glass with a lower refractive index, advanced scratch resistant optical coatings, a lifetime warranty with US based customer support, and a pretty sweet filter calculator app, and you have me as a resource on here But its all personal preference on what you value.
Happy to answer any questions you have!
-Jeff from PolarPro
2018-2-11
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I bought a set of PGYTech filters for my P4 Pro - very happy with them. The frames are aluminium, the optics great quality, durability appears sound, and the price was half that of Polar Pro. I'd love to afford those guys because of everything which Polar Pro Jeff says, but I just don't see the value given the cost difference.
Without hesitation, I will be buying PGYTech for my Mavic Air when they become available.
2018-2-11
Use props
Pebowski
lvl.2
Austria

PolarPro Posted at 2018-2-11 12:38
With our brand you are paying extra for color neutrality, glass with a lower refractive index, advanced scratch resistant optical coatings, a lifetime warranty with US based customer support, and a pretty sweet filter calculator app, and you have me as a resource on here  But its all personal preference on what you value.
-Jeff from PolarPro

What I'm missing at PP is a set with 4/8/16/32 . This really would be fine.
And will you update your very fine app in the near future for the Air?
Regards,
Peter
2018-2-12
Use props
Pebowski
lvl.2
Austria

A CW Posted at 2018-2-11 11:26
Yep - the new DJI ones are amazing quality! And includes 4 in the set ND4, 8, 16 & 32.

Would be nice if a 4 filter set would also be available for the Air.
2018-2-12
Use props
Pebowski
lvl.2
Austria

Does anyone know, if the PGYTECH filters are for screwing or plug on?
2018-2-12
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

PolarPro Posted at 2018-2-11 12:38
With our brand you are paying extra for color neutrality, glass with a lower refractive index, advanced scratch resistant optical coatings, a lifetime warranty with US based customer support, and a pretty sweet filter calculator app, and you have me as a resource on here  But its all personal preference on what you value.
-Jeff from PolarPro

Hi Jeff, the feedback with the explanation of the differences are appreciated. I can understand where the price difference is comming from. I'm sure they are top notch and they have a lot going for them but like others already said was that there is no all in one package I'm looking for (ND4 to ND32), so I would need an additional package to get what I want, and in the process I'd pay for filters I wouldn't need.
Aditionally my experience with buying from the US is that pretty much all packages get stopped by customs and get an extra tax charge, while packages from china slip trew 99 out of 100 times.
I'm not trying to be a cheapskate, but it does add up and I can only spent my money once.

2018-2-12
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Pebowski Posted at 2018-2-12 02:02
What I'm missing at PP is a set with 4/8/16/32 . This really would be fine.
And will you update your very fine app in the near future for the Air?
Regards,

Hey Peter, you can custom order your own set, just shoot our support team an email: support@polarpro.com.

And yes the Mavic Air is being added, but the Mavic Pro on the app is exactly the same shutter speeds and calculations, so you can use that for now
-Jeff from PolarPro
2018-2-12
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-12 04:29
Hi Jeff, the feedback with the explanation of the differences are appreciated. I can understand where the price difference is comming from. I'm sure they are top notch and they have a lot going for them but like others already said was that there is no all in one package I'm looking for (ND4 to ND32), so I would need an additional package to get what I want, and in the process I'd pay for filters I wouldn't need.
Aditionally my experience with buying from the US is that pretty much all packages get stopped by customs and get an extra tax charge, while packages from china slip trew 99 out of 100 times.
I'm not trying to be a cheapskate, but it does add up and I can only spent my money once.

You can order custom packages from our support team at the moment, and very soon direct from our website
-Jeff from PolarPro
2018-2-12
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

PolarPro Posted at 2018-2-12 07:31
You can order custom packages from our support team at the moment, and very soon direct from our website  
-Jeff from PolarPro

Hi Jeff,

Will that be possible for us in the UK (and rest of world I guess)?

Also any plans for standard series to have ND32 and ND64, and maybe ND32/PL and ND64/PL? Personally I don't think my use warrants the premium of the Cinema Series, but would like a complete set in Standard Series (all 10 - 4,8,16,32,64 with PL variants). So far I'm going to go for the Standard Series 6 pack, but I can easily see on summer holidays that I'd need the ND32 and ND64 to get good frame rates.

Always the problem with filters - I have the same with my mirrorless camera - you end up wanting one for every occasion!
2018-2-12
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cameleon Posted at 2018-2-12 07:41
Hi Jeff,

Will that be possible for us in the UK (and rest of world I guess)?

Yes we ship worldwide

Our initial custom sets will be for the Cinema Series, and if we get enough interest to roll it out to the Standard Series we will consider that too.

Thanks for the feedback!
-Jeff from PolarPro
2018-2-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pebowski Posted at 2018-2-12 02:16
Would be nice if a 4 filter set would also be available for the Air.

I'm sure it will be - the original DJI ND filters for the MP were only a set of 3 but the replacement version is now 4. The MA is a very new design - it's good that there are ND filters already available so soon after it's release.
2018-2-12
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-2-12 11:15
I'm sure it will be - the original DJI ND filters for the MP were only a set of 3 but the replacement version is now 4. The MA is a very new design - it's good that there are ND filters already available so soon after it's release.

Odd that if they realised that ND32 was so widely used that they didn't do a 4 filter kit straight off the bat.
2018-2-12
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Probably due to costs.
2018-2-12
Use props
Pebowski
lvl.2
Austria

PolarPro Posted at 2018-2-12 07:30
Hey Peter, you can custom order your own set, just shoot our support team an email: support@polarpro.com.

And yes the Mavic Air is being added, but the Mavic Pro on the app is exactly the same shutter speeds and calculations, so you can use that for now  

Thanks for the quick replay.

I have chosen the Pro, but with the frames per second there are 48 instead of 50. Ok, that's nearly the sane, but the AIR has 50. ;-)
2018-2-12
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Pebowski Posted at 2018-2-12 15:18
Thanks for the quick replay.

I have chosen the Pro, but with the frames per second there are 48 instead of 50. Ok, that's nearly the sane, but the AIR has 50. ;-)

If you regularly shoot in 50fps, you can use the P4P as your base aircraft and that has the 50fps on it
-Jeff from PolarPro
2018-2-12
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-2-12 14:09
Probably due to costs.

I'm sure some product manager weighed it up. Annoying for me because I'd quite happily pay a bit more for it, but now wont buy the 3 filter kit as there's no way to get the forth.

Think I will most likely get the PolarPro standard series 6 pack and then hopefully they will do the ND32/64 later and I can get them too
2018-2-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cameleon Posted at 2018-2-13 01:04
I'm sure some product manager weighed it up. Annoying for me because I'd quite happily pay a bit more for it, but now wont buy the 3 filter kit as there's no way to get the forth.

Think I will most likely get the PolarPro standard series 6 pack and then hopefully they will do the ND32/64 later and I can get them too

Best place to buy PP ND filters in the UK is Amazon. Let us know how you get on with them when they arrive.
2018-2-13
Use props
AM0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 415554 ft
Estonia

PolarPro Posted at 2018-2-12 19:16
If you regularly shoot in 50fps, you can use the P4P as your base aircraft and that has the 50fps on it
-Jeff from PolarPro

I don't see any aircraft selection options in Android version. Are you talking about iOs version?
There is no way to choose 25 fps or 50 fps or any other multiplier of 25 in Android version. :-(
2018-2-13
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

AM0 Posted at 2018-2-13 05:58
I don't see any aircraft selection options in Android version. Are you talking about iOs version?
There is no way to choose 25 fps or 50 fps or any other multiplier of 25 in Android version. :-(

Ah yes correct, the Android version is about 1.5 months behind the IOS build. Look for the new Android one to be updated shortly
-Jeff from PolarPro
2018-2-13
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-2-13 02:10
Best place to buy PP ND filters in the UK is Amazon. Let us know how you get on with them when they arrive.

Now available on Amazon (from Crooked Imaging) and also from RC Geeks. I had good service from RC Geeks before so went for the Cinema 6 pack over the standard series ones in the end. Damn you PP for tempting me with the better glass and coatings
2018-2-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cameleon Posted at 2018-2-21 02:40
Now available on Amazon (from Crooked Imaging) and also from RC Geeks. I had good service from RC Geeks before so went for the Cinema 6 pack over the standard series ones in the end. Damn you PP for tempting me with the better glass and coatings

6 Pack is the best option for sure
2018-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules