Sport Mode Speed/Braking
760 3 2018-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alphadrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151539 ft
United States

Probably not an issue but wondered thoughts on stress to Mavic Air while in sport mode. If you push the thing full throttle as fast as it goes in sport mode and let go, the drone stops extremely fast. It almost sounds like it’s hard on the unit. Also flying around fast while turning just sounds and looks nuts. Anyone ever have a point where the drone fails from flying too hard? I mean it’s awesome it can perform so well under such conditions just wondering if I should be careful?

I feel like when going super fast if you ease back on the stick slowly it stops smoothly. But that’s no good when you’re flying right near ground level and have obsticals to think about, obviously.
2018-2-11
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

mine is a mavic pro not mavic air but to share my experiance. I always fly in sport mode and almost every battery i spend a bit of time doing full speed turns and hard stops and full verticle lifts. it is expensive equipment, sure you should be careful but i think the equipment is capable of handling the stresses you impose on it.
2018-2-11
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

I'm sure these drones are capable of higher speeds and maneuvers, but DJI has surely dialed in a significant safety factor, not just for equipment longevity but also for safety.  That said, based on typical owner experience here in the forums, I'd be far more concerned for pilot error with regard to crashing, neglecting a preflight checklist of some sort, forgetting to monitor battery life and flying out of range (not having enough to get home), keeping your batteries cool in the warm seasons and warm in the cold seasons, high wind and poor weather otherwise, and buggy software/firmware updates.

After almost a year with the Mavic Pro, even with all DJI's problems, equipment failure under standard operations no longer concerns me.  There are a couple software problems that DJI has failed to address that create potentially dangerous flight situations, and I'm not sure why DJI does not consider these high priority fixes.
2018-2-11
Use props
alphadrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151539 ft
United States

I gathered as much. I have had the Phantom series but not the Mavic Pro and so the Air is the first introduction to the Mavic line. It goes very fast in sport mode and when cruising along at 40+ MPH and letting go of the stick, the stop just seemed violent. But all has held up just fine. Agreed on stability of updates. So far with the air I am really impressed with performance all around. Being able to throw in a backpack and not make a spectical out of transporting it through the airport is really nice!
2018-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules