Osmo Mobile 2 battery charging issue?
12Next >
49099 52 2018-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mick92627
lvl.2
United States

I ordered an Osmo Mobile 2 from Apple last Wednesday, Feb 7.  My order confirmation said it would be delivered between March 9 and March 23.  Imagine my delight when it showed up on my doorstep 2 days later, Feb 9.

I charged it up fully and used it for 30 minutes or so yesterday, Saturday.  I love the footage and am excited to use it more extensively.

Now today, Sunday, I went to use it and it shows a battery that's fully drained.  

When doing a battery check, it shows one blinking white light and a blinking green light.  When powered on, it goes to normal position for a second, then points down, (meaning, the face of the iPhone is facing straight down while the rear camera is facing straight up,) and powers itself off.

I suppose it's possible that I left it powered on yesterday.  I thought it was powered off when I stopped using it and I will certainly make sure no lights are on when I am done with it today.

But it charged Saturday for 2+ hours and had three solid white battery lights and one solid green light.  Accodring to DJI, that should give me 15 hours of use.

Assuming I'm a doofus and I left it powered on, is there no auto shut off when the device is just sitting on a table for 20 hours?  The manual is silent on the issue of an auto-shutoff feature.

My plan is to fully charge it again today, (it's charging now,) and when I am done with it today, check the battery lights and make a note of how many come on, then make sure it's powered off with no lights on of any color or any state, (solid, blinking etc.)

Then, tomorrow morning, see if it's still holding a charge and if the same number of battery lights come on, or if it exhibits the same drained battery behavior.  

I hope to be able to report that it was just operator error.

2018-2-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Mick, sorry to read on your experience, may I have your current firmware version of Osmo Mobile 2 firstly? Is it the latest version?
The device can only be powered off by long pressing the Power Button for 1.5 seconds, please make sure the device has been powered off successfully and keep us updated if the issue persists.
2018-2-11
Use props
Mick92627
lvl.2
United States

Well the problem has not persisted.  This morning a quick press yielded 3 solid white LEDs, so i guess it was pilot error after all.
2018-2-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Mick92627 Posted at 2018-2-12 08:46
Well the problem has not persisted.  This morning a quick press yielded 3 solid white LEDs, so i guess it was pilot error after all.

Thanks for your update, please operate the Osmo Mobile 2 according to the user manual, if there is any further problem, please let us know.
2018-2-12
Use props
fans65585e79
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4026 ft
Panama

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-2-11 18:29
Hi Mick, sorry to read on your experience, may I have your current firmware version of Osmo Mobile 2 firstly? Is it the latest version?
The device can only be powered off by long pressing the Power Button for 1.5 seconds, please make sure the device has been powered off successfully and keep us updated if the issue persists.

I am having the same problem and am very close to just sending this back.  I have had this for all of a week.  It might have charged once.  Who really knows?

I used the offical DJI cord.  I have charged it with the charging adapter they have recommended.. Green solid light, white flashing light.  2 days on the charger, 10% battery.  I have tried in the computer in both the 2.0 and 3.0 usb ports..  Same exact situation.

I've updated to the latest firmware 2.1.0.20, app 3.1.28

Same thing every time.  The left most light blinks white.  The green light stays solid.  No extra juice whatsoever
2018-2-17
Use props
Jfinch1
New
United States

Mick92627 Posted at 2018-2-12 08:46

I’m having the same issue even after the firmware update, should just send this back to Apple??? Please Advise?
2018-2-18
Use props
fans3a9e6160
lvl.1
Flight distance : 306654 ft
United Kingdom

It took 23 hours to fully charge  ( instead of 2hours) the first time and it was charging from the DJI charger. Is this a known issue and is there a fix available yet. How can I update the firmware to see if that will resolve it.
2018-2-20
Use props
DCVH007
New
United Kingdom

How long should the initial charge take? So far it has been charging continuously for 20 hours, and I still only have 2 white lights lit. Thanks
2018-2-21
Use props
spelaringenroll
New
Sweden

Hi,

I have the same issue. Seems to take forever to charge it. Last night I charged it for the whole night, no battery the next morning.
What to do? Always blinking with just 1 white dot. I have the latest firmware.
2018-2-22
Use props
fans1654d8b3
New

United States

Mine charged once and has been dead ever since. It blinks like it’s charging but nothing is actually happening and connecting shows 1% battery. I’ve left it overnight with the 2.4a charger that worked the one time, along with a 0.5a and a 0.75a. Will return soon if it doesn’t resolve itself.
2018-2-23
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans65585e79 Posted at 2018-2-17 00:43
I am having the same problem and am very close to just sending this back.  I have had this for all of a week.  It might have charged once.  Who really knows?

I used the offical DJI cord.  I have charged it with the charging adapter they have recommended.. Green solid light, white flashing light.  2 days on the charger, 10% battery.  I have tried in the computer in both the 2.0 and 3.0 usb ports..  Same exact situation.

Please provide a video about the problem. We would forward it to our engineers for further check. Thanks for your support.
2018-2-23
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

DCVH007 Posted at 2018-2-21 00:24
How long should the initial charge take? So far it has been charging continuously for 20 hours, and I still only have 2 white lights lit. Thanks

Hi, if you use 5V 2A to charge your osmo mobile 2, it may take 2 hours to fully charge it. Please try to change a charger and try again.
2018-2-23
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans1654d8b3 Posted at 2018-2-23 23:02
Mine charged once and has been dead ever since. It blinks like it’s charging but nothing is actually happening and connecting shows 1% battery. I’ve left it overnight with the 2.4a charger that worked the one time, along with a 0.5a and a 0.75a. Will return soon if it doesn’t resolve itself.

Hey, in this situation, please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support Thanks for your support and understanding.
2018-2-23
Use props
KenJra
New
United States

I would just like to add that I am experiencing a similar problem with extremely long charging times. I have had my Osmo Mobile 2 plugged in with the included cable and a 5V 2A charger for approximately 3 hours. In that time, I've only charged about 25% according to the DJI GO app. I swapped to a second charger and charging rate appears to be identical. Operation appears normal when I tested everything for a few minutes. I am on the 2.1.0.20 firmware.
2018-3-1
Use props
fans1654d8b3
New

United States

I returned mine to Apple. Going to order a new one.
2018-3-2
Use props
fans2848cb42
New

United States

Same issue here. Is "return for refund / replacement" the only mitigation?
2018-3-2
Use props
KonaKoder
New

United States

fans2848cb42 Posted at 2018-3-2 10:46
Same issue here. Is "return for refund / replacement" the only mitigation?

The Apple store will not allow me to return the Osmo for either replacement or refund. That is pretty infuriating, for a product I haven't even owned for 30 days!

Any suggestions?
2018-3-2
Use props
chukka
New

United States

I had the same problem, I used 5v, 2A charger but it didn't work, finally, I used the Samsung USB fast charger and it did the trick.   looks like the energy 18W  battery needs to charged with 9V and 2A .

Type
2018-3-18
Use props
I-mitri
New

United Kingdom

Just recieved mine yesterday. bought from the apple shop online..
Same issue, been connected to my macbook pro retina USB port for over 20 hours and still not even 2/3 charged :O
SO many have posted here with the same issue!
What is the official responce?
2018-3-19
Use props
Almantas Rakeckas
New

Ireland

Received mine today. Using Huawei fast charger. All good.  You can check battery level on Dji go app, in camera mode, to see if your Osmo is actually charging.
2018-3-19
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

I believe most USB output voltage on laptops is 5vdc  plus or minus a tenth.....usually in the 1.5 to 2amp range.

Knowing a little something about LiPo batteries......I don't think you get an efficient charge when inputting 5vdc into a 7.2 volt battery......

So exactly HOW are we charging this Osmo 2 ????  Because I have 2 flashing lights on a brand new unit that's been charging for 3.5 hours......
2018-3-22
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Well I just posted in the other thread......but I went from the laptop to an iPad charger plugged into 110ac

The output is 5.1vdc and 2.1a..... and after being on for about 20 min it went to the 3rd light blinking!!  YAY

Randy
2018-3-22
Use props
Spazz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86588 ft

Samsung Fast Charger did the trick for me....
2018-4-15
Use props
Vgod89
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55699 ft

So what kind of usb charger do we need to be able to charge completely?? Barely getting mine today hope not to have the same issue
2018-4-16
Use props
YeahNope
lvl.3
Canada

Vgod89 Posted at 2018-4-16 08:07
So what kind of usb charger do we need to be able to charge completely?? Barely getting mine today hope not to have the same issue

So, all USB ports offer 5 volts. That's true, whether they are USB ports on a Mac, a PC, or a charger.

However, not all USB ports offer the same amperage, or current. And it's the current that determines the speed your device will charge at.

Page 5 of the DJI Osmo Mobile 2 says this:

"Charging Time: 2 hours (when charging at 2 A)"

The "2 A" bit means "2 Amps".

USB 1 and USB 2 ports only offer 500ma. USB 3 can offer up to 900ma. This is built into the specifications for USB.

Apple has an explanation of the available current on a MacBook's USB ports. It's somewhere between 500ma and 900ma. A typical iPhone charger offers 1A (or 1,000ma).

So, to charge your OM2 in two hours, you need a USB port that's capable of delivering 2A. If the USB port can only deliver 1A, charging will likely take twice as long. If you're using a computer with a USB 1 port that can only deliver 500ma (1/4 of 2A), it's going to take about four times as long, or eight hours.

These numbers are approximate, since the *actual* current delivered will vary, especially on a computer, since the available current may depend on the total power load on the device, whether it's connected to a charger, and so on.

So, a charger capable of delivering 2A should charge the OM2 in two hours. Apple, Samsung and others all make chargers capable of delivering this. Anything else is going to take longer.
2018-4-16
Use props
Spazz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 86588 ft

Try a Samsung Fast Charger... used a cheap charger for 8 hours ... nothing happened... put on Samsung Fast Charger... fully charged in 2 hours
2018-4-16
Use props
fansa1d713c1
New

New Zealand

chukka Posted at 2018-3-18 23:17
I had the same problem, I used 5v, 2A charger but it didn't work, finally, I used the Samsung USB fast charger and it did the trick.   looks like the energy 18W  battery needs to charged with 9V and 2A .

Type

According to the specs on the website the 2.5hr full charge is based off a 10W charger.
2018-5-27
Use props
fansa1d713c1
New

New Zealand

According to the specs on DJI’s websites 2.5 hour full charge is based off using a 10W charger.
8C226E0B-6AC6-4115-A19E-8605E6060D0E.jpeg
2018-5-27
Use props
fans207a29e5
New
Canada

Fear not friends!! You really need to have a charger that is ACTUALLY outputting the 2A and the unit will charge. I had mine plugged in to a Samsung phone charger (2A not "fast") and I had one blinking light and one solid green for HOURS. I used a portable battery that I knew pumped out 2.1A power based on how fast it charges my GoPro camera. The Osmo's second white light started blinking within about 20 minutes. At this point I plugged it back into my 2A phone charger and the unit continued to charge.
2018-6-11
Use props
majorgraphy
New
Hungary

hi fellow terrified dji osmo mobile 2 owners! don't worry, your device is (most likely) not faulty. i was afraid too cause i've charged the device for like 3 hours and still nothing happened (only 1 blinking white led and the green one). after i installed the dji go app and upgraded to the newest firmware i thought ok that's it, my problems will be solved. guess what, it was still there. however i've changed charger methods and it's charging fast!
thanks everyone above me for posting your findings! i also switched from changing the device from my computers usb 1 or 2 ports and using my phone's fast charger. if you're interested it's a oneplus one charger but it doesn't matter. what matter is the Amp output of your charger as multiple people have pointed out here. this charger has 2Amps.
so for example when i've connected the dji cable which came with the package and plugged it in to my pc's USB port, after 15 minutes of charging, the dji go app showed 1% charge. so not that big math, 1 hour charging equals 4% battery charge...
with the faster phone charger it charged like 8% at the same time (~32%/hour sound reasonable) so i'm expecting it will charge it around 3-3.5 hours. i'll cross my fingers (the second white led already blinking) and if i won't update my post here, consider this a working solution
2018-6-12
Use props
snowspeeder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2149 ft
Singapore

I had the same issue with the Osmo 2 that arrived today. So I found an old Samsung adaptor and plugged the DJI cable into it. After an hour, it went from 40+% to 85%.
2018-7-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

snowspeeder Posted at 2018-7-4 07:26
I had the same issue with the Osmo 2 that arrived today. So I found an old Samsung adaptor and plugged the DJI cable into it. After an hour, it went from 40+% to 85%.

That's great! Kindly keep us updated in case you need our assistance.
2018-7-5
Use props
fansb269e298
New
United States

What does the blinking white light mean on my dji osmo 2
2018-11-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fansb269e298 Posted at 11-6 13:12
What does the blinking white light mean on my dji osmo 2

Hi, sorry for the troubles that it may cause. Are you using the charger that comes with the Osmo mobile 2? Did you try to plug the charger into the power outlet? The cable of the charger should be at least 5V and 2 amp charger. Would it be possible if you can provide a video of it? Please keep us posted for further help. Thank you for the support.
2018-11-6
Use props
penguins500
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30 ft
United States

Hello, I bought my Osmo Mobile 2 about half a year ago and when I first got it after it fully charged it could be used for about 10 minutes, WAY less than the supposed 15 hours of use. Now that it has been some time since then my Osmo's usage time has gone down to 1 or less to 3 minutes. I don't know what is going on but it you could provide some advice that would be great!
2019-1-19
Use props
elpy76
lvl.1
Hungary

Hello! Osmo2 Fans!
Yesterday I bought my osmo 2. First charge maximum from low battery level through 24h! This is normal?
Thnx your answer: LP
2019-1-21
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

Is it safe to assume that I'll get the proper power from a DJI Mavic Air charger USB port?
2019-2-4
Use props
Skeeter Honey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1032569 ft
United States

Well, I answered my own question.  It worked like a charm!
2019-2-4
Use props
fans43f057db
New
United States

Hello I tried my DJI as well and so far I didnt have any luck.  I only get 1 white dot blinking and one stable green.. but it feels like its not charging at all.. I tried using different chargers no luck. Check my firmware, 2.2.0.3 (which I believe the most cufrent uptodate firmware?) so still no luck.. Im getting frustrated and definitley need help...
2019-3-24
Use props
fans43f057db
New
United States

Hello I tried my DJI as well and so far I didnt have any luck.  I only get 1 white dot blinking and one stable green.. but it feels like its not charging at all.. I tried using different chargers no luck. Check my firmware, 2.2.0.3 which i believe is the most current firmware. But yet I still dont have any luck..
2019-3-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules