4284 12 2018-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
richparry
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1620148 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI provides 3 short cables to connect the RC with a cell phone. I have an Android Samsung S5 and find the supplied micro USB cable for my phone is either defective or not the cable I need. I notice DJI sells two (2) USB cables "Standard" and "Reverse", I'm wondering if my cell phone requires a different cable.
Anyone know which micro USB cable comes with the MA, "Standard" or "Reverse" (see below). I'm currently using the large USB connector on the bottom of the RC, but would like to use the short USB cable on the side.

https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-rc-cable?vid=19441

Thanks in advance

2018-2-11
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

Use the USB cable that came with your phone, plug it in the bottom USB-connector of the RC and remove the cable from the side connector. The DJI cables are crappy, if you read the comments on this forum you will notice that many people have problems with these cables...
2018-2-11
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

It looks like your Samsung S5 uses a relatively infrequently used MicroUSB 3.0 cable.  The cable DJI supplies is a MicroUSB 2.0 cable.

I don't have the specific answer for you, but maybe this tidbit will help your or someone else to help you.

Best of luck!
2018-2-11
Use props
achim1989
lvl.2
Germany

Reverse just means that they changed the orientation of one of the micro usb plugs in relation to the other one so you dont have to twist the cable too much when connecting your mobile to the RC. This is because the micro usb jack on some mobiles is reverse (i.e. physically upside down).
What I'm trying to tell is that both cables work the same. So there is really no need to get a specific one.

If yours is not working try to do one of the following:
- first turn on the RC, plug the cable then into your mobile and after that into the RC. Thats the way it workwd for the spark. The DJI app evwn started automatically then (at least for me)
- get another cable. They sell them on amazon too. Search for "Micro usb DJi Spark" or similar
- Try to get another mobile or tablet for comparison whether it works there or not. Helps to exclude your mobile from the list of culprits
2018-2-11
Use props
achim1989
lvl.2
Germany

Btw, as others on this forum alreasy mentioned the RC seems to almost always charge your mobile via the cable. More so over the side connector. So its maybe better for your RC battery live to stay with the connector on the bottom
2018-2-11
Use props
richparry
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mari Posted at 2018-2-11 22:07
Use the USB cable that came with your phone, plug it in the bottom USB-connector of the RC and remove the cable from the side connector. The DJI cables are crappy, if you read the comments on this forum you will notice that many people have problems with these cables...

Mari,

Thanks for suggestion, but that is what I am doing now which I mentioned in the original post. I preferred to have a less obtrusive connection. Also the phone isn't held as securely using this method.

My problem isn't preventing me from flying,  but the connection isn't "neat", but I can live with it.

thanks for taking the time to comment.
2018-2-11
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Hi Richparry,

The Mavic came with a 'standard' micro-USB cable, so if doesn't fit now because the port is upsidedown you could order the reversed cable.
It surprised me that DJI opted for delivering a 'standard' cable, all of the phones I've owned had reversed ports.

what you could try in the mean time, is use the short USB-c cable and use the little USB-C to Micro-USB adapter on that cable, that way you could fix the orientation.
2018-2-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Rich, the USB cable on the drone package is the standard version. If the USB cable can connect the RC and mobile device normally, it should be the right cable. But if the app doesn't recognize the RC, if you have an iOS device, please try if the lightning cable works with the iOS device. If it works, it could be the USB cable issue, please contact our support for further help. http://www.dji.com/support
2018-2-12
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hi Rich I opted for one of these to secure my phone and tablet better. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smatree ... tning/dp/B06XY8JBKW and an extended lightning cable for android. Fits both samsung s8 and ipad mini 4 great. The added bonus is I can fit hoods for both phone and tablet.

This got this cable too: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0757JX ... dp_1?language=en_GB
2018-2-12
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

The side cable provided used to be (I don't know at the moment) low quality and either come defective or start failing shortly. I bought a nylon wrapped cable for the side as I want to use that port, I suggest to do that (they're super cheap and solve the problem)

Also check the USB port on your cellphone.  They tend to build up a lot of dirt. I use a small plastic piece that I cut off a coffee cup cover and clean it regularly. You'll notice if it's dirty as the USB doesn't go all the way in (you shoul be seeing no metal part)
2018-2-12
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

... difference betweens standard and reverse is that the Micro-USB connector at the end of the device is up-side-down. Samsung S5 needs standard cable, if the one you got doesn't work it might be defective. Don't waste money on original DJI-cables...
2018-2-12
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

For a less obstructive connection get a cable with 90 degree connector... it fits in the opening of the arm of the RC...  
2018-2-12
Use props
richparry
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mari Posted at 2018-2-12 09:27
For a less obstructive connection get a cable with 90 degree connector... it fits in the opening of the arm of the RC...

Thank you to all that took the time to reply. Based on comments, for now I'll give up on the supplied DJI micro USB cable that connects to the side of the RC and use a short standard cable that connects to the USB connector at the bottom center of the RC.

Thanks,
2018-2-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules