Sparks cooling fan - does yours do this?
2715 32 2018-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
250Flyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19170 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, Now this is in the correct section.

Could anyone here help me please and or confirm? Today I noticed that when I plug the DJI charger into my Spark’s USB port to charge the battery (Spark turned off) the Sparks cooling fan turns on for a few seconds then turns off and continues to charge as normal - Is this NORMAL?

Has anyone else noticed this when charging their Spark via USB? You have to listen as you plug in your charger via the Spark it self using the USB.

It’s bugging me and I cant find any info or anyone mention this.

Please respond it’s worrying me.

Thanks so much!

2018-2-11
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Has anyone checked this?
2018-2-11
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Any help would be great, many views but no replies..

2018-2-11
Use props
mali
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55066 ft

Serbia

try with dji assistant 2.do a factory reset with it and try again.maybe it solwes problem
2018-2-11
Use props
rimza
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3307 ft
Brunei

Normally I use the charging bay for 3 batteries. I tried a few minutes ago connecting the spark directly to the DJI charger, but did not hear then fan running though. Maybe your Spark internal temperature are high so the fan just do its thing.

2018-2-11
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

rimza Posted at 2018-2-11 06:46
Normally I use the charging bay for 3 batteries. I tried a few minutes ago connecting the spark directly to the DJI charger, but did not hear then fan running though. Maybe your Spark internal temperature are high so the fan just do its thing.

The spark was cool. You have to listen carefully just as you plug in the USB into the spark (Spark switched off). For about 1.5seconds the fan boots up then shuts down. Charges as normal.
2018-2-11
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I’ve just checked again. Its not the fan its the flight controller I THINK that sounds a sequence as you plug in the USB
2018-2-11
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 61850 ft
United States

I haven't heard the fan turn on while charging via USB.  I'd plugged the Spark in to the charger just before reading this thread.  It's about 70 degrees F in the house.  Battery was at about 50% and had only been running a few minutes to do the NFZ database update.
2018-2-11
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Lee Moon Posted at 2018-2-11 07:01
I haven't heard the fan turn on while charging via USB.  I'd plugged the Spark in to the charger just before reading this thread.  It's about 70 degrees F in the house.  Battery was at about 50% and had only been running a few minutes to do the NFZ database update.

Please do me a favour.

Plug in your Spark via USB again (Spark off) and swtich on the wall outlet as your Spark is plugged in via USB. As you do this (please put your ears close to the Spark and tell me if you hear anything at all.

Its not the fan but some kind noise when the power hits the main board via USB to charge.

2018-2-11
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

250Flyer Posted at 2018-2-11 07:06
Please do me a favour.

Plug in your Spark via USB again (Spark off) and swtich on the wall outlet as your Spark is plugged in via USB. As you do this (please put your ears close to the Spark and tell me if you hear anything at all.

Just tried unplugging and plugging the USB cable into the Spark.  Absolutely silent when I do that.  I listened for a few seconds to see if I could hear anything.  
Sorry I couldn't verify what you're experiencing.
2018-2-11
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Try a different USB charger in case your charger's 5 volt output has a sine wave riding on it.  A sine wave is used to turn these fans.  Otherwise, the different operation of your Spark while USB charged through the Spark's port doesn't indicate a problem.
2018-2-11
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

*EDIT* sorry for any confusion guys, I will clear this up now...

Its NOT the fan I hear when the drone is cold. When the drone has been flew and I then go ahead and recharge the battery via USB as I plug in the USB I (THEN) hear the fan for a second then it shuts off.

So just to clear confusion and make it clear to understand:

The drone now has been sitting over night with 40% charge. If I plug in the USB via the drone now (while the Spark is cold or has not been flown) I do NOT hear the fan for that split second like I do when its warm or has been flown and I charge it just after its been flown)

Now, I do hear a slight power sequence as I plug in the USB to charge the Spark when its cold but its not the fan.

Now, if the Spark is warm from a flight or the Spark has been sitting charging for 5-10mins via USB and I THEN take it off the USB charger and put it BACK on the charger via USB right away (in a split second) the FAN boots up for a second and then charges normally.

So, when its cold and I charge it via USB (no fan but a slight sequence as power hits main board).

When WARM or Spark has been charging for 5 mins I turn the charger OFF and ON again AFTER its Warm OR has been charging for 5 mins - fan boots up for 1 second and shuts off continues to charge normally

Again, I have explained this as best I could.

2018-2-11
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

250Flyer Posted at 2018-2-11 07:49
*EDIT* sorry for any confusion guys, I will clear this up now...

Its NOT the fan I hear when the drone is cold. When the drone has been flew and I then go ahead and recharge the battery via USB as I plug in the USB I (THEN) hear the fan for a second then it shuts off.

I'll try to remember to listen when I bring the Spark back inside after flying later today.  The battery and Spark will be warm then.  
If I get a result, I'll be sure to reply back.
2018-2-11
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

^ Thanks

More input on this would be nice as I’m a little worried as no one else has reported any of these observations
2018-2-11
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

I tested my Spark when I plug in the USB charge cable it no noise at all.
2018-2-11
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

dji TO88 Posted at 2018-2-11 09:52
I tested my Spark when I plug in the USB charge cable it no noise at all.

Seems to have gone away since I updated it.

It could just be a bug or something?
2018-2-11
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

I charge my battery in the Spark after flying,, never heard this sound at all. All I get is a green light on the battery..
2018-2-11
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

250Flyer Posted at 2018-2-11 11:21
Seems to have gone away since I updated it.

It could just be a bug or something?

I brought my Spark in after flying for about 10 minutes.  Have a little more than 30% power left.  Plugged in the USB cable to start charging and still no sound from it. No fan, no electronic noise, just silence.

I see where you haven't had the noise since updating.  Maybe it was just a bug/fluke.

Let us know if you need more feedback or testing.  I'd be happy to do what I can over here.
2018-2-11
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Lee Moon Posted at 2018-2-11 14:00
I brought my Spark in after flying for about 10 minutes.  Have a little more than 30% power left.  Plugged in the USB cable to start charging and still no sound from it. No fan, no electronic noise, just silence.

I see where you haven't had the noise since updating.  Maybe it was just a bug/fluke.

Will do. And thank you so much for that.

Appreciate it Lee
2018-2-11
Use props
Wreo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531014 ft
Canada

Mine doesn’t do that
2018-2-11
Use props
Lee Moon
Second Officer
United States

250Flyer Posted at 2018-2-11 14:14
Will do. And thank you so much for that.

Appreciate it Lee

You are very welcome!
2018-2-11
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wreo Posted at 2018-2-11 14:19
Mine doesn’t do that

Strange. Someone on the Spark forum said theirs does it and I have a screen shot of another thread where a DJI moderator said the following(see middle text on the screen shot).

Not sure what to make of it?
2018-2-11
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

2018-2-11
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

It seems normal. Mine doesn't do that, but that's what computers do to cool themselves off.
2018-2-11
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

eman_vg Posted at 2018-2-11 14:35
It seems normal. Mine doesn't do that, but that's what computers do to cool themselves off.

Appreciate your input I think you’re missing the point?

It does this when the Spark isn’t on, just charging the battery it does it soon as you plug in the charge cable to charge it. Only for a short second you feel the air so its defo the fan coming on for 1 second.

All I can think of is when power hits the main board via Usb it causes the fan twitch or something because  it only happens for that split second as it goes through the main board then to the battery to charge it?

Or it did, at the moment its gone since I updated. The spark functions normally and is super stable with no errors
2018-2-11
Use props
eman_vg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1015440 ft
United States

250Flyer Posted at 2018-2-11 14:53
Appreciate your input I think you’re missing the point?

It does this when the Spark isn’t on, just charging the battery it does it soon as you plug in the charge cable to charge it. Only for a short second you feel the air so its defo the fan coming on for 1 second.

Then I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Seems like it activates for a second then deactivates.
2018-2-11
Use props
250Flyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

eman_vg Posted at 2018-2-11 15:31
Then I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Seems like it activates for a second then deactivates.

It all works as it should and there’s no problems so you’re right.

I appreciate all you guys for the input.  You’ve been super nice unlike the guys over at the Spark Pilots.

Some right nasty work over there, apprently this is a nonsense thread over there according to the editor.

If anyone else wants to add please comment.

Thanks everyone.
2018-2-11
Use props
djiuser_NuStSrDUH3OU
lvl.3
Flight distance : 237789 ft
United States

When i charge mine no fan turns on at all neither does the little lite. My last spark fan turned on and light when charging
2018-2-21
Use props
djiuser_NuStSrDUH3OU
lvl.3
Flight distance : 237789 ft
United States

Dont know why the new one they sent me doesnt but im not worried it charges fine
2018-2-21
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

MIne doesnt make any noise at all even right after it has been flown
2018-2-21
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

I always charge my Spark via USB, and have never experienced the fan running when I plug it in. I wouldn't be too worried about it though.
2018-2-22
Use props
Emil Goranov
lvl.1
Bulgaria

I have the same problem with my Spark and I am trying to figure out what is hapening. You are not the only one ;)
2020-10-22
Use props
Emil Goranov
lvl.1
Bulgaria

I have the same problem with my Spark and I am trying to figure out what is hapening.
You are not the only one ;)
2020-10-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules