Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Smokey22
Second Officer
Flight distance : 567434 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi DJI-Admins,

I just came back from the first flight with the Mavic Air and I mus say I am very un-impressed by the Range.

I was flying with an iPhone X with iOS 11.2.5 (in Airplane mode), DJI GO 4.2.6, Aircraft 01.00.0200 and Controller 01.00.0100 (Wireless mode set to Auto in DJI GO)

I had diconnects and return-to-homes all the time. I was not able to fly further than 90 meters and not higher than 40 meters. (beginner mode turned off)

I have the Spark and the Mavic Pro as well.

The Spark does disconnect the FPV video sometimes but it still is connected to the controller and can be flown.
The Mavic Pro has no issues with connection or FPV video at all.
The Mavic Air however is actually unusable. I tried a quickshot (Asteroid) and it always disconnected at a hight of 30 - 40 meters.

I understand I'm in CE land but this is nowhere near the DJI announcement. My Spark flies further than the Mavic Air.

What can I do other than return the drone?

Thanks in Advance.
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What frequency are you on?
What environment?
Stupid question, beginners mode?
2018-2-12
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

*What can I do other than return the drone?*

One obvious but maybe even more unrealistic option would be to move to FCC country, like let's say Canada. Range is at least doubled under FCC rules.
2018-2-12
Use props
I am Sparkacus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94626 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe a faulty unit? Maybe external influences? Mine has gone over 10 full batteries and been out over a 1000m at 50m hight  and not a single issue. No  disconnects, no lagging video, no RTH, nada! So I wouldn’t loose faith, there are good ones out there. I had Spark too and had issues at 150m!
2018-2-12
Use props
Smokey22
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Moving to FCC country seems to have done the trick. Now flying normally without any issues. Why is Spark in CE still manouverable and Mavic Pro has no issues at all?
2018-2-12
Use props
Smokey22
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

I am Sparkacus Posted at 2018-2-12 11:43
Maybe a faulty unit? Maybe external influences? Mine has gone over 10 full batteries and been out over a 1000m at 50m hight  and not a single issue. No  disconnects, no lagging video, no RTH, nada! So I wouldn’t loose faith, there are good ones out there. I had Spark too and had issues at 150m!

Are you in CE land? FCC has no issues at all
2018-2-12
Use props
Smokey22
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-12 11:35

One obvious but maybe even more unrealistic option would be to move to FCC country, like let's say Canada. Range is at least doubled under FCC rules.

Yep, FCC works just fine
2018-2-12
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Smokey22 Posted at 2018-2-12 11:54
Moving to FCC country seems to have done the trick. Now flying normally without any issues. Why is Spark in CE still manouverable and Mavic Pro has no issues at all?

Because Ocusync >> Wifi >> Enhanced Wifi
2018-2-12
Use props
Smokey22
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-12 11:16
What frequency are you on?
What environment?
Stupid question, beginners mode?

2.4 and 5.8 Auto and Manual.
Environment is a park (Same as for Spark and Mavic Pro where there are little (Spark) to no (Mavic Pro) issues at all.
Nope, see main post (beginners mode off)
2018-2-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Smokey22 Posted at 2018-2-12 11:59
2.4 and 5.8 Auto and Manual.
Environment is a park (Same as for Spark and Mavic Pro where there are little (Spark) to no (Mavic Pro) issues at all.
Nope, see main post (beginners mode off)

Ok, yes I missed that.
I have seen decent ranges in Germany, but I can't confirm what they do different.
2018-2-12
Use props
I am Sparkacus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 94626 ft
United Kingdom

Smokey22 Posted at 2018-2-12 11:57
Are you in CE land? FCC has no issues at all

Hi, Wiltshire in the UK. Seriously the Air is much, much better than my Spark. Never owned a pro so can’t compare.  Due to LOS rules it goes well beyond my expectations.
2018-2-12
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-12 11:35

Canada is CE
2018-2-12
Use props
JBSP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2057 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been fighting to get mine to work for two weeks, finally giving up after two tech support calls. My AIR will disconnect usually within one minute of flight, I got lucky once and got a 3 or 4-minute flight before the dreaded WEAK SIGNAL DISCONNECT. It doesn't seem like a problem a bunch of people having but I have tried every variable I can with no luck.

I have tried
different locations
different cables, both micro, and the larger USB connect.
iPad, iPhoneX
updated firmware on a computer with assist & tried DJI GO
Tw tech calls both just saying that I need to refresh my updates!

SO FRUSTRATING, I am returning mine today.!

I also own Mavic Pro that NEVER has issues and a Spark which is very limited but at least it functions!

2018-2-12
Use props
JBSP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2057 ft
  • >>>
United States

JBSP Posted at 2018-2-12 12:21
I have been fighting to get mine to work for two weeks, finally giving up after two tech support calls. My AIR will disconnect usually within one minute of flight, I got lucky once and got a 3 or 4-minute flight before the dreaded WEAK SIGNAL DISCONNECT. It doesn't seem like a problem a bunch of people having but I have tried every variable I can with no luck.

I have tried

Also tried both manual and auto selection of WiFi channels
2018-2-12
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

Croatia

Seriously?!?!

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 0&page=1#pid1086970

FCC rules for DJI equipment in Canada. Confirmed by DJI Admin.
2018-2-12
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-2-12 12:26
Seriously?!?!

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 0&page=1#pid1086970

Thank you for that.  I hadn't seen this thread before.  Thanks again.
2018-2-12
Use props
spycorfu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1122989 ft
  • >>>
Greece

I am in Europe and i also own a mavic pro and now a mavic air .. same problem as everyone range is terrible.
Did not notice FCC and CE difference of course before with the mavic pro and range was in both cases amazing! zero interference zero problems.
No with the air and this stupid change to enhanced wifi transmission instead of occusync i have all sorts of problems.
So i did what i had to do and used a gps spoof app to make the air think i am in Nashville USA ha ha ha !... and for the moment it works like a charm!
But seriously the wifi transition of the video and the connection is very buggy especially in CE mode it is almost unusable in areas with trees or buildings and other wifi antenas  etc..
And before anyone tells me that is normal i am comparing it directly to the mavic pro at the same locations, as i have both.
So mavic pro --> no issues
Mavic air --> big problems
++same locations++
2018-2-13
Use props
pawel_g
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509268 ft
Poland

Today I had first disconnect and automatic RTH. I'm in CEE and my RC and Aircraft always chooses 5.8GHz. Looking on the specs in CEE this frequency has only 500m range, ale my disconnect was at around 450m.
I've checked the 2,4GHz band and in the place where I was it was pretty clear (open fields out of city) but there was no way Aircraft and RC switched to 2.4GHz to extend range. Of course I could do the switch manually, but its not supposed to be good solution.
Probably this is the main reason for disconnects in CEE - 5.8GHz is favored (I can understand that, as in the cities and urban areas 2.4Ghz is a crap). But in pretty clear conditions it should switch automatically especially if aircraft is at end of 5.8GHz range, which is 500m.

Br, Pawel.
2018-2-13
Use props
Smokey22
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I tried both auto and manual 2.4 GHz (channels 1-13) and 5.8 GHz (the rest) no change at all. FCC however works just fine, no matter which band or channel is used even in auto mode. I think the transmit power regulation for CE land is simply not enough for Drone usage and DJI should know that and use occusync or lightbridge for CE drones while FCC wifi power is sufficient enough for just wifi in FCC land.
2018-2-13
Use props
djiuser_8vwVSsovxPGK
lvl.3
Canada

I'm also having slight issue with my AIR's image transmission ... very frustrating...

Even my Spark seems to be smoother at same altitude and distance.
2018-2-16
Use props
fans63714777
lvl.1
Indonesia

Have my Air for a week now and so disappointed with limited range, struggling to get above 70meters high without loosing connection to the drone. Tried several locations already, maximum hight I managed to gain is 120m. Bought my Mavic Air in USA but flying at Bali. Always have warning message about signal interference. Trying to understand how common this issue is. Shall I wait for firmware update or bring the drone back to the shop?
2018-2-22
Use props
sreejhu1988
lvl.2
Canada

HI Guys, I just got my new mavic air and I was so excited and i took my first flight an i am totally depressed. My mavic cannot even go to a height of my house. Its disconnect from controller and come to home. thank got atleast that is performing good. else it will land in somebody house.

I am using Iphonex,, latest dji software and latest firmware version.
I did update the firmware using dji assistant 2,, still same issue.
I downgrade the firmware using dji assistant 2,, still same issue.
I am connecting the phone to the controller using the cable. The interesting part is when i was using my spark I never had cable between iphone and my controller.. and i never got a single drop in connection.
The only difference was I was using my old iphone 6 plus...that time

.. very frustrating... Even my Spark seems to be smoother at same altitude and distance. and I nefver had a single drop in connection with controller. I am testing the mavic air in same place (infornt of my house).

Guys please advise..

Note: Mine I just bought from DJI official site.. The flame red edition. I got like yesterday..

2018-5-2
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

sreejhu1988 Posted at 2018-5-2 08:18
HI Guys, I just got my new mavic air and I was so excited and i took my first flight an i am totally depressed. My mavic cannot even go to a height of my house. Its disconnect from controller and come to home. thank got atleast that is performing good. else it will land in somebody house.

I am using Iphonex,, latest dji software and latest firmware version.

Have you activated it already? Have you logged onto your DJI account while online? Have you updated the FlySafe databases? Have you disabled Beginner Mode?Some more possible causes here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... mp;extra=#pid970291
2018-5-2
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Update DJI Go4  for IOS it has been resolved, bug fix
2018-5-2
Use props
sreejhu1988
lvl.2
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-5-2 08:32
Have you activated it already? Have you logged onto your DJI account while online? Have you updated the FlySafe databases? Have you disabled Beginner Mode?Some more possible causes here: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=114148&page=1&extra=#pid970291

Yes, I already activated,
yes i updated the database..
yes the beginner mode is disabled
2018-5-2
Use props
sreejhu1988
lvl.2
Canada

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-2 08:39
Update DJI Go4  for IOS it has been resolved, bug fix

But my app is already the new one. I dont see any updates for my DJI go app in the apple app store
2018-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules