Is this product reliable?
1966 18 2018-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dhillskiier1653
lvl.2
Flight distance : 391818 ft
United States

I have found this signal booster for the phantom 3 standard and I am wondering if it would cause any problems if I use it with my drone. In other words is it a good value? Here is the link:
https://www.banggood.com/DJI-Pha ... mp;cur_warehouse=CN
2018-2-11
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

I use similar on my P3S. It does increase range but just be aware that it makes your signal very directional.
2018-2-11
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Save your money.  Not worth a hill o beans.
2018-2-11
Use props
ghutch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 187375 ft
United States

I use one on my P3S and have gone out over 4000' several times with no loss of signal...
2018-2-11
Use props
stuka75
Second Officer
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Worked for me. Does make signal more directional. Not everyone has obvious results. but it wont hurt to give a try at that price.
2018-2-11
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You're talking about windsurfers, sometimes called reflectors or deflectors and it sometimes includes the word parabolic.  It turns an omni antenna into a directional antenna which enables the pilot to send more signal strength in the desired direction.  They have to be well designed... IMO they should be supported at both ends of the antenna to maintain the correct and consistent distance from the antenna at both top and bottom and also so that the deflected signal is sent in the intended direction with precision (not too high/low) - relative to the primary non-deflected signal.  The surface of the deflector should be uniformly curved and not warped - and the surface should also be smooth.  Ideally, the antenna assembly would be aimed by the pilot perfectly - not only in terms of left/right, but also up/down.  They won't work with some Phantoms such as the P3SE since the stick antenna doesn't communicate with the AC.  They also won't help FPV range with the P3S since the FPV antennas are hidden inside the controller on that system.  The P4 controller (and the other three P3 systems) has two visible antennas, both of which communicate with the AC, so they should all work nicely, and there is plenty of evidence of increased range all over the internet in forums and youtube.  Erskin's original design circa 2002 works for both 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz.  And that's convenient since many of the systems these days can switch between those two frequencies.  These aren't Erskin's exact design, however, as the deflectors we see today on Amazon and eBay that are made for twin antennas aren't as wide - and also the focal point is not set as deep within the parabola.  Still - RC pilots have been using variations of this windsurfer design since at least 2013 and range is improved even if the deflector design isn't quite perfect.
2018-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If longer flights are your goal, You would be much happier with a Phantom 3 Advanced or Pro' with Lightbridge.

Really take your drone out there long distances. I use Lume Cubes and can keep my VLOS far out, much farther than bare bones drone.
http://www.lumecube.com/164.html
Takes your drone to another much higher level.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-11
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-11 12:43
If longer flights are your goal, You would be much happier with a Phantom 3 Advanced or Pro' with Lightbridge.

Really take your drone out there long distances. I use Lume Cubes and can keep my VLOS far out, much farther than bare bones drone.

..exactly visible higher level more sight in the sunset.
2018-2-11
Use props
Zsolti
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1882113 ft
Romania

It helps a lot and it's inexpensive. Just make sure you point it towards your drone for the best results
2018-2-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Zsolti Posted at 2018-2-11 13:15
It helps a lot and it's inexpensive. Just make sure you point it towards your drone for the best results

With Lightbridge, you do the same, with the RC antenna.

Keep the flat sides directed towards the drone at all times.

Works like magic. DJI Blackmagic... ;-)

RedHotPoker

2018-2-11
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

They can be helpful depending on how you use it/them.  As long as you are not paying more than about $10-15 US for them they are worth your investment and if you are attempting to operate in a weak signal environment or to travel long range.
I have a set for my P4P and have noticed some improvement when I was experiencing signal issues.
Note: they do not "boost" the signal or increase its power in anyway, they simply focus more signal towards and from the antenna to improve signal reception/transmission (thus the reason folks state that they are directional in nature)
2018-2-11
Use props
Zsolti
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1882113 ft
Romania

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-11 13:37
With Lightbridge, you do the same, with the RC antenna.

Keep the flat sides directed towards the drone at all times.

Yes, but he has a Standard and wants to improve it's capabilities, not a new drone. Answers like "buy a better product" are never very helpful, are they?   I reached 3km with it which is more than enough in my opinion
2018-2-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Zsolti Posted at 2018-2-12 01:11
Yes, but he has a Standard and wants a windsurfer, not a new drone. Answers like "buy a better product" are never very helpful, are they?   I reached 3km with it which is more than enough in my opinion

Not an answer, just a thought.

If you have a VW but want to go fast, buy a Vette....

Or trade up to a porche. But better rims won't help... ;-)

But yes you are right. Windsurfers are available for $10. Weeeee

RedHotPoker
2018-2-12
Use props
WIMO
lvl.2
Netherlands

for me it works, I also use icarus for dji and these two thinks work perfectly together, I get always 1500m (4500 ft) or more and once 2000m (6000 ft)
2018-2-20
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

It might have been pointed out already, but windsurfers don't actually boost signals. They do help a bit, though. Stage 2 would be an antenna mod like Argtek. Stage 3 is to install actual wifi signal boosters and an external battery. I'm actually subbed to a FB group for boosted P3S's. It seems nuts, but members often have multiple drones and enjoy modding their standards just for the heck of it.
2018-2-20
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-12 01:15
Not an answer, just a thought.

If you have a VW but want to go fast, buy a Vette....

Not really a good analogy.

Lot's of people have VWs (and other cars) that want their particular car to go faster, drive better, be more fun -- etc.

Simple things like going to dual carbs from a single adds significantly more power and speed, for far less than the cost of going to another car.

There's nothing wrong with trying modifications to improve what you have.

Having said that,  I've tried one of the parabolic boosters on my P3S.   It only marginally improved performance.  Probably because I fly in an urban environment with lots of interference -- which the booster won't help much with.

Sid
P.S -  Forgot to add -- I have 2 VWs -- 67 Karman Ghia convertible,  1974 Karman Ghia Coupe.   The 74 is modified with a larger, more powerful engine.   The 67 is bone stock with all of 50 HP.

2018-2-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Those are very nice cars, not VW bugs... Sporty and refined.

My '13 Can Am SpYder RS-S has 100 horses of growling power. Haha

I wanted to buy the Harley trike, but the base model was $40,000.

RedHotPoker
2018-2-20
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-2-20 08:25
Those are very nice cars, not VW bugs... Sporty and refined.

My '13 Can Am SpYder RS-S has 100 horses of growling power. Haha

Those Can-Ams look like fun.   Light weight, high power!!  Looks like a blast!

Not to go off on a tangent,  but with all the silly horsepower wars lately,  I think people forget that you don't need massive HP if you have a light weight vehicle!!!   Of course, if one wants to drive an 8000 lb esclade, then perhaps 1000HP might be needed to get up the driveway!

Sid
2018-2-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

sidtx Posted at 2018-2-20 13:50
Those Can-Ams look like fun.   Light weight, high power!!  Looks like a blast!

Not to go off on a tangent,  but with all the silly horsepower wars lately,  I think people forget that you don't need massive HP if you have a light weight vehicle!!!   Of course, if one wants to drive an 8000 lb esclade, then perhaps 1000HP might be needed to get up the driveway!

Yes, it has quickness off the line. I leave sport bikes behind at the green lights all the time.
We have photo radar at a lot of busy intersections now, so one has to be aware of the line to cross.

Riding horses is pretty fun. One horse power. That's all I need... Haha

If you want 1000 hp, squeeze it into a VW!! Haha image.jpeg

RedHotPoker
2018-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules